[Game] World Coins Time Machine… Counting Backward by Year! (Plus Prize Coin)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jun 14, 2017.

1. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Time to move on to 1616 ?

Austria-Hungary Matthias I Taler 1616 Kuttenberg mint

Austria Hungary Matthias Taler 1616 Kuttenberg obv  235.jpg Austria Hungary Matthias Taler 1616 Kuttenberg rev  236.jpg

Curtisimo, Jimski, Stork and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Undated, but attributed to 1615. I had to check the rules to see if this one would fly. It seems it can, since it is attributed to one particular year (rather than a date range) in all the references I've seen.
    German States (Teutonic Order): silver 1/4-thaler of Grand Master Maximilian of Austria, ca. 1615
    [​IMG]
    PCGS XF45; population 1 - the only example certified by PCGS as of 7/1/2018

Obverse: continuous legend: MAXIMIL: DG: ARC: AV: DVX:BVRG: MAG: PRVSS: ADMI:, caped duke standing, long sword in right hand, lion with shield left, plumed helmet right. (Translation of obverse legend: "Maximilian, by God's Grace Archduke of Austria, Duke of Burgundy, Grand Master of the Teutonic Order".)

Reverse: armored and helmeted duke with lance on draped horseback right, 16 shields surrounding, coat of arms of the Grand Master of the Teutonic Order below. KM38, silver, 30 mm, 7 g approx. PCGS XF45, cert. #81824095. Population 1/0 as of 7/1/2016. Ex-Halbedel Münzen und Medaillen, Salzburg, Austria, 5/25/2016 (purchased raw through their MA-shops.com store).

Curtisimo, jj00, talerman and 8 others like this.
  4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Beautifull coin, Lordmarcovan!
    Of all the "titles" I think "Grandmaster" beats them all.
    On the otherhand, I will be heading out to slave away, cutting lawns on a day when the humidex will be 48 celsius:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Curtisimo and lordmarcovan like this.
  5. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I think we can let Grand Master Lord Marcovan slide on this one....as it does not have a specific date minted thereon. What a magnificent coin! Definitely not shabby at all.

Curtisimo, lordmarcovan and panzerman like this.
  6. talerman

48 celsius ? Where are you ?

Curtisimo and panzerman like this.
  7. coin_nut

Curtisimo and Jimski like this.
  8. talerman

Beautiful, definitely qualifies.

Let me add a dated 1615 taler.

Holy Roman Empire ALSACE Archduke Maximilian Taler Ensisheim mint

Alsace Maximilian Taler 1615 obv 097.jpg Alsace Maximilian Taler 1615 rev 098.jpg

Curtisimo, jj00, Stork and 6 others like this.
  9. panzerman

I live in Orleans/ Ontario/ Canada. Today, it was 36 celsius +humidity= humidex of 47. I was born in Julich/ Germany, where the temperature is much cooler in Summer.
    John

Curtisimo likes this.
  10. talerman

Julich is a city with a lot of history. I don't think you posted any Julich siege coins. Well, they are pretty crude compared to gold ducats.

11. panzerman

Actually, I have only two from Julich-Cleve-Berg. One is a 1711 Vicariats Dukat/ and a 15th. Century Goldgulden. I will post both soon, not much time( I leave for work at 6:30AM, get home at 9:30PM!!!!! May/June/July= lots of 95+ hr weeks:(But it pays for adding nice coins to my collection:happy: I have 850+ AV coins so far and counting......
    I really like your coins, thanks for sharing them:happy:

12. talerman

Amazed you still have time for gardening ! I don't do AV but I have to admit they are the most beautiful - and the easiest to see in average light.
    Maybe one day we should start a Julic-Cleve-Berg thread.

13. panzerman

Great idea!
    Gardening/ lawncare is my one man business. Presently, I have 145 clients, so very busy. I find that i can get as much work done in a giving time as companies that hire 6-9 "helpers" But, I still find the time to place proxy bids in spring/Summer/Autumn auctions on sixbid. I have around 140 AV coins from German States/Cities. Off to work.....

Curtisimo likes this.
  14. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Hopefully, it is not to early to post the next year. I have been waiting (impatiently) for the next opportunity to post something.

GerSax161403.jpg GerSax161404.jpg
    German States 1614 WA SAXE-WEIMAR DAV-7527

Obverse: 4 half-figures facing, scrollwork below

Reverse: 4 half-figures facing, Legend and Date below

Ruler: Joint Rule
    Note: Dav. 7527.

Curtisimo, jj00, Stork and 6 others like this.
  15. coin_nut

Dang, looks like the rat pack of old...

16. talerman

1613 France BOUILLON & SEDAN Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne Ecu de 30 sols

Bouillon & Sedan Henri de la Tour Ecu 30 sols 1613 obv 390.jpg Bouillon & Sedan Henri de la Tour Ecu 30 sols 1613 rev 392.jpg

Curtisimo, lordmarcovan, jj00 and 8 others like this.
  17. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Okay, panzerman and talerman. What does 'AV' mean? I'm guessing gold but I do not know for certain. Sorry and thanks!

18. talerman

Probably should have written AU (V is the old Latin U).
    AUREUM (or AVREUM) = Gold
    ARGENTUM (or ARGENTVM) = Silver

I probably went to elementary school before you were born. We did many hours of Latin every week (much of which I have forgotten), which turned out only to be of use to me in numismatics. On the other hand, we did almost no science.

19. Jimski

Jimski Well-Known Member

From: https://sp88k.home.xs4all.nl/Coin/Traveler/General/CoinDescription.htm

"To describe roman coins people usually use terms like AE 16 or AU 20mm. These terms will tell you what kind of material the coin is made from and the size of the coin.

AE = bronze/copper/brass Aes in Latin means bronze
    AR = silver Argentum in Latin means silver
    AU or AV = gold Aurum in Latin means gold
    "

I guess the AV is used sometimes because on Latin inscriptions V is used for U.

PlanoSteve, Curtisimo and DEA like this.
  20. panzerman

Gorgeous coin! They sure had better taste in 1613/ also hired better engravers/ die cutters/ mintmasters;)

Curtisimo likes this.
  21. panzerman

Yippee! Finaly have a coin of my own to show:)
    AV Dukat 1613 Lubeck Mint
    Free Imperial City of Lubeck
    Struck under rule of Matthias II Holy Roman Emperor c84396d75d7aa9f16ba1348ff7425d5f.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted