Galla Placidia

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Nov 15, 2015.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Yup, you read right. Its another milestone for my collection and an excellent coin to help wind down the year with. Had to sacrifice a few good coins for it but this extremely rare 5th century AD Roman ruler was worth it for me (for the many new members here I am an enthusiastic collector of the Roman 5th-6th centuries AD). Its not exactly in great shape but Placidia coins rarely ever come around for sale and I definitely won't be able to afford a silver or gold of her anytime soon, so I had to jump on this one as soon as I could. Its hard to see but it is the cross surrounded by SALVS REIPVBLICE reverse. If you'll also look closely you can see GALLA on the left hand area of the obverse.

Galla Placidia, Western Roman Empire
    AE nummus
    Obv: D N GALLA PLA-CIDIA P F AVG, female, pearl-diademed bust right, wearing necklace and earrings
    Rev: SALVS REI-PVBLICE around cross, T in left field
    Mint: Rome (Mintmark: RM in ex)
    Ref: RIC X 2111
    (attribution info from Wildwinds)

[​IMG]

Aelia Galla Placidia was born in 388 in Thessalonica to Emperor Theodosius and his wife Galla, and was the half-sister to the emperors Honorius and Arcadius. After the death of Theodosius in 395, Placidia was sent to reside in the western half of the empire, more specifically in the household of Stilicho, the half-Vandal Master of Soldiers of Honorius, and Stilicho's wife Serena, who happened to be a first cousin to Placidia and her half-brothers. Unfortunately Stilicho fell out of favor with Honorius and was executed in 408, an action that would have dire consequences for the Western Roman Empire.

Placidia was present in Rome during its siege and sacking in 410 by the Visigoths under King Alaric, and was taken captive as part of their immense loot. She was then married off to Alaric's brother Ataulf, who became king after Alaric's death. A few years later while the Visigoths were in Spain, Placidia bore Ataulf a son, named Theodosius after his grandfather, but the child died after only a few weeks. Ataulf died in 416, and his successor Sigeric treated the widow badly. Fortunately this state of affairs lasted only a week with Sigeric's asassination. The new Visigothic king, Wallia, then gave Placidia back to Emperor Honorius per a peace treaty with the Romans. Later, she ended up marrying again, to the general Constantius, and had a son and daughter with him: the future emperor Valentinian III and Justa Grata Honoria. Constantius became co-emperor (Constantius III) with Honorius in 421, but died after only several months.

Placidia later feuded with Honorius, and with her children found refuge in the court of Theodosius II, emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire and the son of Arcadius. Meanwhile, in 423, Honorius died and so Theodosius proclaimed Valentinian as Western emperor and bestowed upon Placidia the title of Augusta, in order that she rule in young Valentinian's name until he was of age. But the western throne was quickly taken by the usurper Johannes. Two years later Theodosius sent his forces to Ravenna to depose Johannes, which was swiftly achieved.

During her regency, Placidia wielded considerable power and influence. She often quarreled with the Roman general Flavius Aetius, a very effective and influential military leader. Aetius convinced the governor of Africa Bonifacius that Placidia wanted him arrested for treason. This led to Bonifacius to declare independence from the Roman Empire, and he convinced the Vandals in Spain to cross over to North Africa to aid in fighting off a possible invasion from Italy. Soon, however, Bonifacius came to terms with Placidia and tried to have the Vandals leave, but the barbarians revolted and they ended up taking North Africa from the Romans.

In 437, Valentinian III began to rule in his own right, and so Placidia's regency ended. She still held onto some political power until her death in 450. Placidia had proved to be a very capable and popular ruler during her time in power, and was known to have used much of her wealth to build churches and to help the poor.

[​IMG]

Mausoleum of Galla Placidia, in Ravenna:

[​IMG]

Sources:

http://jaysromanhistory.com/romeweb/ladycont/art28.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galla_Placidia

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    ycon, Ancientnoob, Jwt708 and 20 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

The Placidia on the coin reminds me of one of my ex-girlfriends. :eek::dead:

4. ValiantKnight

Whoops :rolleyes:

Ancientnoob and Sallent like this.
  5. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Nice one Jeff, i love your passion, great coin and read!!ready to sell some of these gold coins yet!!;)

ValiantKnight likes this.
  6. ValiantKnight

Let's wait until the zombie apocalypse and then I might consider it :D

Eng likes this.
  7. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

I don't think i'll live through that, i can't run fast enough!:eek:

Mikey Zee and ValiantKnight like this.
  8. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Congrats, VK. You are right, those are rare and very rarely available for sale.

Ancientnoob and Rmo63 like this.
  9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Very rare empress. Congrats on adding one to your collection.

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Jango scores another rare winner!! ... congrats

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

A tough empress I need, lucky. Congrats!

12. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

The stain glass window picture reminds me of my Mother!
    Very nice, VK!
    I am currently buying a coin of the later Theodosian dynasty that I think you will appreciate!

13. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Terrific write-up and very interesting and scarce coin!!

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

VK, your writeups are always so well done. They are packed with information yet still highly readable. Thanks!!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  16. ValiantKnight

17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

*edit*

Hmmm, I'm bored (think I should hunt for a coin, or two?)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  18. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

She's ranked at #155 in the ERIC rarity list. So, nice find!
    I'm not that enthused by 4th-5th century rulers in bronze, but I collect them for completeness.

Mikey Zee and stevex6 like this.
  19. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

wow vk, that's a great score for your collection...i just look up where she was ranked on the list but greg beat me to it....dang, that's up there.

...and nice write up as usual!

here's the coin I most relevant to her, has both of her brothers and her nephew (Honorius, Arcadius, Theodosius II).

[​IMG]

Honorius, AE4, 406-408 AD
    O: N HONORI-VS PF AVG R:GLORI-A ROMA-NORVM; Honorius, Arcadius, and Thoedosus II ANT (A or Delta) in ex. Antioch mint 15 mm, 1.7g RIC X 153

Mikey Zee, stevex6, Pishpash and 3 others like this.
  20. ValiantKnight

Cool coin Chris. An actual coin of Placidia aside, can't really get more relevant with that type :D

21. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Fantastic write-up and neat coin!

Draft saved Draft deleted