furryfrog2 it is your fault !

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by bcuda, Jul 7, 2020.

1. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

@furryfrog02 seeing your post about your Commodus I realized I did not have a Commodus in a bronze coin. I love a large coin so you can see the bust better. So I went looking and I found one. Not real special but it is a sestertius and has the large bust I wanted. I spent $54 total with shipping. Now lets see if I don't jinx myself posting it before it arrives.

s-l1600com.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Hahaha I'm glad I could "help". Mine was a little less than half the price of yours but also probably about half the size. That is a really good portrait!

bcuda likes this.
  5. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

They certainly can be addictive!! Having been featured on coins from a young age through to the end of his reign, there are lots of varieties of obverse busts and reverse types... one could almost compare it to Caracalla denarii!

Here is my first (and very worn, but VERY cheap) Commodus Sestertius from a couple years ago (Commodus' age: 18-19yo)...
    [​IMG]
    Commodus, Ruled 177-192 AD
    AE Sestertius, Struck 179-180 AD, Rome Mint

Obverse: L AVREL COMMODVS AVG TR P V, Bust of Commodus, laureate, cuirassed, right.
    Reverse: IOVI VICTORI IMP III COS II P P S C, Jupiter, half draped, seated left, holding Victory in extended right hand and sceptre in left hand.
    References: RIC III 291f, Cohen 264, BMC 1720
    Size: 31mm, 27g

Earlier this year, I wanted to get one from his sole reign, and I was the 1st underbidder on a number of coins (even one was from his last year of reign), but then I got this one. But the obverse ended up being slightly more corroded on his beard than I had expected based on the seller's images. It still has a mighty cool reverse (Commodus' age: 23yo)...
    [​IMG]
    AE Sestertius, Struck 184 AD, Rome mint

Obverse: M COMMODVS ANTON AVG PIVS BRIT, laureate head right.
    Reverse: VOTA SVSCEP DECEN P M TR P VIIII IMP VII COS IIII P P, Commodus, veiled, togate, standing left, sacrificing over tripod from patera in right hand, S-C across fields.
    References: RIC III 441c
    Size: 30mm, 20.0 g
    Note: Reverse shows emperor sacrificing over altar for the ‘ten year’ vows. The ‘Vota suscepta decennalia’ was celebrated every ten years, regardless of how long the current emperor had been in power.

So I went on a little hunt for a week or more and found another I was happy with... at least at the time. Though the bust and beard are complete, it isn't quite as detailed or crisp as the previous. But it'll do for now (Commodus' age: 25yo)...
    [​IMG]
    AE Sestertius, Struck 186 AD, Rome mint
    Obverse: M COMMODVS ANT P FELIX AVG BRIT, laureate head right.
    Reverse: LIBERTAS AVG P M TR P XI IMP VII COS V P P, Libertas, draped, standing left, holding pileus in extended right hand and rod in left hand, S-C across fields.
    References: RIC III 471
    Size: 29mm, 20.7g
    Rare, 5 on ACSearch.

And I'm not entirely satisfied... I want that older, big, bushy bearded megalomaniac bust to add to my collection. The journey continues!!

6. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

Commodus_AD_180-192-removebg-preview.png

Commodus (Augustus)
    Coin: Brass Sestertius
    M COMMODVS ANTONINVS AVG - Bust of Commodus, laureate, draped, right.
    IVPPITER CONSERVATOR TR P VI IMP IIII COS III P P S C - Jupiter, nude except mantle over arms, standing front, head left, holding sceptre in left hand and thunderbolt in right hand extended over small figure of Commodus, togate, holding branch in right hand and scpeter in left hand
    Exergue: COSIIIPP

Mint: Rome (181 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 20.54g / 33mm / 12h
    References:
    RIC III 308Cd
    Provenances:
    Savoca Coins
    Acquisition/Sale: Savoca Coins Internet 6th Blue Auction #952 $0.00 10/05
    Notes: Oct 5, 19 - The Gary R. Wilson Collection

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-KoutjfGaeGOz-Commodus_sestertius-removebg-preview.png

Commodus (Augustus)
    Coin: Brass Sestertius
    M COMMODVS ANT P FELIX AVG BRIT - Laureate head right
    PIETATI SEN-ATVS - Emperor, holding volumen, and the Genius of the Senate, holding scepter, standing vis-à-vis and clasping hands; S C in field, COS V P P in exergue.
    Exergue: COSVPP

Mint: Rome (186-189 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 22.50g / 28mm / 12h
    Rarity: Rare
    References:
    RIC III 549
    MIR 18, 760-33/30
    Banti 236
    Mazzini 410
    Acquisition/Sale: Centsles eBay $0.00 02/19
    Notes: Feb 9, 19 - The Gary R. Wilson Collection

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Love the way you ancient folks do 'catalogue'.........In another thousand years, us modern folks will be able to do the same. :)

dadams and furryfrog02 like this.
  8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

One of his last issues:

[​IMG]
    Commodus, AD 177-192.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 22.51 g, 29.2 mm, 1 h.
    Rome, AD 192.
    Obv: L AEL AVREL COMM AVG P FEL, laureate bust of Commodus, right, with slight drapery on left shoulder.
    Rev: LIB AVG P M TR P XVII COS VII P P, Libertas standing facing, head left, holding pileus in right hand and vindicta in left hand; S C l. and r., low in field; star, mid right, in field.
    Refs: RIC 619b; BMCRE 692 var. (bust); Cohen 290; Sear 5764; ERIC II 573 var. (bust).

9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice, classic later period portrait on that one, @bcuda.

My favorite Commodus coin, exemplifying his totally bonkers belief that he was Hercules reincarnated.

Commodus - As Hercules 2575.jpg COMMODUS
    AE As. 10.7g, 24.5mm. Rome mint, AD 192. RIC 644; Cohen 193. O: L AEL AVREL COMM AVG P FEL, head of Commodus as Hercules right, wearing lion skin. R: HER-CVL/RO-MAN/AV-GV/S-C in four lines flanking club; all within laurel wreath.
    Ex Dr. Walter Neussel Collection (acquired from Dr. Busso Peus, 1958)

Another one I like very much is this lovely green British victory sestertius, ex @jamesicus.

Commodus Brittania sestertius.jpg
    COMMODUS
    AE Sestertius. 21.49g, 30.6mm. Rome mint, AD 185-6. British victory issue. RIC 452; BMCRE 560. O: M COMMODVS ANTON AVG PIVS BRIT, laureate head right. R: P M TR P X IMP VII COS IIII P P, S-C; Victory seated right on pile of arms, holding palm and shield, VICT BRIT in exergue.
    Ex James Pickering Collection

10. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

One "as Caesar":
    CommCaesSestSpes.jpg
    Commodus. As Caesar, 166-177 AD. Æ Sestertius. (31mm; 26.52 gm; 12h). Rome mint. Struck 175-176 AD. Obv: Bare headed and draped bust right. Rev: SPES PVBLICA - SC; Spes advancing left, holding flower and raising hem. RIC III 1530 (Aurelius); MIR 18, 344-16/13; Banti 385.

11. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Those are great Zumbly! That Victory is stunning! Reminds me a lot of British coins with Roma.

zumbly likes this.
  12. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Sestertii of Commodus - first with reverse of Cybele - mother of the gods and conservator or protector of Aug.

2970414.jpg 943216.jpg Y00487LG.jpg

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Thanks, I’m lucky to have it. One of my favorite pickups from AMCC 1 (2018).

bcuda and furryfrog02 like this.
  15. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

A fine new addition!

I have two chunky sestertii of Commodus, one as Caesar and one as Augustus. The first one I bought because of the historical reference to the Marcomannic Wars, the second one because of its attractive portrait:

Rom – Commodus, sesterz, de germanis.png
    Commodus, Roman Empire, sestertius, 177 AD, Rome mint. Obv: IMP L AVREL COMMODVS AVG [GERM] SARM; laureate and draped bust of Commodus r. Rev: T[R P] II COS [P]P; pile of Germanic arms; in fields, S-C; in exergue, DE GERMANIS. 31mm, 21.84g. Ref: RIC III Marcus Aurelius 1570. Ex CNG, e-auction 142, lot 134; ex CNG, e-auction 447, lot 471.

Rom – Commodus, Sesterz, Roma .png
    Commodus, Roman Empire, sestertius, 183 AD, Rome mint. Obv: M COMMODVS ANTONINVS AVG PIVS; laureate head of Commodus r. Rev: P VIII [IMP VI] COS IIII P P; Roma, helmeted, draped, seated l. on shield, holding Victory in extended r. hand and vertical spear in l. hand; in fields, S-C. 30mm, 25.14g. Ref: RIC III Commodus 369.

I'm still looking for the "deranged ruler believing himself to be Hercules"-type @zumbly has shown. (Yet, that image is maybe too close to reality to be funny right now...)

16. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Mint of Alexandria, Egypt.

Commodus (180-192. A.D.)

Type: Billon Tetradrachm, 25mm, 11.06 grams

Obverse: M AVΡ KOMMO ANTΩNINOC CE, Laureate bust of Commodus right

Reverse: VΠAT OCTOΔ, Zeus seated left, holding scepter and thunderbolt, K theta in field

Reference: Emmett 2567

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted