Fun surprise package from the Netherlands today! (Thanks, Andres!)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Mar 3, 2018.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I say "surprise package" because in the time it took to cross the Atlantic, I had forgotten @Andres2 had told me he was sending me this.

What a fun gift! Thank you!

This is a handsome set of ancient coin replicas put out by BP. I'm not sure when. I like these better than the series of Presidential tokens put out by Shell Oil in this country in the late 1950s/early 1960s. These are quite classy looking replicas in their green frame.

20180303_181557.jpg 20180303_181603.jpg

This is likely to be as close as I'll ever get to a Croesus stater or Syracusan dekadrachm.

20180303_184700.jpg

It came this afternoon. Apparently Customs had opened the package, and also rather crudely tore open the inner envelope... then never resealed it! It was open when I received the package, though happily the contents were intact and none of the tokens had come loose from the frame, because they would have fallen out of the open end of the package.

This set looks nice on the wall near my bedside table, above the vintage etching @dadams sent me. Since those two things hang below the chronometer from the boat we lived aboard when I was a kid, they're among the first things I see when I open my eyes.

Thanks, guys! :)

20180303_185808.jpg

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

5. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That is SO cool! What a fun set!!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Glad it ended well with customs Rob, These were issued in 1969 both in France and the Netherlands.
    Here's the French version in a red carton, not so chique.

P1140630.JPG

8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..how very thoughtful n nice! :)

9. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Cool sets guys.

I got this one in a jar of Nutella :)

Nutella_Caesar.jpg
    NUTELLA CESAR 1995 Coscinny Uderzo in Exergue
    Laureate draped bust of Caesar

CAESAR DICT PERPETVO
    Laureate head right

5.57g
    Uncertain Italian mint :)

10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Fun thread!!

alde likes this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Zeus help me... now I want to collect vintage replicas of ancient coins :D

Theodosius and alde like this.
  12. alde

alde Always Learning

Very nice. It makes a great wall display.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thats neat

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Very nice!! Very generous of @Andres2 too!

I have a couple of the US and Canada oil company token sets. I didn't know there was one with replica ancient coins. I will have to look for one of these now. I like it when I can combine my love of Gas and Oil memorabilia and Coins.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  15. lordmarcovan

Well, it helps if the replicas are almost 50 years old and mounted in a nice little board.

Theodosius and TIF like this.
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes, perhaps, but what I like are replica/fakes with a story. I would like a genuine, original Becker fake now over 200 years old or a struck Paduan. So far my best item in the category was a dekadrachm passed out with bicycle catalogs in 1898 by the Stearns Bicycle Co. located in Syracuse (NY, that is). They used Roman numerals because even the educated cyclist of the day would have stumbled at 1898 in Greek.

z05000bb2502.jpg
    [​IMG]
    To me, the highlight of the catalog was a code page giving words you could wire to the company to order specific items but not incur a large expense at the telegraph office. Why say "Ship by express a replacement Dunlop tire for my Combination Tandem bicycle" when "clock" would serve the same purpose?
    http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/bikes-1800s/1898-2/stearns-the-yellow-fellow-yearbook/

Evan8, RAGNAROK, Curtisimo and 8 others like this.
  17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What an interesting anecdote!

18. lordmarcovan

I've sent Andres' Dutch BP replicas on to @Aethelred, since we're about to be doing home renovations at my place and all of my worldly goods will be displaced.

I think they'll look great on the wall of his shop. I'll still get to admire them when I visit. :)

I just revisited this thread since @Evan8 posted a Stearns Bicycle dekadrachm from Syracuse (New York), like the one @dougsmit posted above. Neat stuff.

panzerman, Evan8, RAGNAROK and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted