[Game] World Coins Time Machine… Counting Backward by Year! (Plus Prize Coin)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jun 14, 2017.

1. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

You are absolutely correct, talerman - it is Veronica. I associate the name Veronica with Archie and Jughead; Victoria with England.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, y'all, but I'm getting nervous. We haven't had a new coin entry since Signore talerman's Saturday post. As I mentioned much earlier, things like this get my un-diagnosed OCD in quite a tizzy. I'm out until 1600. Someone, please, dazzle us with your 1608 dated coin. I would love to see it. Thanks in advance!
    David

ycon likes this.
  4. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

To calm DEA down, here is a 1608 coin

Germany Bishopric of HILDESHEIM Ernst of Bavaria Reichstaler

There is some interesting history behind this coin. Although the Bishops of Hildesheim had received the mint right in the 11th century, they stopped striking coins in 1428 while the Town of Hildesheim, which received the mint right in 1528 (and actually struck coins earlier) continued producing coins. When Ernst decided he wanted to restart an episcopal mint, he was opposed by the town, who, I guess, did not want the competition. He dealt with the situation by setting up a mint on a property he owned at Moritzberg outside the town.

Ernst was a very successful churchman. The youngest son of Duke Albrecht V of Bavaria, he was earmarked for an ecclesiastical career from an early age. He was elected bishop of Freising in 1566 at the age of 12 and of Hildesheim in 1573 at the age of 19. In 1581 he became Prince-Bishop of Liège (with its attached territories Bouillon, the county of Looz and the marquessate of Franchimont), and Prince-Abbot of Stablo and Malmedy, a double abbey consisting of two neighbouring Benedictine monasteries. When the Archbishop of Cologne converted to Protestantism, setting off the Cologne Wars, Ernst became the successful Catholic contender for the title and was elected Archbishop in 1583 after the deposition of his predecessor. The archbishopric also brought with it the titles and lands of the Duchy of Westphalia and the city of Arnsberg. Much more important, the archbishops of Cologne were one of the seven Electors of the Holy Roman Emperor. That apparently was not enough. In 1585 he was also elected Bishop of Münster.

The reverse of this Taler has a circle of 16 shields with the arms of all his territories. Clockwise from top: Cologne (cross), Hildesheim (divisions per pale), Freising (negro head), Malmedy Abbey (dragon), Westphalia (prancing horse), Bouillon (bar & Liège pillar,divided), Arnsberg (eagle), Hasbain (head ?), Horn (3 horns), Looz (horizontal bars) ,Franchimont (3 lions rampant), Angria (3 waterlilies), Pfalz (lion rampant), Stablo Abbey (crozier,lamb & oak tree), Münster (bar) and Liège (pillar). In the centre is a shield supported by 2 lions with the arms of Bavaria (lozanges).

Hildesheim Bish Ernst v Bayern Taler 1608 obv 491.jpg Hildesheim Bish Ernst v Bayern Taler 1608 rev 493.jpg

PaulTudor, panzerman, wcg and 8 others like this.
  5. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Whew! Thank you so darn awful much, talerman! Not just for calming me down but mostly for the great write up! Your explanation of the 16 shields saved me oodles of time having to look them up. Thank you, sir, thank you very much indeed!

6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Two more Dombes liards (did I tell you I collect Dombes coinage ? :D) dated 1608 and 1607, just for the pleasure of reaching 1600 a bit faster

D-023-115-c.jpg

D-023-114-c.jpg

Q

Pellinore, panzerman, jj00 and 7 others like this.
  7. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Thank you. The thought had crossed my mind to possibly purchase a coin just to keep the thread moving.

Cucumbor likes this.
  8. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

That, the purchasing of a coin just to keep the thread moving, would be most appreciated. Well, I cannot speak for everyone, but I would greatly appreciate it.

And I really like those Dombes liards. I'm going to have to figure out just what exactly they are. Thanks!

David

Cucumbor and ycon like this.
  9. talerman

If we are trying to speed things up

1606 Germany OSNABRUCK, Cathedral Chapter 9 Pfennig

Osnabruck Cath Chap 9 Pfennig 1606 obv 712.jpg Osnabruck Cath Chap 9 Pfennig 1606 rev 714.jpg

panzerman, jj00, DEA and 5 others like this.
  10. Cucumbor

DEA and Chris B like this.
  11. talerman

I am going on holiday so this is my last contribution for a while

1605 Germany Joint Issue of Counts of Schwarzburg Reichstaler with St. Martin and the beggar to whom he gave half his cloak on the reverse

Schwarzburg Jt Issue Taler 1605 obv 701.jpg Schwarzburg Jt Issue Taler 1605 rev 702.jpg

PaulTudor, Stork, DEA and 7 others like this.
  12. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I was really busy with my work, grass is growing like crazy:(

Here is one of my favorite coins....
    AV Dukat 1606 Clausenberg Mint
    Prince Stefan Boskai of Transylvania
    Neat dragon on reverse!
    My holidays will be when we get first snowstorm..... 8509643e54ef0b6532a3963962847482.jpg c1e16904c12c941c45199895d0bf38a2.jpg

PaulTudor, jj00, Stork and 8 others like this.
  13. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

1605 Hall taler - DAV-3005.
    1605-austria-hall-obv-rev.jpg

PaulTudor, Stork, talerman and 6 others like this.
  14. Cucumbor

Because it's now more difficult to go further, I see posts being more "flexible", aren't they ?

Here's a run of testons for Henri II de Montpensier (yes Dombes again), were you can clearly see the three different types : 1603, 1604/06 and 1606/08 (I still need to post the 2nd type of 1606 though). To keep it in lane with the thread I post them backwards :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Q

15. Chris B

One of my favorite pieces.

German States - Erfurt

Obverse: Helmeted city arms, wildman and wildwoman as supporters, wheel of Mainz above
    Obverse Legend: MON. REIPVBLIC CIVITATIS - ERFFORDI
    Reverse: Two angels suspended holding wreath in the center in which date, small shield below with "60", legend divided by four small shields of arms
    Reverse Inscription: AVF. IEDES. SCHIS. / EN. MEIN. R. DIS IAR / ZV. VORN. 100. 60. 40. / GEBEN. WAR. 29. AVG. & 5. SEPT.

Composition: Silver

Lot Description: Erfurt. City 60 Kreuzer (Taler) 1603-FG VF35 NGC, KM5, Dav-5256. Designed with a wild-man and wild-women supporting the city arms as well as several instances of the iconic wheel of Mainz (Erfurt having a long history as a branch bishopric of Mainz) that appears so often in the city's coinage. Fully original, each side displays moderate highpoint circulation with an attractive base of gray tone that yields delicate green and gold iridescence around portions of the design. While this issue seems to appear about twice a year at auction in Europe, it appears very rarely in this market.
    From the Jamestown Collection

GerErf160303.jpg GerErf160304.jpg

PaulTudor, jj00, Stork and 7 others like this.
  16. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

That 1603 Erfurt is wonderful! Nice Erfurt talers are not easy to find.

Quick tangent - I did not realize the wheel was a part of so many German coat of arms. I had always associated it primarily with Osnabruck. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_of_Mainz

Here is a 1602 Rudolf II Taler from Hungary. DAV-3002. I picked this once up from HD Rauch many years ago.
    1602-taler-rauch-obv-both.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    PaulTudor, jj00, Stork and 7 others like this.
  17. Jimski

Jimski Well-Known Member

Great photos. Marvelous detail.

Chris B likes this.
  18. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

If we are on to 1602 I am finally back in again! Not the greatest coin but here is a James I Sixpence: 1602 6D 1.JPG 1602 6D 2.JPG

19. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Elizabeth I pledge halfpenny - 1601. ex Earl of Pembroke (d.1733)
    127 - Copy.JPG

20. Chris B

Thank you. However, I can't take credit for the quality of the photo. It was borrowed from the Heritage listing.

21. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Beautiful coins! Thanks! And extra thanks to Chris B for the great background.

I have a 1600 Pfalz-Zweibrucken, three kreuzer (one groschen) for your viewing pleasure. Well, it's not much to look at but considering 400 years, it's not too bad. The count at that time was was John the Elder (Johann I der Ältere), as can be made out on the obverse ("IOHA"), and Rudolf II was the Holy Roman Emperor (reverse - "RUDOL II"). I've got it nailed down to KM# 2.

This little coin holds a special place in my mind. It was minted in Zweibrücken, where approximately 322 years later my grandfather was born and grew up. His family had lived there for at least one generation before he was born.

Pfalz-Zweibrucken-03-kreuzer-1600-km2.jpg

Stork, Siberian Man, talerman and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted