Funny Money?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Brina, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Brina

Brina Well-Known Member

Good Day all:

I'm doing way more currency searching lately. I draw out 4-5K at a time.

Recently, I've been working with the head teller at my branches. I've been fortunate enough to have them begin giving me their "funny money"--which is coin that's not popular. I get all of their dollar coins and Kennedys.

Yesterday's take was $1100 worth of Kennedys and dollar coins. When I opened my sack at home, I was doubtful--as the rolls looked pre-searched. I'm half-way through the lot without anything truly spectacular yet, but I have gotten 6 Sacagawea proofs and numerous circulated NIFC President dollars.

My question is how are you all getting good stuff put aside to search? It seems that the banks have to save up $1000 in gold dollar coins before they can turn them in--taking up space in the vault until they reach $1000. So they're actually HAPPY for me to come get them. I have an arrangement whereby I can just dump the searched coin into their counter without a service charge. They aren't allowed to do this with the bank's coins, so it works our symbiotic for the both of us--as I don't have to re-roll the coin.

Who has bank tips to share? Thank you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are doing exactly what you need to do. Making a relationship with those tellers is a big step in the right direction. Next step there is nothing you can do to help, and that is just getting lucky. I have had the best luck with customer wrapped rolls.

Seattlite86 and TJ1952 like this.
  4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Maybe this should be moved to the CRH forum?

NOS and TJ1952 like this.
  5. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Good catch, I didn't see the category the first time around.

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I need to get a weekend bank job.
    :)

TJ1952 likes this.
  7. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Is that 4-5 thousand dollars?? Wow, you got me beat! I set aside 1k to play with for boxes of half's only.

I agree with @jtlee321. Sounds like you are doing everything right. You established relationships and set a consistent logical pattern that benefits you and banks. Besides luck, I would add location, location, location. That seems to be a factor as well. JMO

I knew going in to this box searching thing that it would pretty much be a pain in the butt! I have one financial institution I deal with, my credit union. They will not order boxes for customer and I've had zero luck with customer rapped rolls. WE DON'T DO HALF DOLLARS HERE, SHE SAID! Okay, thank you very much I said. The tellers rarely have lose half dollars in their trays. Come to find out, they don't even accept wrapped coins from customers. Why? I'll get back to that in a minute...

So now what? The coin searching thing was on hold. I was now in search of banks that would order boxes for me without being an account holder...not easy! Plus, I wasn't about to open accounts in different banks just to get access to these half dollar boxes.

Bottom-line: I hit "many" different banks, some were the same banks just different branches within a five to ten mile radius of where I live. I found four banks (several weeks of searching and after talking to the managers) that would order boxes for me, very reluctantly I might add. I left my name and number with them.

Back to my credit union. Why? Because they have self service coin sorting machines at all their branches. So that's where I dump the half's. They have half dollars now!

I started this venture on a whim, just to see how lucky I would be. I've been pleasantly surprised!

One other major tip I can provide to others that has gone a very long way and has really paid off. Like I said, there were 3 or 4 tellers or managers that weren't real happy to see me and were rather reluctant to help me. We all know these boxes are a pain to deal with. I've sacrificed several proofs and 40%'ers I've found over the months. I cleaned them up a little bit, put them in 2x2's and gave one to each of those reluctant tellers/managers. Trust me when I say, you only have to do that once. You give one coin to one teller that helped you with that box and every employee in that bank will know it before you walk out. You'll have a friend for life in that bank!

One problem I've had with this success. I've had all four banks call me to pick up the boxes within a 24 hour period. When it rains it pours!

Draft saved Draft deleted