[Game] World Coins Time Machine… Counting Backward by Year! (Plus Prize Coin)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jun 14, 2017.

1. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

I did a little research on this.
    As WCG explained when he posted his 1599 Wasp Taler, Duke Heinrich Julius struck four emblematic or satirical Talers referring to his conflict with some noble families (Steinberg, Stockheim,Saldern): the Wespentaler (Wasp Taler), the Rebellentaler (Rebels Taler), the Lügentaler (Lies or Falsehoods Taler), and the Wahrheitstaler (Truth Taler).

The Lies or Falsehoods Taler presumably gets its name from the legend on the reverse: HVETE.DICH.FVR.DER.TADT.DER.LVEGEN.WIRDT.WOLRADT (which Davenport translates as Protect yourself from the blame of lying; that is advised). This is followed by the Latin TANDEM BONA CAUSA TRIUMPHAT (at length the good cause triumphs). An angel (representing heavenly justice) is portrayed flying down to crown a lion (the duke) who is tearing to pieces a steinbock or ibex (the lords of Steinberg). Right of the lion a rose (the arms of the Saldern family) grows out of a stem (in German Stock = the lords of Stockheim).

Jimski, wcg, DEA and 1 other person like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Here is another of my 1590 examples....
    AV Dukat 1590 Prague Mint
    Rudolf II Holy Roman Emperor

Sorry about my absence from forums, but I have been working non stop since early April in my lawn care business. I am looking after 145 clients all on my own:( Once Fall arrives, my days will be getting shorter....and I can post more,
    John

Jimski and DEA like this.
  4. panzerman

Oops forgot to post coin! 2c5ffa050724cbedab559f6cdb40f968.jpg

jj00, Siberian Man, talerman and 4 others like this.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I think we are to 1588.

Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel Thaler

Obverse: 6-fold arms, 3 helmets above, titles of Julius
    Reverse: Springing horse left, date below, wildman on right holding tree trunk in right hand, skull, hourglass, and spectacles in left
    Reverse Legend: ALIIS INSERVIENDO: CONSVMOR GOSLARIÆ

Ruler: Julius
    Note: Dav.#9067. Spectacle Thaler.

Composition: Silver

GerBru158801.jpg GerBru158802.jpg

PaulTudor, Stork, jj00 and 9 others like this.
  6. panzerman

Great looking coin!

Chris B likes this.
  7. talerman

1588 STRASBOURG, City Medallic Taler to commemorate alliance with Zurich and Berne (I hope this is not too medallic for this thread)

Strasbourg Alliance Taler 1588 obv  111.jpg Strasbourg Alliance Taler 1588 rev  110.jpg

PaulTudor, Stork, jj00 and 9 others like this.
  8. panzerman

Nice coin Talerman:happy: My next example is 1584, so will wait till we get to that date.

9. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

My next coin is 1584 too.

panzerman likes this.
  10. talerman

If I may step into Cucumbor's domain

1587 France DOMBES François II de Bourbon-Montpensier Double tournois 1587

(Cucumbor will probably have a better one)

Dombes Francois II Double tournois 1587 obv 396.jpg Dombes Francois II Double tournois 1587 rev 400.jpg

jj00, Cucumbor, DEA and 5 others like this.
  11. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice one !
    I don't have a 1587 double tournois, but a douzain :

[​IMG]
    Douzain, billon - 1587
    + FRANCIS . P . DOMBAR . D . MONTIS . M Ecu de Bourbon couronné, dans le champ, deux F couronnés
    + DNS . ADIVT : ET . REDEM . MEVS . 1587 Croix échancrée cantonnée de couronnes
    2.11 gr
    Ref : Divo Dombes # 68, Poey d'Avant # 5136

Q

Stork, jj00, DEA and 5 others like this.
  12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Ya know, all I did was check this thread just to see where you guys were now. And bear in mind, I haven't checked since ya started. And what do I see when I get there - the last coin posted was 1587. :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Coincidence ? Magic ? Intercession of the coin gods ?

I couldn't have planned stuff like this if I tried !!!

A couple of you might know what I'm talking about by now, maybe even more than a couple. But in any case, all of ya will now !

1586 ducat obv.jpg 1586 ducat rev.jpg

I don't think I need to describe this for you guys to know what it is - do I ? :D

And no this is NOT an entry in your game - I simply couldn't resist what was presented to me - by whatever it was that presented it to me ;)

Stork, jj00, wcg and 9 others like this.
  13. panzerman

That design seems to have gone on forever;) Thanks for posting it! Hope someone has a 1585....

14. panzerman

Jeepers creepers! I forgot that I had one:banghead: What an idiot!

Anyway here is my ONLY 1585, an oldie, but a goodie!
    AV Dukat 1585 Reichstein Mint MS-66
    Baron Wilhelm Von Rosenberg
    I had to trim quite a few hedges to afford it:(
    I hope that is not a figure of the Baron on reverse! 016ee21e2b4b85429eac33f7f85ed486.jpg

Stork, jj00, wcg and 8 others like this.
  15. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Hungary.
    Denar 1584.
    183.jpg 184.jpg

jj00, coin_nut, Jimski and 4 others like this.
  16. panzerman

I respond with my 1584

AV Dukat 1584 Klagenfurth Mint MS-64 ex: Terner Collection
    Archduke Karl of Austria 28ba7c36c1de04e70a7575ae5a068b64.jpg

Stork, jj00, wcg and 5 others like this.
  17. talerman

Fabulous coin from rare mint ! As I am sure you know, the guy on the reverse is St. Christopher, the patron saint of travellers. Supposedly he carried a child, who was unknown to him, across a river before the child revealed himself as Christ. I do not know if he resembled Baron Wilhelm.

edited to fix quote tags

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2018
    DEA, Jimski, panzerman and 1 other person like this.
  18. talerman

This thread has suddenly taken off like a rocket ship. Let me catch up with 3 coins which I hope others find as interesting as I do.

1586 AACHEN 6 or 8 Heller Coin struck by Evangelical government (1581-98).

The number of Protestants in Aachen grew steadily in the 16th century and, after an uprising in 1581, they took control of the city council in defiance of the Emperor. Expelled from the Kreisprobationstage (imperial circle coin testing ), the city struck new coins to a lower standard and added LIBERAE (of the free) to the legend. In 1596 the Emperor regained control and all this ended.

Given the lower standard, there is some disagreement as to the denomination. Menadier (1913) calls it a 6 Heller or Fettmannchen ( because of their greasy shine) and Krause follows (KM.MB 24). However, a more recent work by Krumbach (1989) calls it an 8 Heller.

Aachen 6 or 8 Heller 1586 obv 206.jpg Aachen 6 or 8 Heller 1586 rev 208.jpg

1585 Austria-Hungary Rudolf II Crude copy of Hungarian Taler (Dav.8066) with skinny script, probably struck in the Balkans for trade with the Ottomans. In the obverse legend +RVDOI.rectangle should be RVDOL II.

Austria Hungary Rudolf II Taler 1585 Balkan copy obv 227.jpg

Austria Hungary Rudolf II Taler 1585 Balkan copy rev 231.jpg

1584 Spanish Netherlands STATES OF BRABANT Ecu Robustus struck during the siege of Antwerp by Spanish forces under the Prince of Parma.

The city of Antwerp was the capital of the new States of Brabant government rebelling against Spain. It was forced to surrender to the Spanish forces after a siege lasting over a year from July 1584 until August 1585.

Brabant States Siege Ecu Robustus 1584 obv 097.jpg

Brabant States Siege Ecu Robustus 1584 rev 098.jpg

PaulTudor, Stork, jj00 and 8 others like this.
  19. panzerman

Sehr schon Talerman:happy:

Wonderfull historical write-ups, magnificent coins as always....

Siberian Man and DEA like this.
  20. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

As always, thank you Talerman! Fantastic. You keep me coming back for more and more.

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yup, they still make 'em today, but that was the very first one !

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted