[Game] World Coins Time Machine… Counting Backward by Year! (Plus Prize Coin)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jun 14, 2017.

1. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Lovely coins Q:cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar:

John

Cucumbor, DEA and Jimski like this.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I thought I was out until the next decade and then I stumbled across this one. I'm out till 1565 after this one.

German States - Saxony-Albertine 1577 Thaler

Obverse: Bust right with a sword over right shoulder divides date, 2 small shields of electoral and dual Saxony below, orb at the top begins titles of August I
    Reverse: Shield of 13-fold arms breaks legend at the bottom, 3 helmets above, titles continued

Ruler: August I
    Note: Dav. #9798. Varieties exist.

Composition: Silver

GSSax157701.jpg GSSax157702.jpg

talerman, Siberian Man, jj00 and 8 others like this.
  5. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

1578 Netherlands Barony of HEDEL Frederik van den Bergh Daalder of 30 Stuiver

Hedel Frederik van den Bergh Daalder 30 St 1579 obv 186.jpg Hedel Frederik van den Bergh Daalder 30 St 1579 rev 187.jpg

1578 Netherlands DEVENTER 1/2 Daalder Uniface Siege Klippe

A few wars were going on at this time. This is a coin of the Dutch War of Independence against Spain
    Since 1572 Deventer had been held for Spain by the German Polweiler regiment on behalf of Don John of Austria. The city had to pay for this garrison and eventually had to strike emergency coins (like this) from the town’s silverware to pay the soldiers. In 1578, in a campaign to better protect the regions of Holland and Utrecht from Spanish plundering, troops of the States General under George van Lalaing, Count van Rennenberg, took Kampen and then laid siege to Deventer on 3 August. The starving city surrendered on 19 November 1578

Deventer Half Daalder Uniface Siege Klippe 1578.jpg

1577 Netherlands BREDA Emergency Uniface Siege Stuiver struck in lead

This was a similar story to Deventer.
    Breda was occupied by a Spanish garrison consisting again mainly of German troops. William of Orange's troops, led by Hohenlohe and Champagney , laid siege on August 4 1577 and the city surrendered on October 4. Within the city, the magistrate ordered silver to be brought to the mint to strike emergency coinage of 5000-6000 guilders. In addition, 5000 guilders of tin money was struck. Finally, lead coins were also minted. The city had to support the garrison and most of these coins were used to pay these troops, who behaved badly and were very unpopular. In 1581 the city would fall into the hands of the Spaniards again.

Breda Lead Siege Stuiver 1577 Uniface738.jpg

1577 Poland DANZIG Siege Taler

In the meantime, another little war was going on in Poland which resulted in Poland's only siege coinage. Stefan Bathory was Prince of Transylvania from 1571-1575. Elected King of Poland on 14 Dec. 1575, he resigned as Prince in favour of his younger brother Christoph and travelled to Cracow, arriving on 22 April 1576. He was crowned King of Poland on May 1 and married Anne Jagiello, sister of the late King Sigismund August II, on May 2. Danzig refused to recognise his election. After a 6 month siege,Danzig's army was defeated on 16 Dec. 1577. The siege was lifted in return for recognition and reparations.

Danzig Siege Taler 1577 obv 891.jpg
    Danzig Siege Taler 1577 rev 892.jpg

wcg, Siberian Man, Pellinore and 8 others like this.
  6. talerman

Postscript: a little present for Cucumbor

1577 France DOMBES Louis II de Bourbon-Montpensier Douzain

Dombes Louis II Douzain 1577 obv  774.jpg Dombes Louis II Douzain 1577 rev  775.jpg

Siberian Man, jj00, Jimski and 4 others like this.
  7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Thanks @talerman !

[​IMG]
    France, Dombes - Louis II de Montpensier - teston 1577

[​IMG]
    France, Dombes - Louis II de Montpensier - teston 1576

Q

Siberian Man, jj00, Jimski and 3 others like this.
  8. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Yikes, I stepped away from the keyboard for a couple weeks and missed my last shot with 1583 (looks like that was filled in though). I won't post it as it will totally confuse things to put it up so late, but oh my, this has been a fun thread to come back to! Great coins everyone!

