Galba win from CNG

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Actually I won 2 coins today. the other will be posted in a separate thread.

I have been amassing ugly coins of Galba lately. I wanted one from Gaul. I spotted this one from CNG and I won it. It is a rough looking coin but the portrait has tons of character. This portrait is just one more exemplar of the wide variety of Galba portraits.

Please post your coins of Galba.

Galba. AD 68-69. AR Denarius (17mm, 3.15 g, 6h). Uncertain mint in Gaul (Narbo?). Struck circa April-late autumn AD 68. Laureate head right / Concordia standing left, holding branch and cornucopia. RIC I 105; RSC 34. Fine, toned, porous.
    Ex Meister & Sonntag Quick Auction 2007 (25 March 2007), lot 214.
    CNG E-auction Lot 353 September 5, 2018.

Galba ric 105 denarius.png

chrsmat71, Ryro, Okidoki and 21 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

You mean all of them? ;).

Really, a face only a mother could love.

Nice pickup though; I agree about the character of the portrait. Alas, I have nothing to share until a certain package from Germany shows up on my doorstep...

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

nice! Galba's portrait is grizzled even on "pretty" coins so it's quite aright to have ugly ones i find them quite attractive:artist:

Orfew likes this.
  6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I'm officially green with envy. :D You have so many sweet Galba coins.

I'm still with just the one "ugly Galba" you've all seen already. Mine is a real dog compared to yours, but it is my Galba and I love every ugly millimeter of it.

86832q00.jpg

Ajax, randygeki, Jay GT4 and 6 others like this.
  7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..welp, since we're in a confessing mode, here's mine for the Cointalk world to see Galba silver denarius 001.JPG Galba silver denarius 002.JPG Galba denarius, Rome mint

chrsmat71, TIF, Ajax and 8 others like this.
  8. Orfew

Thanks @Gavin Richardson

LOL No, not all of them. However this is number 7 in my collection of Galba denarii.

I look forward to seeing what is in your mystery package.

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  9. Orfew

A very nice example. Just look at that nose.

ominus1 likes this.
  10. Orfew

I really like that quinarius. One is definitely on my list.

ominus1 likes this.
  11. Meander

Meander Well-Known Member

I have recently acquired Galba with this particular attractive Spanish portrait style. While the reverse is far from perfect I find the potrait really captivating.

Tarraco mint, ca. AD 68. RIC 54.

Galba-Tarraco.jpg

chrsmat71, Hellbent, Andres2 and 14 others like this.
  12. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I don't have a Galba yet but I am admiring his grizzled look.

ominus1 likes this.
  13. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Uhm, amongst us bottom feeders here that coin is as perfect as it gets. Heck, I doubt I'll ever have a Galba that nice given how cheap I am (I tend to stay below $500 a coin with few exceptions).

14. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Aesthetic beauty is often overrated. Your coin has strong character and powerful presence. Well done, Sir!

Orfew and ominus1 like this.
  15. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

and another ugly Nerva:

P1180874.JPG

chrsmat71, TIF, Ajax and 5 others like this.
  16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

17. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

When I saw this coin up for auction I thought of you. I'm glad to see you won it!

18. Orfew

Thank you David.

19. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Congrats on scoring yet another interesting Galba, Orfew... you are certainly amassing quite a collection of them!

I had an As of his that I sold earlier this year, so I've been on the look out for a replacement. This is the one I won from yesterday's CNG... similar to yours, but with a different obverse legend. This particular 'Narbo' (?) portrait style is one I've always liked because it really seems to conveys the "cruelty and avarice" attributed to Galba by Suetonius.

4280355 Galba Concordia.jpg

Galba. AD 68-69. AR Denarius (17.5mm, 3.07 g, 6h). Uncertain mint in Gaul (Narbo?). Struck circa April-late autumn AD 68. Laureate head right / Concordia standing left, holding branch and cornucopia. RIC I 120; RSC 38. Fine, toned, minor porosity. Rare.
    Ex Gorny & Mosch 134 (11 October 2004), lot 2623

chrsmat71, TIF, Ajax and 3 others like this.
  20. Orfew

Thanks @zumbly

Congrats on your Galba. I really like that one.the portrait is amazing. I was hoping that a member here would pick up one of these from the auction. It seems that months can go by without any appearance of Galba coins and then...lots of them seem to appear all at once.

21. Orfew

The coin arrived today. Here is a new photo.

Galba roc 105 new.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted