Galba Sestertius, Remission of Taxes

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ken Dorney, May 8, 2019.

1. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

3221.jpg
    Galba, 68 - 69 AD
    AE Sestertius, Rome Mint, 36mm, 26.49 grams, Struck November 68 AD
    Obverse: SER GALBA IMP CAES AVG TR P, Laureate head of Galba right.
    Reverse: ROMA R XL, Roma in military garb standing left holding statue of Fortuna on globe and transverse Aquila, rests on trophy with foot on helmet, shield to left, S C to left and right in fields.
    BMC84 // Cohen193 // ACG7a // Foss23

Some might neglect or dismiss the impact and import of not just Galba the man but Galba the administrator. His rise to power during a confusing time of conflict and cultural change was to have a lasting impact on Roman society and future policy. Some historians have portrayed him as ‘cheap’ due to his refusal to pay bribes previously made by others. However he is said to have made the comment ‘I choose my soldiers; I do not buy them’. If the statement is even slightly accurate (and I think it likely) I feel it reveals quite a bit about the character of this short-lived emperor.

Galba represents quite a bit of drastic change for the fledgeling Roman Empire. Nero had succeeded in eliminating his entire family (or was suspected of doing so in some cases) and on his suicide there was the need to fill an important administrative vacancy, one which Galba was chosen to fill. His sons and wife had died sometime during the reign of Claudius, and as he preferred men over women it is not surprising that he had no heirs. Galba can be considered the first ‘adoptive’ emperor. As he was purportedly 70 years old when he assumed power he chose his heir and adopted Lucius Calpurnus Piso Licinianus. This choice was to be a critical mistake as Otho had assumed he would be selected, thus leading to the death of Galba and his heir.

But is reign represents some firsts: The first non Julio-Claudian emperor. The first emperor to be raised by his troops. The first to choose an heir based on merit and not blood. These things may seem simple on the surface but would have great and lasting impact on how the Empire would be formed in the future.

As for this coin, the legend R XL stands for remissa quadragesima. Gaul was of critical import and support to Galba on his rise to power and this repeal of a 2 1/2 percent tax on goods entering Gaul was a reward for and in appreciation. It is worthy to note that the he came to power Vespasian was quick to reimpose the very same tax!

Marsyas Mike, Ajax, zumbly and 19 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  4. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

No, I didnt see the post (as I assume many dont on the weekends). I need to read it.

Ken

5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

WOW fantastic coin, and very informative.

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

nice bronze of Galba Ken...:)

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Perhaps you should emphasize one more. Galba was unusual in the preceeding 100 years by not arranging the early death of someone who he should have found dangerous. Had he killed Otho, things might have gone better for him. Would Vespasian remained loyal under Piso? We will never know. What would 12 Caesars collectors collect? Today we consider Roman politics barbarous with all the deaths of potential opponents. It would have been a lot to ask Aurelius to kill Commodus or Septimius to pick a son and off the other but Galba should have cleared the stage.

8. EWC3

EWC3 (mood: stubborn)

Thanks - I know nothing of Galba and little of Roman history - but the general themes you raise here seem to echo loudly - in coinage history worldwide

Regarding this point

Brings to mind the enormous fluctuations over time in social attitudes regarding the political economy. 2.5% is surely peanuts of a tariff in modern terms, and would hardly be noticed?

Likewise, the abolition of a seigniorage of 3.5% on silver coin in England in 1666 was thought then a major matter of concern - when today we accept near 100% imposition, on our banknotes, but hardly bat an eyelid......

Draft saved Draft deleted