9. talerman

Go on, post it ! Dates are soon going to become more difficult so let's enjoy to the full the fascinating and so varied coinage of the second half of the 16th century.

Jimski and DEA like this.
  10. talerman

Great response, Cucumbor ! I love the lambdas on Louis' coins. Very classy !

Cucumbor likes this.
  11. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Okay..
    combo.jpg

But the year is 1576...

jj00, Jimski, panzerman and 3 others like this.
  12. robp

robp Well-Known Member

c1993-1575 3d eglantine.jpg Elizabeth I 1575 threepence, mm. Eglantine

Siberian Man, jj00, Jimski and 8 others like this.
  13. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

... and a more typical condition sixpence of the same date and mintmark:
    1575 6D 1.JPG 1575 6D 2.JPG

Siberian Man, jj00, Jimski and 5 others like this.
  14. panzerman

Finally I can do my part:happy: Here is a .....
    AV 1/2 Pistole 1575 Trevoux Mint
    Louis II de Bourbon-Montepensier 1560-82
    Duke of Dombes 62e2347d6fdb83d6be841ecaef8bc6c2.jpg

Siberian Man, Pellinore, jj00 and 9 others like this.
  15. talerman

1576 City of STRASBOURG Shooting Taler

Strasbourg Shooting Taler 1576 obv 121.jpg Strasbourg Shooting Taler 1576 rev 122.jpg

Another coin of the Dutch War of Independence.

1575 Netherlands WOERDEN 20 Stuiver Siege Klippe (with inscription added on the reverse after the siege)

Gilles van Berlaymont was stadtholder (governor) of various Dutch provinces for the Spanish Crown. He besieged Woerden from 8 Sept.1575 to 10 Sept. 1576 but withdrew to deal with a mutiny in Flanders.

Woerden Tin 20 Stuiver Siege Klippe 1575 with later rev ins.jpg

wcg, DEA, Siberian Man and 8 others like this.
  16. Cucumbor

He was actually Prince of Dombes
    I'm totally jealous of that one. Being a year I still don't have, you should put me on your will for that one specifically John, pleeeeeeeaaaaaase !

:) Q

panzerman likes this.
  17. Jimski

Jimski Well-Known Member

1575 Sweden 1 öre, Johan III, silver 0.250 fine 0.023 oz
    Sweden 1 ore1575 obv.jpg Sweden 1 ore1575 rev.jpg

Reverse: Crowned shield with the Three Crowns of Sweden and Vasa Arms above a cross with long arms.

This is the 2nd of 3 coins that I bought to extended my dated coins into the 16th century.

This coin is from a period that I consider the glory age of the öre, when a 1 öre coin had sufficient prestige to carry a likeness of the monarch instead of his monogram.

DEA, Siberian Man, Cucumbor and 7 others like this.
  18. panzerman

Thanks for clearing that up.....
    Friedberg list Louis II as being the Duc of Dombes. But when you go to the Dombes section of France/ Feudal States/ its says Princes:happy:
    You must have the "best" Dombes coll. on the planet!

Cucumbor likes this.
  19. Cucumbor

Not yet I'm afraid !
    Bigger than that of the British Museum and the Bibliothèque nationale de France, yes, I believe, but I know of a few very big private collections not known from the public (people can be very shy about what they really have) :)

[​IMG]
    France, Dombes - Louis II de Montpensier - teston 1575

[​IMG]
    France, Dombes - Louis II de Montpensier - douzain 1575

[​IMG]
    France, Dombes - Louis II de Montpensier - teston 1574

Q

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    DEA, Jimski, panzerman and 4 others like this.
  20. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Elizabeth I 1573 sixpence, mm.Acorn (rev. over Ermine) c1801 1573 6d mm.acorn rev over ermine.jpg

Puckles, DEA, Jimski and 7 others like this.
  21. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Sweden.
    2 ore (15)73.
    139.jpg 140.jpg

DEA, Jimski, panzerman and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted