Funny Money Question-Two Dollar Bills

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Randy Abercrombie, Mar 25, 2023.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Over the years old Santa Claus has been putting “funny money” in the kids stockings. Now the kids are reaching the age where spending money is more appealing than saving money and between them they have quite a stack of two dollar bills…… There isn’t anything collectible about these is there? They are spenders, right?

0B5CB813-2A5C-4622-8635-9BCD2BDB8119.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I keep the 1976 ones and one example of the other dates. besides that they are all spenders. :)

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Indeed. Just be sure to check for any fancy serial numbers beforehand.

dwhiz and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I see a few Happy Meals there! :smuggrin::hungry:

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

NOS and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Thanks. Most all of these are 2013…. But I do remember seeing one 2003 in the batch. I’ll have to swap her for a couple of singles.

alurid likes this.
  8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Ah, they saved them. Give em double face and tell them that it is what it will cost to get them back.

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

When I was a kid, those Morgans and Peace dollars were spenders too...DRAT

Dynoking and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Check for low mintages, fancy serial numbers and try to get them to keep one of each year.

11. Randy Abercrombie

Funny thing is that yesterday my girl reached her goal. She had worked all year to save enough to buy her an iPhone at $700.00…. We sat at the table and counted everything out….. Then I explained sales tax to her. The poor child’s heart sunk so I am going to cover the sales tax…… This time.

12. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Spenders?! No! These came from Santa Claus. It would be really cool if these kids put the bills into their kids Christmas stockings. Besides todays "team members" that man the registers would not accept these counterfeit bills anyway.

charley and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  13. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Great values being taught. Good, but tough, lesson on playing the tax man. Now you have the timing on your side to teach about interest earning with compounding. Since interest rates are no longer zero, she can open a 'high yield' savings account and earn about 3.5% interest compounded daily, posted monthly. Explain to her how she can earn money even while sleeping. ;) And that interest earned earns interest.

I know American Express offers such an account. Also, it's FDIC insured up to $250k. Good to know in this crazy banking environment these days.

14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I would certainly double check the serial numbers. Other than that, spenders in my book.
    I got a strap of 100 a while back and use them to tip wait people and occasionally hand them out to street corner people.

15. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Tax exemption: She can file as a business expense. No age limit. She can file a Schedule C, and take deductions for 3 years before she has to reflect a profit. You can make a generational wealth gift to her, and you do not have to pay taxes. She can also list the gift as an asset, take a personal loan against it, and then pay herself back with interest and deduct the interest.

She could also lease it instead, and the world gives haer a lot of free stuff with that taxwise...deduction for loss/damage, cost of insurance, cell phone use charges....

I LOVE THE U.S. TAX CODE!!!!

Start em' young, I say.

Hey, while I am thinking about it, she could file as an LLC and you can take an investment position, and...
    Ok. I will stop. Point made.

I love America....

Wait a minute, she could then form a Trust, and list the phone as a Trust asset on Schedule of Assets and then lease it back from the Trust and.....

16. Randy Abercrombie

You crack me up. I need a new CPA…

charley likes this.
  17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just hire Charley

charley and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  18. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

What would happen, oh heaven forbid it, she just actually paid the sales tax? There, I said it. Don't flog me!

Randy Abercrombie and charley like this.
  19. charley

Darn it, I almost forgot about the Depreciation over 7 years, but since it is under the $900.00 threshold, she can write the whole thing off in YEAR 1, then upgrade as a Maintenance lime item and take the full deduction yearly.

She can then monetize the whole darn thing, by FB, or TikTok or U Tube, etc., and copyright it as "Dad's Quips" or some such thing and short videos about your daily wisdom to her, with a humor Bent.

She will make Billions, Jerry...Billions I tell ya....

20. charley

See, that would be a mistake, because then she will receive IRS Forms for Quarterly Estimated Tax Payments, and that can not be deferred or deducted, except against the total 1040 amount due, but the whole darn point is to not pay taxes.
    Why do you want to blow a great gig?

Not to mention, that could end up pizzing her off, and she could file reportable income paid to you via 1099, and no, the $600.00 threshold is a myth in that scenario, because it is still income to you and you would have to claim it as such and pay taxes, while she would then have to add 5610 and claim it as unreported payments.

Not to mention she would then have to reduce the value on Schedule A of Trust Assets. THAT would be a BIG headache.

21. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

You do know @charley is serving in Leavenworth?

Draft saved Draft deleted