Future Value of NIFC Halves???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by heuvy31, Nov 28, 2013.

1. heuvy31

heuvy31 Active Member

I am curious to get everyone's thoughts on the future value of the NIFC halves. Thank you all in advance for your input, I always enjoy and appreciate the insight from the members here at CT.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

It's kind of a unique situation with them. If you look at coins of the past, there was a mintage of however many, few were saved, many were used for circulation, and some were lost to extreme wear, melt for precious metal, use in jewelry, etc. As our commerce needs have changed, the half dollar has become a non-circulated denomination, much like the two dollar bill - still minted or printed, but not used in active commerce. That said, if you mint, say, 8 million 2013 half dollars, and they don't see regular circulation, in 50 years, you will still have nearly 8 million 2013 half dollars, and many of them will still be at a minimum AU if not MS grade. I can't see them ever demanding much of a premium over face value unless the Mint would recall them for alloy use or the base metal value would skyrocket in relationship to the face value of the coin (like silver and gold have done in the past).

heuvy31 likes this.
  4. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

I would save very little since most of the NIFC will be stashed away in BU/MS condition. Also because they did make a lot of them and in a standard bank box of half dollars, you encounter NIFC very very frequently, or at least for me.

heuvy31 likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Since these coins are produced by the millions, I would be very surprised if they had any significant value even 100 years from now (except maybe in MS68-MS70). Just look at the 1885-CC Morgan. It has the lowest mintage of all the CC dollars at 228,000, but since the vast majority of them were never released into circulation, their value is substantially less than the 79, 89 & 93 CC's.

Chris

heuvy31 likes this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The value will probably never amount to much above 'face'. That said, I pick up a couple of rolls from the mint each year.

heuvy31 likes this.
  7. chip

chip Novice collector

I save the ones I find in roll searching, as for value, they might be useful trading with another collector someday,

Ryan Scribner and heuvy31 like this.
  8. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

NIFC?
    I don't collect modern releases but I'd at least would like to be aware of them.

9. green18

Not intended for circulation..........

10. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Ah ha!!!
    No wonder I couldn't figure it out; it doesn't stand for a particular issue.
    I guess it means such things as ASE's and other so-called bullion coins.

11. green18

Covers a multitude of sins.........:)

Draft saved Draft deleted