Gallienus / Lion

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TJC, Aug 25, 2016.

1. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Gallienus Silvered Antoninianus
    Antioch Mint 265 AD
    Obverse: GALLIENVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust left.
    Reverse: P M TR P XIII, lion standing left, bucranium (cow skull) between front legs
    C VI P P and palm branch in exergue
    References: RIC 602, Göbl 1622d; RSC 843 Scarce.
    Size: 21mm; 3.39 grams

Here is a sole reign Gallienus type from Antioch I have wanted for a while and finally found oneJ. I was hoping to get one with a little better reverse and I wish the green on the cheek was not there. Overall there is very little wear and even though the silvering iscfaded I find it to be attractive. The left facing bust is also cool and it has legend with the year it was struck (TRP XIII; year13; 265AD:) Not sure what the C VI PP indicates and have read that there is no clear understanding what it means.

GallienusLeftLionO.jpg GallienusLeftLionRx1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Looks like a calico cat to me, but if you say it's a lion, OK!

Nice coin man. Really sharp portrait too. And the cat/lion (?) is nice too.

calico-cat.jpg

chrsmat71, icerain, Mikey Zee and 4 others like this.
  4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I think that's a very nice coin and would welcome in my collection. My understanding of this era is the mint quality was pretty poor. A real winner! One day I want to put together his zoo set.

TJC likes this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice coin, don't have any left facers.

[​IMG]
    Gallienus (253 - 268 A.D.)
    AR Antoninianus
    O: IMP C P LIC GALLIENVS AVG, Radiate and cuirassed bust right.
    R: IOVI CONSERVA, Jupiter standing left, head turned right, holding scepter in right and thunderbolt in left.
    5.1g
    24mm
    RIC 143F (Rome) Sear 10237

[​IMG]
    AR Antoninianus
    O: GALLIENVS P F AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right.
    R: DEO MARTI, Mars in temple.
    Colonia Agrippinensis (Cologne) mint, 258-259 A.D.
    21mm
    3.45g
    RIC 10

Reverse Die Clash

[​IMG]
    AR Antoninianus
    O: IMP C P LIC GALLIENVS AVG : Radiate, draped, cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
    R: PIETATI AVGG : Pietas standing facing, head left, left arm leaning on column, vertical long scepter in right.
    Antioch, 253-255 A.D.
    3.95g
    22mm
    RIC V, Part I, 295; Göbl 1563d

Published on Wildwinds

6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Here's lunch for your lion:

[​IMG]
    Gallienus, AD 253-268
    Billon Antoninianus, 2.84g, 12h; Rome mint,
    Obv.: GALLIENVS AVG; Radiate, cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: DIANAE CONS AVG; Antelope walking left // XII

Here are my other coins from Gallienus:

[​IMG]
    Gallienus, AD 260-268
    AE Antoninianus, 1.9g, 18x22mm, 6h; Milan mint, 265-266.
    Obv.: IMP GALLIENVS AVG; Radiate, draped bust right.
    Rev.: SALVS AVG; Asclepius, naked to waist, standing front, head turned left, right hand on hip, left hand resting on serpent-entwined staff // MP

[​IMG]
    Gallienus, AD 253-268
    Billion, antoninianus, 21mm, 2.9g; 6h; Rome
    Obv.: GALLIENVS AVG; radiate, cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: PAX AVG; Pax standing left, holding branch in right hand, transverse scepter in left. T in field

7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Cool Ant!! And I really like that 'cat' reverse!

No 'animal' reverses remain for me or left-facing busts...

But, I'm surprised that there seems to zero information (or conjecture) about the C VI P P....but I suppose some things will always remain a mystery.

Anyway, here's an Ant and one with the mythical pegasus:

gallienus silvered ant obverse.jpg

Gallienus pegaso.JPG

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    stevex6, Smojo, chrsmat71 and 8 others like this.
  8. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Lol, its actually a calico lion;)
    Burp, yum;)

Theodosius, Mikey Zee and Jwt708 like this.
  9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

It's difficult to get the color to show as "in-hand". I've only got a couple cheapies of Gallienus zoo series coins. Here is my Pegasus.
    IMG_2066.jpg
    IMG_2065.jpg

TJC- Is the OP coin the color shown in your photo?

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I assume you have read somewhere that some recent student is denying the traditional reading of Consul VI and Pater Patriae. Do you have a link to that discussion?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I have some lint, but their discussion seems quiet when I am around.

[​IMG]

;)

panthergirl13 likes this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The obvious question is why is the lion so small? I'd also like to know the meaning of the branch underneath.
    rx1690b01803lg.JPG
    rx1680b02276lg.jpg

stevex6, Pishpash, chrsmat71 and 11 others like this.
  13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I like collecting Gallienus because of the hunt! Due to the poor quality control at the time, many of his issues are poorly struck and the flans are very ragged. So it takes some sleuthing. I look for strong reverse strikes and good style, as on this SECVRIT PERPET. Gallienus appears to have sported a neck beard at times.

gal sec k.jpg

stevex6, Pishpash, chrsmat71 and 9 others like this.
  14. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Yes, but in hand the silvering is a bit more pronounced.

I have seen a discussion somewhere about this legend that I cannot find right now. I would love to have better references, but not sure where to look. A Numismatist article claims no one knows the meaning of the legend. I too thought consular year could be possible, but I have the consular year VI for Gallienus as 264 whereas the Tribunition year is marked as 265. Maybe Gallienus extended his consulship or the Tribunition year and the Consular year overlap?

I agree, I have been on a Gallienus hunt for a while and will be posting a more coins and asking a few questions. I would love to understand these 3rd century ancients much better than I do.

15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

At one time I was collecting the Gallenius zoo series, but because of the poor quality of the coins, I have pretty much given up on them. Some of the coins here are pretty good considering.
    Gallienus 9.jpg Gallienus 11.jpg Gallienus 19.jpg Gallienus 14.jpg Gallienus 17.jpg Gallienus 18.jpg Gallienus 16.jpg Gallienus 13.jpg Gallienus 10.jpg Gallienus 8.jpg

stevex6, Pishpash, Jwt708 and 9 others like this.
  16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

No zoo animals for me, no Lion, no cats, no cool trophies... just regular ole reverses.

upload_2016-8-25_19-36-22.png

stevex6, Mikey Zee, Pishpash and 7 others like this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is the sorrow of Gallienus. He has many types. Many are regularly well struck on round flans and available easily in acceptable condition. Other types were made in a place and time when almost no coins are even half decent looking. The Zoo Series fell in one of the bad places. If we all, as a group, showed our best Zoo coin, we probably would not have a nice set nearly complete. On the other hand, the lion (not part of the Zoo series) comes when that mint was doing good work. Finding one with poor legends will be harder than finding a nice one. It is the hobby as we know it.

Bing's group is, as he said, pretty good considering. I only have two, neither perfect by any means, I consider nice enough to show here. A complete set better than my two will take a little looking.
    rx1655bb2961.jpg rx1660bb1830.jpg

icerain, stevex6, Mikey Zee and 9 others like this.
  18. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

Kind of a zoo type for Gallienus:

Gallienus AETERNITAS.jpg
    Rx: AETERNITAS AVG; Wolf and Twins

icerain, stevex6, Mikey Zee and 8 others like this.
  19. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

my most recent...

[​IMG]

Gallienus (253 - 268 A.D.) AR Antoninianus

O: GALLIENVS PF AVG, Radiate and cuirassed bust of Gallienus facing right. R: GERMANICVS MAX V, Two captives seated at foot of trophy. Lyons Mint 258-259 A.D. 22mm 3.64g RIC V-I, 17.
    ex. Mat collection

my best zoo coin...

[​IMG]

icerain, stevex6, Mikey Zee and 7 others like this.
  20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Just an opinion: The Zoo series should be limited to the Rome mint coins with an animal and legend referring to a god associated with that animal. The lion and wolf twins shown were from an series of Antioch with the branch in exergue. They are usually nice. I see CNG has sold many nice Zoo coins so perhaps there are more good ones than I realized.

21. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

I am loving all your cool Gallienus coins!

At Mat: love the obverse die breaks, die breaks and such are cool in my book.
    At Jwt708: nice Gallienus portrait on the pax coin
    At Mikey Zee and Collect 89: Pegasus's are always cool
    At John Anthony: Cool coin and nice detail. Is that a lamination or die crack or other under Gallienus's ear?
    At Bing: Great zoo series. I only have a pegasus and a centaur. My Gallienus focus has been the silver and silvered coins and the zoo series are almost always without silvering.
    At Brian: Fantastic Wolf/Romulus/Remus coin. I just passed on one because of price but man I do think bout that coin.
    At Doug: That griffin reverse is awesome.
    At Chrsmat71: Nice doe looking left. Both obverse and reverse are very attractive.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted