Fundamentals of Fake Coin Detection

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Firmso, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Firmso

Firmso Coin Dawg

Please Post pictures of Fake Coins (world and US Coins) here with a brief description of the tell tale sign so beginner collectors like myself can learn from em. Thanks in advance for your time.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You can find quite a few by using the links you find here - Counterfeits

4. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

Great Idea

My Pock~it piece belongs here.

Just don't have a photo of it YET.....so.....:hail:

BRB~

5. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

Knew I was robbed for 10 Cents

My coin shaped artifact "token" goes with me in my pocket. It is ugly, light to the touch, is not stamped "COPY/REPLICA/BOGUS", JUMPS toward a magnet and almost looks like a vintage US Morgan Silver Dollar.

Despite NO Morgans being officially Minted in CC in 1886 (wasn't that because the Mint was run by crooks?) I find this a wonderful coin to carry in my pocket until some mugger prys it from my cold dead jeans pocket.

Until then, I take it to yard sales and ask folks if they have any coins that resemble it.

I've had two offers to take it off my hands for $20. They were old folks so I didn't Dope~slap them on the spot.:D

But this coin is SO bad that I've had a lot of fun telling others how BAD it is.

It's just scary that they may be getting GOOD at it around the Pacific Rim jobbers.:eek:hya:

Attached Files:

6. GoldCoinLover

GoldCoinLover Senior Member

7. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted