FurryFrog's Top 10 (really 11) of 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Jan 1, 2021.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Now that it's officially 2021, I figured that it is time to post my top 10 of 2020.

I had a really hard time picking these since every coin is top in my book but since lists are a thing...

There isn't much rhyme or reason to my collecting besides collecting things that are interesting to me. FFIVN is still working on his top 10 but I imagine he will be finished in the next few days (lots of competing interests right now, including finishing up the school work he didn't do before x-mas break :mad:)

Ok, so here are the coins I picked for my top 10. They are not in "favorite" order since I couldn't decide so I went with chronological order:

#1 - I love this one for being the biggest chonker in the FF collection. I know it's not as big as some others, but it is still a beast!

Ptolemy IV, Philopater
    AE38, 38.15g
    221 - 205 BC
    Obverse: Diademed head of Zeus Ammon right
    Reverse: ΠTOΛEMIAOY BAΣIΛEΩΣ, eagle standing left on thunderbolt, looking back at cornucopiae over right wing
    Ptolemy IV, AE38.png

#2 - FFIVN has a big fascination with Chinese cash coins and while I think they are pretty interesting and enjoy the history, I have a hard time differentiating between a lot of them. This is the oldest one in our collection and I like the simplicity.

Western Han Dynasty
    118-113 BC
    Five Zhu
    Provincial Mint
    Obverse: Wu Zhu, half moon below hole
    Reverse: Blank as made
    Hartill 8.10
    Western Han Dynasty, 118-113 BC, 5 Zhu, Hartill 8.10.png

#3 - This is a coin I think everyone should have in their collection and is the one that got me on a "Victory/Nike" kick. This is my 2nd of these and is a big upgrade from the one I bought at the first coin show that FFIVN and I attended with the express purpose of looking at ancients.

Amisos, Pontos
    AE22
    Time of Mithradates VI
    Ca 85-65 BC
    Obverse: Aegis facing
    Reverse: AMI-ΣOY to left and right of Nike walking right, holding palm tied with fillet over left shoulder; monograms to left and right
    Pontos, Amisos 85-65 BC.png

#4 - Continuing with the Victory/Nike theme, I snagged this provincial of Gordian III with a beautiful green patina and a great depiction of Nike on the reverse.

Gordian III
    AE25
    Hadrianopolis, Thrace
    Obverse: AYT K M ANT ΓOΡΔIANOC AV, laureate, draped bust right
    Reverse: AΔΡIANOΠOΛEITΩN, Nike standing left with wreath and palm branch
    Gordian III Hadrianopolis.png

#5/5b - This is a twofer, thus making my top 10 really the top 11...But I couldn't split them up! A pair of beautifully thick Alexandrian tetradrachms of Gallienus and his wife Salonina, both minted in year 15! They came from two different places but finally managed to be reunited after 1750+ years. How cool is that?!

Gallienus
    Potin Tetradrachm of Alexandria
    Year 15 = 267-268 AD
    Obverse: AVT K Π ΛIK ΓAΛΛIHNOC CEB, laureate and cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: Eagle standing facing, head left with wreath in beak; palm branch left, LIE to right
    Gallienus, Alexandria Egypt, Year 15, Tetradrachm.png

Salonina, wife of Gallienus
    Potin Tetradrachm of Alexandria, Egypt
    Year 15 (267/268 AD)
    Obverse: KOΡNHΛIA CAΛΩNEINA CEB, draped bust right
    Reverse: L-IE, eagle standing left, wreath in beak, palm-branch behind
    Salonina, Potin Tetradrachm, Alexandria Egypt, Year 15, 267-268 AD.png

#6 - Ok back to the regular countdown!
    This one is special to be because 1) it was a gift 2) continuing with the Victory/Nike theme and 3) it was minted in London. I spent my first 2 years in the Navy stationed in London and loved it. I hope that some day I can take my family to visit and show them all the amazing things there. Especially the British Museum.

Constantine I
    AE Follis
    319-320 AD
    Obverse: IMP CONSTANTINVS AG, helmeted, cuirassed bust left, spear over far shoulder
    Reverse: VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP, two Victories standing facing holding shield inscribed VOT PR on altar decorated with diamond
    Mintmark PLN
    Constantine I, Follis, 319-320 AD,  Mintmark PLN.png

#7 - I got heavily into Byzantine coinage this year and this is one of my favorites. I love the patina (way better than what is showing in the picture!) and the detail. Something that seems to be lacking in a lot of the coins from Phocas.

Phocas and Leontia
    AD 602-610
    AE follis
    Antioch as Theopolis
    Obverse: DN FOCA NE PE AV or similar, Phocas on left, holding cross on globe and Leontia, usually but not always nimbate, on right, holding sceptre topped by cross, standing facing
    Reverse: Large m (lower case), ANNO to left, cross above, regnal year (sometimes with dot above) to right, mintmark THEUP'
    Phocas and Leontia, Follis, Theopolis.png

#8 - I had been wanting a coin of Theophilus after listening to the podcast "History of Byzantium" and hearing all about the iconoclasts.

Theophilus
    AE Follis
    830-842 AD
    Constantinople
    Obverse: ThEOFIL' bASIL', crowned, three-quarter length figure of Theophilus facing, pellets on crown, wearing loros, holding labarum and cross on globe
    Reverse: ThEO-FILE AVG-OVStE SV-nICAS in four lines
    Theophilus, 830-842 AD, Follis.png

#9 - Another Byzantine emperor who I learned of from the "History of Byzantium" podcast. He was "born into the purple" and an interesting reign. This is a follis that features his mother, Zoe who served as his regent when he was young, who was an interesting character in her own right.

Constantine VII and Leo
    AE Follis
    Constantinople
    913-959 AD
    Obverse: CONSTANT CE ZOH b, crowned facing busts of Constantine, unbearded, on left, wearing loros, and Zoe, wearing chlamys, on right, holding patriarchal cross between them
    Reverse: CONS / TANTINO / CE ZOH bA / SILIS RO / MEON, legend in five lines
    Constantine VII and Zoe, Byzantine Follis.png

To be continued:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

#10 - Last but not least, here is a fugly Byzantine overstrike. I like it because of the fact that I was able to ID it while surfing ebay and noticed that it was misattributed. I really like Byzantine overstrikes when you can identify the host coin.

Nicephorus II Phocas
    AE Follis
    Constantinople
    Note: Overstruck on Constantine VII Follis
    Obverse: NICIFR bASIL ROM, crowned bust facing with short beard, wearing loros, holding labarum and cross on globe
    (reverse of Constantine VII CONST-EN QEO bA-SILEVS underneath bust)
    Reverse: NICHF-EN QEW bA-SILEVS RW-MAIWN, legend in four lines
    (bust of Constantine VII upside down on top of legend)
    Nicephorus II Phocas, 963-969 AD, AE Follis, Constantinople.png

2020 was certainly an interesting (awful) year but FFIVN and I had a great time collecting and learning from and interacting with all of you here on CT. Looking forward to what 2021 has in store!

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have to favor the Byzantine overstrike partly because they make up a group that most dealers don't have time to research well so you can get some interesting things for low prices set by the ugliness of some coins. Yours is a bit prettier than some. My Nicophorus II is on Leo VI (I think).
    rz0463fd2266.jpg
    I'll be interested in seeing the FFIVN list. I had a friend in college who advised, "Don't let your classes get in the way of your education." He flunked out but had taught himself to read Hieroglyphics while failing some required classes. He finished a few years later.

5. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

You got some nice coins furryfrog02:D I have to agree with Doug/ that Byzantine overstrike is something you never see.
    Thanks for sharing!
    John

furryfrog02 likes this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great collection for 2020, @furryfrog02 & Son! Congrats.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I think that Constantine VII & Leo is awesome! I also like the Gordie from Hadrianopolis. However, for me, on any list, a Ptolemaic hockey pucks always wins bigly. :D

Theodosius and furryfrog02 like this.
  9. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I love the Western Han 5 zhu, just a splendid example, with an excellent patina.

Your Byzantine bronzes are also very nice, especially the Constantine VII and Leo follis.

Well done!

furryfrog02 likes this.
  10. furryfrog02

That is an interesting overstrike!

FFIVN has about 5 coins right now picked out and and is hemming and hawing over a couple others. He is of the same mindset as me: It's too hard to narrow down to just 10, or any number for that matter. But expect to see at least a couple of Chinese cash coins haha.

Every coin has a story and is interesting in its own right.

As for school, since FFIVN is only in 4th grade, he doesn't have the luxury of shunning his classes for other pursuits :) We do however, take every opportunity we get to learn something new.

Theodosius likes this.
  11. furryfrog02

Oh, I should also add:
    Every coin on the list, minus the gifted coins (Constantine I and Gallienus), and the Ptolemy were less than $25, and that was only $38. Most of them were in the $10-$15 range.
    It just goes to show, that you can assemble an interesting and diverse collection on a budget.
    That was one thing that really kept me from pursuing ancients at first. The fear that it would be out of my budget.

12. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Interesting coins FF. My favorites are the Ptolemy IV and Ageis / Nike coins.
    In honor of your name I post a frog / anchor Aes Grave below.
    upload_2021-1-1_17-43-32.png upload_2021-1-1_17-43-58.png
    Doug, you know some interesting folks!

13. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

You can also find many nice Byzantine bronzes in the large lots that come up at auction from time to time.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  14. furryfrog02

Oh man! We need to get one of those! Perfect because of my name AND the fact that I'm in the Navy :)

Also, Doug IS interesting people :)

Theodosius and rrdenarius like this.
  15. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Some interesting Byzantines, nice Gordian, all pretty cool coins FF. You did well in 2020.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  16. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great group of coins all interesting but I love your Ptolemy IV, excellent eye appeal, brilliant coin, congrats on a great year of collecting.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I did not say that. You may never see gold ones but some Byzantine AE are rarely found NOT overstruck. Some/many are real messy. This may be my worst. It was $5 in 2015.
    Heraclius / Justin II
    rz0335fd2410.jpg

Johndakerftw and furryfrog02 like this.
  18. furryfrog02

I like that your coin is overstruck over a coin from several emperors prior to the "current" emperor.
    I picked up this Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine/ Phocas (I think) in 2020 as well.
    Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine. AE Follis. 610-641 AD..png

dougsmit and Johndakerftw like this.
  19. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice 2020 selections. I like coins #4 and 5 (with 5b). :)

furryfrog02 likes this.
  20. furryfrog02

How can you NOT love 5 and 5b?
    I can't help but wonder where those 2 coins have been over the last 1750 years before finally ending up together in our humble collection.

Theodosius and happy_collector like this.
  21. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

It is fun to see the variety in Top 10s, an interesting set @furryfrog02 with lots of good stories to tell. Having read a bit about Constantine VII, Zoe & Leo this year last year, #9 keeps pulling me in. (the reunited year 15 Egyptians do deserve a shout out :)). Best Wishes for the New Year!

furryfrog02 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted