Galba

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Josh1990, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Josh1990

Josh1990 New Member

Hello thanks for looking, any info on this coin please I don’t find many roman coins. Believe it’s a Galba but that’s as much as I know. Any value? 234DBE8A-86F4-4B3E-AA95-00593006A7B8.jpeg 1878A769-449F-453D-9F58-8B9EEFCDDB79.jpeg

alde, Eduard and ominus1 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

It would be helpful if you could provide more information about this coin, specifically:

1. Approx. size (in mm or inches)
    2. Weight in grams
    3. Source of coin (i.e., how did this coin come into your possession?)
    4. Clearer picture of the obverse (the portrait of Galba)

This coin appears to be a silver denarius of Galba, but it may be a forgery and the above information would help to determine its authenticity.

4. Josh1990

Josh1990 New Member

Thanks for the reply, il get some more stats in the morning late here now in the u.k. Found it detecting in a ploughed field in Yorkshire that’s also produced hammered coins and other finds. I’m certain it’s silver spit and foil gave off the sulphur smell.

5. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

6. IdesOfMarch01

There are a lot of factors working against this coin being genuine.

1. Silver coins from the first century AD simply do not come out of the ground in this condition after 1900+ years. Silver will tarnish and react with various substances in the ground -- unlike gold, silver is not chemically inert.

2. It's unlikely this coin would have been found without other coins -- i.e., in some sort of large or small hoard.

3. The coin's wear is suspect. While the high points on the devices show signs of circulation wear, the reverse legends are extremely sharp, with the letters showing edges that have almost no wear (i.e., rounding). This is very unusual.

4. This is a widely forged coin; Forgery Network has pages of these that look similar to the OP coin:

http://www.forgerynetwork.com/viewassets.aspx?mode=IrY~x~6CGiY1Q=&cl=0tQgHX6TtIs=&cln=&br=0tQgHX6TtIs=&pr=umVJ1UWWZWs=&prd=&key=Lfn5uQgfLtqUSNUe9~x~j8fg==&ext=CbSSjWkLN03YeTuQXF4H4QH/Qglw7e7HP/aL3GaaCQipaQhi4iWDIWHE9YfedsH3Bhz3qs6cHUVcmiT780Lk9EOLumVXPWZq26k5XqOmFT3cdZc~x~wQZYyVJBTc3GH2CMSsAf2vYy3sF2SpMb5EMxrg==&srco=1&num=20&srchall=0

5. If genuine, in this condition it would be worth as much as $5,000+.

The probability that this coin is genuine is vanishingly close to zero.

EDIT: This coin purports to be RIC 186.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

O man..nice find!.. in the top 12..Caesars of silver.."if" it checks out to be legit, mega money find. if not an exciting find anyway:)

8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

9. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

If real it's not worth anywhere near $5000. There are several for sale on Vcoins now. If and that's a big if it's real I'd say about $200-500 but I have my doubts.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  10. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

One can be really surprised how bright (and in which condition) coins which come out of the ground can be.
    It really depends on the soil conditions, PH level, exposure to moisture, etc.
    Much depends on how much circulation the coin actually saw before it was lost. The soil can actually act to protect the coin from oxidation, even after 2000 years of burial.

If they come out of the grand bright, the oxidation process starts very rapidly, so it is important to protect such coins from the environment.

Not arguing whether this one is real or not. Just addressing the point about the tone and/or overall condition.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  11. IdesOfMarch01

Triton XXI January 9, 2018 for $5,500 not including buyer's fee:

4673840.jpg

Arguably, the reverse on this coin is not as good as the reverse on the OP coin although the obverse on this coin is superior. The OP coin, if genuine, is worth far more than $500.

It's not just the lack of toning (AgS) on the coin; its overall condition is just stunningly good. While it's not impossible for it to come out of the ground in this condition, it is vanishingly close to zero. We're considering probabilities here, not absolutes.

12. Josh1990

Josh1990 New Member

Wow thanks guys for all your inputs and taking the Time out to reply. I know what you’re saying regarding being found alone on the day, and in such good condition. il be heading back when crops allow to further search although I did concentrate on the area for a good few hours after finding this. this is a permission of mine that’s produced a few toasted roman bronzes also and roman activity is known in the area. Here’s a couple more photos. Think I may take it to a coin dealer to try and confirm or deny.

Attached Files:

ominus1, iamtiberius and Alegandron like this.
  13. Josh1990

Josh1990 New Member

Forgot to add weight, 3.4 grams

ominus1 and Alegandron like this.
  14. IdesOfMarch01

Uh, you do realize that the coin you posted in your second set of pictures is not the same coin as the one you posted originally, correct?

15. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Isn't it? It looks the same just different lighting.

ominus1, randygeki and iamtiberius like this.
  16. Josh1990

Josh1990 New Member

Hi it is indeed the same coin just up close, on a coin case background, and had the foil and spit treatment to test for silver which took some dullness off.

17. IdesOfMarch01

So somehow the detail from the first picture just got lost when you took the second:

Original.jpg

Second.jpg

18. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

That's the joys of lighting.

iamtiberius and TIF like this.
  19. Josh1990

Josh1990 New Member

I appreciate you’re input idesofmarch01 you’ve been a great help and I never knew coins have been so widely forged. I don’t know what else to say regarding you’re current concern. The first pic was straight out the ground in the height of summer so a bright sunny well lit and with dust from the soil probably highlighting detail. Now it’s winter dark and lighting is provided by an energy saving bulb. I concur it has changed in tone from the day I found it but it’s 100% the same coin. Thankyou again

iamtiberius likes this.
  20. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

They're not even close! The Triton coin is EF. The OP coin is very worn with scratches and dings. You'll always pay more at auction. In a dealers store I still think under $500. In any case if real it's a nice coin. I'll look through the fake reports tonight...

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/ae..._diva_avgvsta_very_scarce/622910/Default.aspx

https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=152431
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=336271
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=303437

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Andres2 likes this.
  21. @Josh1990 can you provide a few pictures of the edge? Focused would be nice. Imho, I see no reason to doubt authenticity, yet. Weight, legend, bust, surface, and style seem correct. The way i see it; there are three scenarios. You're either lying (which some have seemed to presume, though I don't see your motive in doing so,) you're telling the truth and found a strangely placed forgery (even more unlikley than the former,) or you're telling the truth and found a rare denarius in a field in England. I lean heavily toward the very latter.

Michael

TIF likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted