[Game] World Coins Time Machine… Counting Backward by Year! (Plus Prize Coin)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jun 14, 2017.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Here is a 1724.....
    AV 20,000 Reis 1724-M Minas Gerais Mint
    Joao V King of Portugal/ Brazil/Colonial Empire
    When they started mining gold around Minas Gerais/ a mint was founded there to producing vast numbers of gold coins/ a lot of common sense:) 319aa1672725ebffa932dc342a8c3ba9.jpg

Curtisimo, jj00, Stork and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

My 1724 is another Shilling:
    1724 S 1.JPG 1724 S 2.JPG

Curtisimo, jj00, panzerman and 3 others like this.
  4. kforbes862

kforbes862 Well-Known Member

Here is 1723. It's pretty worn. It is a 1723 Dutch Republic 2 Stuivers. This is the area of the world most of my family came from, so it is interesting to me for that. hollandia1.jpg hollandia2.jpg

Curtisimo, jj00, Stork and 3 others like this.
  5. Jimski

Jimski Well-Known Member

Marvelous medal, and MARVELOUS photo. Is that a NGC photo?

Curtisimo and semibovinian like this.
  6. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Heritage auction photo.
    No, not NGC. My own images came back "too big" so I lifted the Heritage auction photos before the thread passed me by. :jawdrop:

Curtisimo, Jimski and semibovinian like this.
  7. PaddyB

As we seem to have started 1723 already, here is my offering - I have the four different sizes of Silver with the SSC mark for "South Seas Company", known to history for the South Seas Bubble when the share price collapsed bankrupting many investors.
    The Four together:
    1723 SSC group 2.JPG 1723 SSC group 1.JPG
    Then the Crown:
    1723 Cr 2.JPG 1723 Cr 1.JPG
    Remainder in next post...

Curtisimo, jj00, Hiddendragon and 4 others like this.
  8. PaddyB

Then the 1723 Half Crown, Shilling and Sixpence in that order:
    1723 HC 2.JPG 1723 HC 1.JPG 1723 S 2.JPG 1723 S 1.JPG 1723 6D 2.JPG 1723 6D 1.JPG

Curtisimo, Siberian Man, jj00 and 6 others like this.
  9. Jimski

Jimski Well-Known Member

(even more SSC coin) 1723 British shilling, SSC (South Seas Company)
    1723 British shilling obv.jpg 1723 British shilling rev.jpg

From https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=1723sscshilling.html The letters 'SSC' on the reverse of this coin denote the fact that the silver was supplied by the South Sea Company, which was at the centre of a major financial catastrophe known as the 'South Sea Bubble' in 1720. The South Sea Company had been granted a charter to trade with the Spanish colonies in South America, and the company vastly over-inflated its share price by giving the impression to shareholders, the government, and the public that its potential for growth was larger than it actually was. In fact, its opportunities were limited by the restrictions put upon it by the King of Spain, who only permitted one ship per year carrying a cargo of no more than 500 tons to land in a Spanish-controlled port ...By 1720, share prices had reached an astonishing £1,000 per share (unadjusted for modern-day inflation!), but doubts about the profitability of the company crept in, and shareholders started to doubt the viability of the company, with the result that share prices collapsed as shareholders tried to get rid of their shares … However, the company itself survived until the 1850s …

These coins are relics of an event which, given current events, have a certain resonance.

Some sites (Wikipedia, Numista) say the silver for the SSC coinage came from SSC mines in Indonesia. Other sites (Coin World, British Museum) say it came from South America. None of these sites gave references. So ... ???! There was another reference that I found on CoinTalk #8. It's why I added this paragraph.

@lordmarcovan also has a dandy MS63+ SSC shilling, and nice write-up that I ran across in my searches. I hope he post it.

I thought it would be interesting to compare the rise in SSC stock to that recently in Bitcoin.

upload_2018-1-16_15-18-44.png
    South Seas Co. Chart of company stock prices.
    From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Sea_Company

Bitcoin chart from: https://www.worldcoinindex.com/coin/bitcoin

10. Jimski

Jimski Well-Known Member

Let me see if I understand this correctly. Your images were too big?!!! Can you take pictures with that kind of resolution?! What camera are you using?!

Curtisimo likes this.
  11. PaddyB

Interestingly the SSC coins were not the only "sponsored" coin produced in 1723. You can also come across shillings marked "WCC" for the Welsh Copper Company. These are much scarcer than other Shillings from around that time and typically fetch more than five time as much as an ordinary shilling and fifteen times as much as an SSC shilling. I saw one once, but I do not own one sadly.

12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Thanks for prodding me. So we've gotten back to 1723, have we? Guess I've been away too long.

Interesting (if sobering) SSC-versus-Bitcoin comparison.

Here is my SSC shilling. It used to be in an NGC MS64 holder.

I don't have it anymore- swapped it last summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Curtisimo, Biurs92, panzerman and 6 others like this.
  13. semibovinian

semibovinian Well-Known Member

Apparently, these 1723 coins are very common. Shilling:
    1723_GB_1shilling_1o_DPP_2015_08_13__0003_2.jpg 1723_GB_1shilling_1r_DPP_2015_08_13__0004_2.jpg

Curtisimo, panzerman, jj00 and 4 others like this.
  14. Jimski

Jimski Well-Known Member

Deleted.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  15. Jimski

Jimski Well-Known Member

1723 Ireland, Wood’s Hibernia half penny. Also circulated in Colonial North America
    1723 Hibernia obv.jpg 1723 Hibernia rev.jpg

While preparing for this post, I came across a significant numismatic paper on Wood’s Hibernia coinage which in the authors words, “presents a revised view of what is commonly referenced on the subject.” I posted an excerpt from it in a new thread to make it available to wider range of members.

Link to the post: Did you know that Woods Hibernia coinage was used extensively in Ireland?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  16. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

17. yarm

yarm Junior Member

I have an old Olympus C-750 with a 55mm macro lens. By the time I merge an obverse and reverse image, it can be up to 6600x3300 pixels. I've now reduced this image to 1/4 size so CoinTalk will accept it.

Attached Files:

Curtisimo, panzerman and Jimski like this.
  18. PaddyB

Back to a farthing for 1722:
    1722 F 1.JPG 1722 F 2.JPG

19. semibovinian

semibovinian Well-Known Member

1722 -- Pfalz Electoral Pfalz, 20 kreuzer:

1722_DE_Pfalz_Electoral_Pfalz_20kreuzer_1a_DPP_2018_01_11__0074_1.jpg 1722_DE_Pfalz_Electoral_Pfalz_20kreuzer_1b_DPP_2018_01_11__0078_1.jpg

20. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I will post my 1723 example from Koln. 27310c107e1bb0bf4b548d0e88aa1fd0.jpg

Curtisimo, jj00, Siberian Man and 5 others like this.
  21. Jimski

Jimski Well-Known Member

1722 British halfpenny
    1722 British halfpenny obv.jpg 1722 British halfpenny rev.jpg

Curtisimo, coin_nut, jj00 and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted