Furryfrog and Son's Top 10 of 2018

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Dec 31, 2018.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

We finally were able to sit down and whittle down our top 10 (each) for 2018. We have only been collecting ancients since ~July of this year but have had a blast so far. We have been the lucky recipients of some beautiful coins from some really great people and have purchased a few ancients ourselves at a few shows we have been able to attend.

We went through our coins and had about 30 that we both wanted for the top 10 haha. It wasn't easy to narrow down but we finally we managed. We weren't able to decide a 1-10 order though so the top 10 are just that, 10 with no ranking between them :) They will just be in alphabetical order since that's how they sitting in the folder. :)

I will post FFIVN's top 10 and then mine.

Without further ado:

1)
    Antoninus Pius Denarius.
    Obv: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP Laureate head right.
    Rev: COS IIII Thunderbolt on decorated altar.
    Antonius Pius Denarius COS III.jpg

2)
    Bactria, Apollodotos I
    Obv: Square AR Drachm. Elephant standing right, monogram beneath
    Rev: Humped bull standing right, monogram beneath.
    Apollodotus I (Apollodotos I) square Silver drachm, ElephantBull type 174-165 BCE.jpg

3)
    Constans AE3.
    Obv: D N CONST-ANS P F AVG, pearl-diademed head right
    Rev: VOT XX MVLT XXX within wreath. Mintmark SMALΓ
    Constans, AE3, 337-346 AD Mintmark SMALΓ.jpg

4)
    Constantine I AE Follis. 310 AD
    Obv: CONSTANTINVS PF AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: SOLI INVICTO COMITI, Sol standing left, chlamys falling from left shoulder, holding globe and raising right hand, T-F across fields.
    Mintmark PLN
    Constantine AE Follis.jpg

5)
    Phocas. AD 602-610. AE Follis. Nicomedia.
    Obv: DM FOCA PER AVG, crowned, mantled bust facing, holding mappa and cross
    Rev: Large XXXX, mintmark NIKOB
    Focas 607-608 AD 40 Nunmi.jpg

6)
    Hormazd IV
    570-590 AD
    Drachm, 4.14g
    Obverse: Bust of Hormizd IV right, wearing tall cap, crenellated crown with crescent and diadem tie below elevated globe, crescent at front, star left and right. Short beard, small ball of hair, moustache; diadem behind each shoulder, crescent on each shoulder. 1 ring, star and crescent symbols.
    Reverse: Fire altar with upturned diadem ties. Two facing attendants wearing crowns with globe, holding staff resting on the ground in front. Star left, crescent right of flames. 1 ring.
    Hormazd IV Drachm 590AD.jpg

7)
    John Hyrcanus I, Prutah
    Obv: Paleo-Hebrew within wreath
    Lettering:
    יהוחנן
    הכהן הג
    דל וחבר
    היהד
    ם
    Translation: Yehohanan the High Priest and the Council of the Jews
    Rev: Double cornucopia adorned with ribbons, pomegranate between horns; no monogram
    John Hyrcanus I.jpg

8)
    Marcus Aurelius. Sestertius.
    175-176 AD
    M ANTONINVS AVG GERM SARMATICVS, laureate head right
    TR P XXX IMP VIII COS III SC, Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae
    Marcus Aurelius 175-176 AD Sesterius.jpg

9)
    Syracuse ~4th century BC
    5.09g, ~14mm
    Don't know much else about this one
    Syracuse Horse.jpg

10)
    Tian Sheng Yuan Bao
    1023-1031AD
    Emperor Renzong
    Tian Sheng Yuan Bao 1023-1031AD.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Great coins @furryfrog02 I hope you and your son have great fun with the coins and I look forward seeing your additions in 2019. Are you mainly focusing in Roman coins or Greek coins will also be on your list?

I really like your #1 and your #2 Apollodotos drachm looks nice, I still need to get one of those.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It was an educational year. I hope 2019 is as productive. Does he have a want list for things that would fit but not duplicate?

furryfrog02 likes this.
  5. furryfrog02

I think I will mainly be focusing on Romans since there is so much to still learn and so many different ways to branch out. That's not to say that if something catches my eye and is within my meager budget I won't grab it haha. I would like to add at least one Greek in 2019. I don't know much about them yet.

Theodosius likes this.
  6. furryfrog02

2019 was very educational. We both learned a ton and it has been great spending the time together. I have yet to nail down exactly what his tastes are. As you can see by his top 10 his tastes are quite eclectic which is to be expected from a 7 year old :)

Theodosius likes this.
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice coins, FF.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  8. furryfrog02

And now for my top 10. Just as with FFIVN, it was very tough to make just a top 10. Mine are a little less eclectic than his as I tend towards Romans over anything else.

Again, in alphabetical order since that is how my computer sorted them:

1)
    Basil II and Constantine VIII, AE Class 2 anonymous follis. 976-1028 AD. IC-XC to left and right of bust of Christ, facing, with nimbate cross behind head, holding book of gospels, sometimes with dots in centre of book's border, two dots in each limb of the cross
    Rev: IhSUS XRISTUS bASILEU bASILE in four lines, ornament below.
    Basil II and Constantine VIII Anonmyous Follis.jpg

2)
    Claudius II AE Antoninianus. 268-270 AD.
    Obv: IMP CLAVDIVS AVG, radiate head right
    Rev: AEQVITAS AVG, Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae. Clashed with obverse
    Claudius II, AD 369-370,.jpg

3)
    Constantine AE follis. AD 326-327.
    Obv: CONSTANTINVS AVG, laureate head right
    Rev: PROVIDENTIAE AVGG, campgate with two turrets and one star above. Mintmark: dot BSIS dot
    Constantine AE follis 326-327 AD RIC VII 200,B SIS Dot.jpg

4)
    Geta, as Caesar, Denarius. 198 AD.
    Obv: P SEPTIMIVS GETA CAES, draped bust right
    Rev: FELICITAS TEMPOR, Felicitas standing left left, holding cauduceus & cornucopiae.
    Geta Denarius 198 AD.jpg

5)
    Hadrian AE Semis. Struck 125-128 AD.
    Obv: HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind
    Rev: COS III S C, lyre.
    Hadrian Semis COS III.jpg

6)
    Julius Caesar. 49-48 BC. AR Denarius.
    Obv: CAESAR in exergue, elephant right, trampling on serpent
    Rev: Simpulum, sprinkler, axe and priest's hat
    Julius Caesar Denarius 49BC.jpg

7)
    Maximianus. 297-298 AD. AE Follis
    Obv: CMA MAXIMIANVS PF AVG, laureate head right
    Rev: GENIO POPV-L-I ROMANI, Genius standing left, modius on head, naked except for chlamys over left shoulder (falls low), holding patera from which liquid flows and cornucopiae.
    Mintmark HTA
    Maximanius 297-298 AD Mintmark HTA.jpg

8)
    Maximinus I Denarius Forgery Fourree
    Obverse of Maximinus I, IMP MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG
    Reverse of Severus Alexander, P M TR P VI COS II P P, Aequitas standing left with scales and cornucopiae
    Maximinus I Denarius, Forgery RIC 99.jpg

9)
    Theodosius I, AE2, Constantinople. AD 378-383
    Obv: DN THEODO-SIVS PF AVG, helmeted, pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right, holding spear and shield
    Rev: GLORIA ROMANORVM, Emperor standing facing, head right on galley, raising right hand; Victory at helm. Wreath in left field.
    Mintmark CONA.
    Theodosius I, AE2, AD 378-383, Mintmark CONA.jpg

10)
    Trajan AE As.
    Obv: IMP CAES NERVA TRAIAN AVG GERM PM, laureate head right
    Rev: TR POT COS III PP SC, Victory walking left, carrying shield inscribed SPQR
    Trajan AE As. 98-99 AD.jpg

9. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Very nice diverse set of coins, looks like you and your son have settled in nicely to our fabulous hobby.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  10. furryfrog02

Thanks. We are having quite a blast with it. It's been even better thanks to the awesome people here in the Ancients forum.
    I'm not sure where 2019 will lead us with collecting but I do know for sure that I want to come up with a better system of tracking what we have. It was a bit of a pain to find the information for all the coins I posted. Perhaps I should use a spreadsheet or something.

How do you all track your collections?

11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Very fun!! I gotta agree with Furryfrog the younger -- gotta love a big ol' sestertius!!!

Hope 2019 treats both of you well and that your collection continues to grow!

furryfrog02 likes this.
  12. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Great year for such a young collector, I would have been very proud to achieve that in first year !

Q

furryfrog02 likes this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

IVN has a wonderfully diverse selection. His A-Pi is my favorite.

As for yours... the Hadrian semis, Geta, and of course JC are standouts to me :)

Watching the two of you dive in has been great fun for all of us, so thank you!

zumbly and furryfrog02 like this.
  14. furryfrog02

Thanks @TIF ! It's been a blast collecting with him. That A-Pi was mine but somehow managed to slip over to his side of the flip box one day...haha not sure how that happened. But to be honest, they are all his anyways. :)

15. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I like the broad early collecting approach that allows you and your son to figure out what really excites you. I really like that galley reverse design for the Theodosius. Late Roman coins sometimes suffer artistically. Not that one.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  16. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I'm several times his age and well you know what they say your as old as you think you are, I happen to like that quite eclectic style myself.
    Seems both father and son are enjoying themselves. I wished I could have gotten my sons or even grandson interested.
    You are very fortunate indeed.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  17. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I love FFIVN's eclectic taste! On your list, I'm particularly fond of the Hadrian semis and the Siscia mint Claudius II with the die clash.

When my son was 3, he applied his remarkable child's memory to the hundred or so coin pictures he found on my phone and soon could name 40 odd Roman emperors by their portraits. He's 6 now and has moved on to other things... I'm hoping some day he'll come back to coins. Here's hoping 2019 will bring you and FFIVN many more coins and the time to spend enjoying them together. :)

TIF and furryfrog02 like this.
  18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Some neat stuff!

furryfrog02 likes this.
  19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Awesome line-ups @furryfrog02 ! I REALLY like that your Son is sharing this hobby with you. However, no matter what, I m going to vote for your SON's pics over yours. :D

furryfrog02 likes this.
  20. furryfrog02

I vote for his as well haha :p

Alegandron likes this.
  21. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Yeah, but seeing the care and love for your Son in his collecting, I bet that you did not override HIS picks... :)

furryfrog02 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted