[Game] World Coins Time Machine… Counting Backward by Year! (Plus Prize Coin)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jun 14, 2017.

1. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

DAC Love your enthusiasm and like your St.Kilian coin. Old man running to keep up:

1625 France 1/4 ecu Unauthorized issue struck by the city of La Rochelle (mintmark H)

During the French Wars of Religion the Atlantic port of La Rochelle, one of the Protestant strongholds, was de facto an independent city from 1568 to 1598 with no royal governor or garrison. The Edict of Nantes in 1598, which formally ended the Wars of Religion, still left La Rochelle with a privileged status as a Protestant "safe haven". Louis XIII and his formidable chief minister, Cardinal de Richelieu, were determined to bring the Protestant cities back under full royal control and started a series of military campaigns in 1621. It was during this period, between 1625 and 1628, that La Rochelle struck this unauthorized coinage in the king's name, with the standard royal type and weight but not always with the proper amount of silver. In September 1627 Louis laid siege to La Rochelle and the starving city surrendered in October 1628.

France Louis XIII Protestant quarter ecu 1625 H La Rochelle obv 136.jpg France Louis XIII Protestant quarter ecu 1625 H La Rochelle rev 137.jpg

1624 Germany City of HILDESHEIM Half Taler

Hildesheim City Emp Ferd II Half Taler 1624 obv 533.jpg
    Hildesheim City Emp Ferd II Half Taler 1624 rev 534.jpg

Pellinore, wcg, Curtisimo and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

That is a fantastic half thaler. Beautiful!

Curtisimo and panzerman like this.
  4. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Someone other than I is going to have to make a call on this one. I see 16(Z)3 on the obverse of this two kreuzer (albus) - KM 653.1. The problem is that the Krause-Mishler catalogs do not catalog a 1623 - they start at 16Z5 [1625]. Everything on this coin points to KM 653.1 - obverse with the imperial orb dividing the date with the legend of MEINTZ HAS NAS FRANC; reverse with shield showing the arms of each of the four - Mainz, Hesse-Darmstadt, Nassau-Saarbrücken and Frankfurt [am Main].

Opinions and advice please. Fake? Simply uncatalogued? Unique? Or is my eyesight so bad that I don't see that is it obviously not 16Z3?

In any case, KM tells us that Mainz joined a union with the aforementioned sovereignties to strike some minor coins during the Thirty Years' War but cheated, bringing an end to this monetary union in 1636.

Mainz-02-kreuzer-1623-km653.1-obv.jpg Mainz-02-kreuzer-1623-km653.1-rev.jpg

5. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I have been cutting lots of grass:( past four weeks. Not much time for coins....

I have 2 late entries/ one from 1630, the other 1626:happy:

Italian States/ Piacenza
    AV 2 Doppia 1626 Parma Mint
    Duke Odoardo Farnese

German States/ Sachsen/ Albertine Line
    AV Doppeldukat 1630 Dresden Mint
    Elector Johann Georg I
    Commerative coinage for centenary of Augsburg Confession 1530-1630 8ff93357fe33167bbf36fd93eae2c6c6.jpg 15cd1b5d6b52560057fb3f84bab2a396.jpg

Curtisimo, jj00, semibovinian and 7 others like this.
  6. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Here is the AV 5 Dukaten 1630 (Augsburg Confession)

Same data as my 2 Dukaten coin, 5 Dukaten are much rarer. 41fd7bc26124bfc143dd21967e009ac1.jpg

Curtisimo, jj00, semibovinian and 3 others like this.
  7. talerman

According to Isenbeck (Das Nassauische Münzwesen), the 1623 Albus was struck by Hans Schmidt in Frankfurt (funny mintmark at end of obverse legend )which might explain why it is not listed under Mainz in Krause (although they do not seem to list it under Frankfurt either). The reference is Isenbeck 1.
    I tried to upload the relevant page from Isenbeck for you but for some reason it would not upload. I will try again tomorrow.

8. talerman

Gorgeous as always. I love the Parma wolf.

Curtisimo and panzerman like this.
  9. talerman

Uploading worked this time. Here is the page:

Isenbeck Jt Coinage of Mainz, Nassau etc 548.jpg

Curtisimo, jj00, DEA and 1 other person like this.
  10. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Geil! Vielen danken, Herr Talerman! That is fantastic information. I am going to have to obtain that Isenbeck's Das Nassauische Münzwesen, if at all possible.

Curtisimo likes this.
  11. talerman

1623 LÖWENSTEIN-WERTHEIM-ROCHEFORT Johann Dietrich Reichstaler

Lowenstein-Wert-Roche Taler 1623 obv 432.jpg Lowenstein-Wert-Roche Taler 1623 rev 435.jpg

Curtisimo, coin_nut, Stork and 7 others like this.
  12. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Poland.
    1/24 thaler (16)24.
    31.jpg 32.jpg

Curtisimo, coin_nut, Stork and 4 others like this.
  13. Siberian Man

Prussia.
    1/24 thaler (16)24.

57.jpg 58.jpg

Curtisimo, coin_nut, Stork and 4 others like this.
  14. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

For 1622, we have a Mansfeld-Eigentlich-Hinterort silver three pfennig. KM# 123. Pretty confusing history for countdom (is that a word?).

Mansfeld-Eigentlich-Hinterort-03-pfennig-1622AK-km123-_0001.jpg Mansfeld-Eigentlich-Hinterort-03-pfennig-1622AK-km123-_0002.jpg

Curtisimo, Stork, talerman and 3 others like this.
  15. Siberian Man

Danzig.
    Ort (16)23.
    53.jpg 54.jpg

Curtisimo, Stork, Jimski and 6 others like this.
  16. Siberian Man

Poland.
    III groshen 1622.
    15.jpg 16.jpg

Curtisimo, coin_nut, Stork and 6 others like this.
  17. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Apparently it’s called a county. I suppose it’s similar to duke -> duchy.

Curtisimo likes this.
  18. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Excellent! That makes total sense, Milesofwho. After reading your post, I realized I've read that before but my dimwitted brain always associated "county" with what we call counties in the United States. Thanks for clearing out the cobwebs and making some new neural connections.

Curtisimo likes this.
  19. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

I associate counties in the exact same way. I’m happy to say I’ve connected a few more neurons as well.

Curtisimo likes this.
  20. Siberian Man

Bishopric Cammin.
    Doppelshilling (16)21.
    43.jpg 44.jpg

Curtisimo, coin_nut, Stork and 5 others like this.
  21. semibovinian

semibovinian Well-Known Member

1621 -- Poland-Lithuania, 3 groschen:

1621_PL_Polish_Lithuanian_Commonwealth_3grosz_1o_DPP_2015_11_20__0047_2.jpg 1621_PL_Polish_Lithuanian_Commonwealth_3grosz_1r_DPP_2015_11_20__0048_2.jpg

talerman, Curtisimo, coin_nut and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted