[Game] World Coins Time Machine… Counting Backward by Year! (Plus Prize Coin)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jun 14, 2017.

1. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Good try, lordmarcovan.

OK, here's another Kipper coin, dated 1620:

Germany SOLMS - HOHENSOLMS Philipp Reinhard I Kipper 12 Kreuzer struck at Niederweisel, a mint only open in the Kipper period

Solms Hohensolms Phil Reinhard I Kipper 12 Kr 1620 obv 515.jpg Solms Hohensolms Phil Reinhard I Kipper 12 Kr 1620 rev 516.jpg

semibovinian, Stork, jj00 and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I always thought of the non-numismatic definition of the word "kipper".

I'm sure I would vastly prefer the coin version.

Just reading about the culinary version made me slightly queasy.

banner955x332_2.jpg

Curtisimo and panzerman like this.
  4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

My next avaliable date is 1617:(

Curtisimo likes this.
  5. talerman

1619 Italy FERRARA Pope Paul V Scudo

Ferrara Pope Paul V  Scudo 1619 obv 363.jpg Ferrara Pope Paul V  Scudo 1619 rev 366.jpg

1619 France CHATEAU-RENAUD Louise-Marguerite de Lorraine 12 Kreuzer/ 3 Batzen Imitation of coinage of Imperial cities

Chat-Renaud 12 Kreuzer 1619 obv 190.jpg

Chat-Renaud 12 Kreuzer 1619 rev 191.jpg

wcg, semibovinian, panzerman and 10 others like this.
  6. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Spain.
    VIII maravedis 1618.
    15.jpg 16.jpg

7. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Only 99 more years for me to wait...

Curtisimo, DEA and ycon like this.
  8. talerman

panzerman likes this.
  9. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

How embarrassing. I didn't even notice that. Way to pay attention, talerman.

A quick look around makes it seem that is normal - "Heavily counter-stamped with "8", "VIII" and dates when the coin was re-tarriffed under Philip IV (1621-1665)" from http://www.ancientresource.com/lots/shipwreck-pirate-coins/spanish-copper-pirate-coins.html. Numista mentions it at https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces89680.html. What can you tell us, Siberian Man?

10. talerman

1618 Spanish Netherlands BRABANT Albert & Isabelle 2 Patagons

Brabant Albert & Isabelle 2 Patagons 1618 obv 103.jpg Brabant Albert & Isabelle 2 Ducatons 1618 rev  281.jpg

and on the other end of the scale

1618 Germany ISENBURG Wolfgang Georg Groschen

Isenburg Wolfgang Georg Groschen 1618 obv 621.jpg
    Isenburg Wolfgang Georg Groschen 1618 rev 623.jpg

Curtisimo, jj00, semibovinian and 8 others like this.
  11. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

I can finally post something
    [​IMG]

Curtisimo, jj00, semibovinian and 7 others like this.
  12. Siberian Man

My dear friends. I got this coin from my local dealer in Western Siberia many years ago. Sorry, but I don't know much about this coin. I only know that it was released at 1618.

Curtisimo likes this.
  13. talerman

Are you kidding ? I noticed you obviously know a lot about Russian coins but are you really a Siberian Man with a local coin shop which sells such nice Spanish coppers ?

As DEA points out, these countermarks were very common on Philip III and IV coins as a bankrupt government tried to find quick fixes to their financial problems. For example, in March 1602, under Philip III, it was decided to double the value of the circulating copper and billon coins by counterstamping them VIII and IIII. After Philip IV succeeded his father, an attempt was made in 1628 to clean up the coinage and the value of these coins was reduced back to 4 and 2. However, this policy was reversed by a desperate government in 1636, and it was decided that the "value" of these coins should be tripled with additional countermarks of the crowned date and XII and VI respectively. Many more such decrees would follow. There is an excellent series of articles on this subject, "Spanish Copper Coins and their countermarks in the 17th century", by Paul de Groot published in the Numismatics International Bulletin in 1991 (and available on the Newman Numismatic Portal), the main source of my information.

Your coin was struck in 1618 at the Ingenio mint in Segovia (aqueduct mm), the only Spanish mint producing quality milled coins. What is unusual is that the c/m is the same value as the coin, 8. It is not changing the value of the coin, just apparently confirming it. I have never seen one like that.

Is there another c/m on the obverse or is that just the backside of the 8 c/m ?

Pellinore, Curtisimo, DEA and 2 others like this.
  14. Siberian Man

My hometown is rather big (population - about 506000). At the same time: the population of our region is not numerous (less than 1080000), but the area is very big - 314391 sq.km. (more than Arizona!). We are living in 5 towns and several dozens of villages. Tomsk is an administrative centre of our region (it is my hometown); it is the modern city with the high level of culture and service. The numismatics is quite popular with us. We have 5 shop of coins.

Pellinore, Curtisimo, Muzyck and 4 others like this.
  15. semibovinian

semibovinian Well-Known Member

1617 -- Einbeck, 1/24 thaler:

1617_DE_Einbeck_1`24thaler_1o_DPP_2015_12_07__0019_2.jpg 1617_DE_Einbeck_1`24thaler_1r_DPP_2015_12_07__0020_2.jpg

Curtisimo, dirty_brian, jj00 and 9 others like this.
  16. panzerman

Finally, I have a date:happy:

One of my favorite coins...
    AV 5 Dukaten 1617 Salzburg Mint
    Markus Sittikus Von Hohenem Archbishop of Salzburg
    Salzburg struck AV Dukaten in Klippe and Round form, also coins had really strange denominations like 16/28/36/44/48 Dukaten. 3f4bc6400c439ccd0a9b4eb46e8a0f34.jpg

Curtisimo, dirty_brian, jj00 and 8 others like this.
  17. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Man, that's nice. If y'all could've heard me when I saw that, you would've thought I was watching fireworks. "Oooooo! Ahhhhhh!" Thank you so much for sharing, panzerman!

Curtisimo and panzerman like this.
  18. panzerman

It would have been so much more fun to have been a "coin collector" in the period 1600-1790/ so many beautifull coins, esp. from European mints....
    However, everything else is much better in 2018:happy:!
    John

Curtisimo likes this.
  19. talerman

Also, about 90% of people never saw any of those beautiful ducats and talers and had to content themselves with inconveniently small, often debased minors - and with a constant shortage of the lowest denominations which cost more to produce than they were worth.

Curtisimo, Jimski and panzerman like this.
  20. Jimski

Jimski Well-Known Member

Just as today. Most of us never touch such coins,

Curtisimo, panzerman and talerman like this.
  21. panzerman

Today, we only look at these coins:happy: as they are either housed in TPG slabs/ saflip protective holders/ coin cabinets:happy:! Back in 1617, even the nobility had problems with safe storage, although they may have had coin cabinets.....

Curtisimo and Jimski like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted