Funky smell to ancient?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Jun 22, 2013.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I just received today an ancient coin (antoninianus of Philip I) in the mail, and when I took a close look at it (my nose was relatively close to the coin itself), a weird, kind of repulsive smell hit my nostrils and I was just "phew! That's nasty!" If I had to describe it, I'd say it was a mix of cigarette smoke smell and a metallic smell. Would it have been simply from being in a smoky, dirty smelling place for too long, or is it possible there's something more to it? And would there be any non-damaging way to get rid of it? I plan on leaving it exposed to fresh air, and if that fails, will attempt keeping it in distilled water for some time. And has anyone else gotten strange smelling ancient coins before?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Toss it in acetone to see if it gets rid of the smell.

And nope, never gotten a stinky ancient.

4. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I thought is that it would have to do with how it was processed... sometimes they use chemicals... and some pretty nasty ones to break up the funk on the coins.

5. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Maybe its the stench on being on a dead mans eyes for 1,800 years. :eek:

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I have had coins and antiquities have a stale mustiness smell that sounds similar. Water doesn't help, but lots of fresh air lessons it.

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Ive had antiques smell. Worst is comic books, just the few I have gotten recently from the late 70s smelled like they had been in a cedar chest for a long time. Some smelled like moth balls too.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

To smell it, it would have to be in the vapor stage, and that would usually disappear rather rapidly. If it linger, there is most likely solid particles of the 'substance' either on the surface or in crevices. One always avoided darker 'toned' buffaloes as being cigar toned. Acetone should remove organic material.

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

When dealing with things 2000 years old from places occupied by a wide variety of cultures, anything is possible. Over the years I have heard several stories that could make you want to wash your coins but I really doubt they are any dirtier than your modern money (which is very dirty). The best of the worst, as far as I'm concerned, is the old tale that coins were cleaned and toned naturally by feeding them to goats. When passed, a quick rinse and they were ready for market.

I might also point out that I have always been a fan of open trays for coin storage rather than air tight plastic. Since you never know what happened to a coin in the last 2000 years, a little fresh air makes sense even for coins that don't stink. In this case, acetone and a bath in strong sunlight might speed the process.

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

To smell or not to smell, that is the question.
    Whether ‘tis Nobler using the sink to clean
    The Slings and Arrows of outrageous storage,
    Or to take Arms against a Sea of crap,
    And by opposing – end them!

The Heart-ache, and the thousand Natural odors
    That coins are heir to? ‘Tis acetone
    Devoutly to be wished. To die from stink,
    To gag, perchance to Heave; Aye, there’s the rub.

I just couldn't help me self.

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sorry Jango => I had to "swallow" that coin to get it across the border ... hopefully, over time it'll lose my stevex6 imprint?!!

:eek:

;)

12. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

A smelly ancient coin reminds me of "the watch" from Pulp Fiction. :eek:

13. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Great, Bing.

Are you sure the smell of the coins isn't getting to you.

14. Bing

I put them in a line and sniff

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I agree with the Noob ...

Bing => your writing skilz surpass all of our expectations ...

I personally, would buy two tickets to your "Shakespeare & Roman Coin" Live-Performance!!

Please send the time & date, so the wife and I can set-up some vacation plans!!

:cheers:

16. Bing

Time and date TBD (after my rehab)

17. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I've had coins smell like that too.

18. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

If following Doug's advice, be careful with direct sunlight. I have had bad results ever leaving coins in dire t sunlight, from fading to accelerated chemical reactions. I prefer indirect sunlight and breezes to keep the coin cooler.

19. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

This thread turned out to give me quite a laugh, in addition to the good info, thanks guys! :D

Update: after leaving it out in open air for 12 hours, the smell is totally gone from the coin, yay! Now I can actually hold and look at it closely without smelling that stench again, or getting it on my fingers! :eek:

20. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

No worries, just the plague, dysentery, or some such, waking up on the correct side of the top soil is always a plus.:eek:

21. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

well, im glad to know i'm not the only one who has sniffed his coins. :eek:

and i think coin talk has a new poet laureate! :jumping-jack:

Draft saved Draft deleted