Galloping in my collection is ...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Limes, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

... the last emperor needed to finish my 12C-collection! Hope you like my denarius of Galba:

11.1 tekst.png

I believe everyone knows the story of Galba, his rise to power and his assassination . But some interesting "facts" i found while reading Suetonius. Did you know...:
    - he was a favorite of Livia, and after her death she almost made him a very wealthy man, by bestowing upon him 50 mln sesterti. Tiberius however discovered the amount was written in numbers only, and because not written fully, Tiberius reduced the amount to half a milion which were never paid.
    - when in Gaul, he made a good impression on Gaius Caligula because of his strictness towards his soldiers and successes gained. He even ran 20 miles a long the carriage of the emperor.
    - he made himself unpopular with his soldiers because of this strictness though, and especially with the soldiers whom he promised large sums of money but didnt pay. Thinking the soldiers disliked him because of his lack of children, he unexpectedly adopted Piso Frugi Licinianus. This was to the dislike of Otho, who used the situation to his advantage.
    - he was of avarage hight, bold and had a curved nose. His hands and feet were misshapen because of gout.

So this completes my 12 Caesars set, in that sense, i now have a coin of every emperor in that list. The set is by far not complete in the way i would like it to be. The most difficult (and expensive) coins are yet to be added: denari of Gaius and Claudius, and a portrait coin of Caesar. Here is a digital tray i made of the set:

12 Caesars_with tekst.png

Thanks for reading! Post anything you like: Galba, interesting 'facts', 12C's, etc.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..ole Galba's in 2 sets of C's...year of the 4 AND 12..kool coin Limes(took me years to get the year of the 4).. Caligula, his uncle and JC are missing in my silver denar set too.. and JC is TOTALLY missing in my collection...so far...:shifty: Galba silver denarius 001.JPG Galba silver denarius 002.JPG

Curtisimo, Jwt708, Limes and 13 others like this.
  4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great Galba addition Limes, and some nice looking coins in your display set, congrats.

jamesicus and Limes like this.
  5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I love your denarius of Galba. For me the reverse is the star of the show. You have chosen some very interesting reverses for the 12. I especially like your choice of the Tiberius quadriga coin. I also like the PONT MAX Otho very much.

Congrats on completing the set and welcome to the club.

Here are a few Galba denarii from my own collection.

RIC 9

Galba RIC 9.jpg

RIC 31
    Galba RIC 31 CNG.png

RIC 48a

Galba Ric 48a #5.jpg

RIC 62
    Galba ric 62.jpg

RIC 105
    Galba ric 105 denarius.jpg

RIC 193
    Galba_RIC_193__3-removebg.png

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Dynamite job, @Limes ! Super Galba! I really like that Galloping reverse... very cool.

CONGRATS completing the Seutonius 12!!! I enjoy the eclectic approach with differing denoms.

Here is my Seutonius 12 + One that I feel he missed...
    The 12 Caesars and the Greatest Caesar-Type-Guy who ended the Julio-Claudians...

As one of my Canadian friends used to say:
    My set is more of a "Dog's Breakfast"

Tets, Denarii, Quinarii, Dupondius, As, etc.

Seutonius 12 - 12 Caesars PLUS Vindex.jpg

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That's a great addition.

I just updated my tray to replace a Claudius bronze for one of my Tetradrachms of Claudius.

[​IMG]

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I usually do not get duplicate coins of Roman Emperors, as I really do not focus on the Empire. However, @Brian Bucklan had a great Galba QUINARIUS that I snapped up (yeah, I like Quinarii). It is shown in my Seut 12+1 pic above.

Here is the Galba that does not get to go outside to play too much: He looks a bit ANGRY with me.

RI Galba AE Sestertius SPQR - O.B - CIV.SER in Wreath.jpg
    RI Galba AE Sestertius SPQR - O.B - CIV.SER in Wreath

Being a Sestertius, it even shakes up my set even more.

Curtisimo, jamesicus, Limes and 8 others like this.
  9. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Mooie collectie Limes , met Titus olifant als mijn favoriet

Galba's in mijn 18 Ceasar sets in brons en zilver.

P1140140Galba.JPG P1230339best.jpg

Curtisimo, jamesicus, Jwt708 and 9 others like this.
  10. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice completion @Limes and a good coin of Galba there.

11. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Great coins and collections everyone. And thanks for the replies and liking!

12. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I've always been a fan of the horseback types. There is something regal and dramatic about them. Here is my Domitian As:

Domitian Horseback.jpg

Curtisimo, zumbly, jamesicus and 8 others like this.
  13. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Me too ……………

[​IMG]
    RIC Vol. II, TRAJAN, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 534, 98-117AD, (35mm, 22.6gm)
    Obverse depiction: Trajan, head facing right, wearing aegis
    Reverse depiction: Trajan galloping on horseback spearing a fallen Dacian soldier

Curtisimo, Bing, Limes and 4 others like this.
  14. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Nice coin! Riding a mighty steed - the ancient equivalent of a panzer tank - has something overwhelming, a true display of power of the emperor.

Anyway, i have the coin of jamesicus, in the dupondius version:

22.1 no tekst.jpg

And then there is Caracalla, taking on a hobbit... How mighty...

46.1 pun.jpg

Curtisimo, Johndakerftw, Bing and 3 others like this.
  15. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

My other horseback coins:

2888.jpg 144038.jpg Verus Horseback ALEXANDRIA.jpg Verus As.jpg

16. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

My little pony:

[​IMG]
    Trebonianus Gallus, AD 251-253.
    Roman AR antoninianus, 3.82 g, 19.7 mm, 11 h.
    Antioch, second series, AD 251-252.
    Obv: IMP C C VIB TREB GALLVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: ADVENTVS AVG, Emperor on horseback, left, raising right hand and holding scepter.
    Refs: RIC 79; Cohen 2; RCV 9622; Hunter 56; ERIC II 44.

Draft saved Draft deleted