Fun with Google

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Jan 4, 2021.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I know everyone knows you can do a word search on Google but did you know you can also search for a photo? For example, the image below is the head image on my website and has been up for about twenty years.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/25group.jpg

Searching 'by image' gives

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=s...=2ahUKEwie7YShr4LuAhVMCN8KHSG6C8QQ9Q96BAgBEBc

listing 574 results. I did not check all of these (some are dead) but some are places I used the image; some are people I gave permission to use the image (for example Ancient Coins for Education) and several that I had no idea would want my image. Perhaps my favorites are the sites promoting making private ownership illegal. After all, I am scum so stealing from me is justified --- right? Other favorites are in languages I do not speak and about subjects I do not understand. Some are school projects and other non commercial uses that I am happy to help. I enjoy looking at how widespread my image has become.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    john65999, rrdenarius, PeteB and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I use Google's image search often. Sometimes the results are hilariously wrong or generic. Other times it is quite helpful!

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

:snaphappy: Nice Job from the Light Side

jamesicus likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Here's a funny example of a baffling hit. The image I searched:

[​IMG]

Google's algorithm considered the following image "visually similar" o_O:

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 7.47.46 AM.png

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

This is too much fun :D. Here's another miss:

[​IMG]

The first hit in the "visually similar" parade:

[​IMG]

I guess the color palette is similar...

7. Dialupsux

Dialupsux Well-Known Member

love that "CACA" sticker

rrdenarius, spirityoda and TIF like this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes, I know you enjoy working for a living but I suspect you could go full time issuing CaCa stickers to those who value a third party opinion. I mean, anyone can get a professional grading service just by sending money but CaCa is an honor most rare. (You have to have been here a while.)

john65999, rrdenarius, TIF and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted