FUN Show (Florida United Numismatics)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Duke Kavanaugh, Dec 7, 2009.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

That's great, happy for the Ancient afficionados.

I'm trying to get up to speed on the sector and would love to get a nice conversation piece about a period of time I'm familiar with somewhat (Macedonians, etc.). Not sure I will be up to speed. Maybe I will have time at the convention to get educated.

masterswimmer likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

Was anybody contemplating a dinner for CT folks attending FUN ? I wanted to know to keep that night free.

I have F&F in the area who I will be visiting but I have several nights they are OK with and didn't want to book on the night CT folks might consider doing dinner.

4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

One reason there are more than usual is that the NYINC doesn't conflict with FUN, like it has in the past now and then. World and ancient dealers can attend both shows.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  5. GoldFinger1969

FUN has like 1,500 dealers...how many does NYINC have ?

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Only like 150... but the show is exclusively focused on foreign and ancient coins. Collectors of ancient and foreign coins would very often skip FUN and go to NYINC instead. That's where the buyers were, so that's where the dealers went.

Since the shows are on different weekends this year (and hopefully always, now), many dealers who've not gone to FUN before will now be there. I think this will be a win for everyone. I suspect some dealers who never went to NYINC may consider going there now, as well.

ldhair and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  7. GoldFinger1969

PF, I am going to try and stop by NYINC even though it's 2 big shows in a week and I've never gone to more than 2 small LOCAL shows in a month ! :D

I think you have to pay to get into NYINC, not so with FUN. Surprised FUN (and the other big shows, ANA and Long Beach ?) don't charge a nominal entrance fee or a pass good for multiple days.

Eh...the dealers will get that money from me anyway. :D

8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Different approaches for different shows. The cost to put on the show is quite different, and I'm sure the table fee for a dealer will be different.

The other difference is the intended audience: FUN desires to bring in new collectors, wants to be welcoming to the public. If you don't know anything about coins and just want to check it out, you're not going to want to spend for an entrance fee. For exactly the same reason, NYINC charges an entrance fee - they only want dedicated collectors to come, making for a highly energetic and knowledgeable group on the bourse.

There is a coupon for NYINC: http://www.nyinc.info/coupon.php

9. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

Hi, There are 6 boxes about 20x20." I am trying to move and space is an issue. I would like to sell the coins and buy more valuable silver pieces that are slabbed.

10. GoldFinger1969

FUN GET-TOGETHERS: I'm leaving tomorrow for FUN and will be in FL Wednesday night. If anybody wants to reach me for coffee or drinks or dinner if there isn't a post on this thread, just Private Message me and I'll RSVP. I'm staying about 3/4 mile away from the Convention Center.

11. GoldFinger1969

CT Members Attending FUN as DEALERS: Make sure you posted your presence and/or location/name or do so now. Many of us would like to patronize CT posters where possible.

12. GoldFinger1969

Anybody heard anything about FUN 2021 ?

13. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I'm hoping it's on as I would like to go...

14. almostgem

almostgem Junior Member

Thought I had gotten an email saying that it was scheduled to go on, and I don't see any mention of cancelling it on the website. If you go .... be careful, an awful lot of people in a relatively small space (considering the numbers that normally attend).
    I'm sure, that masks will be mandatory.

http://www.funtopics.com/fun-convention.html

15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Still planned to happen. I'll be making my decision late this year whether or not to go.

16. WLH22

WLH22 Well-Known Member

Good to see the bigger shows are taking place. I am hoping the Central States show and ANA happen in 2021 as well.

17. GoldFinger1969

FUN SHOW January 5-8th, 2023: Looks like it will be the first regular FUN show since I last attended for the 1st time. :D

I'm not sure if I'm going, have to work out some things. Will report back and post here. But for those of you who post only on CT.com, if you are going I'm sure whoever goes will want to hang out and/or have a drink or maybe walk the bourse.

If you've never attended, one thing to STRONGLY consider is staying in a hotel as close to the convention center as possible. Makes it easy to hang out for small periods of time with other attendees. Last time I was about 3/4 mile down the road at a cheaper hotel and I would have paid up had I known about the extra ease in being right near the show.

It was great seeing a bunch of CT'ers 3 years ago, I hope I can do a repeat.

18. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Whew!!
    That took extra logic on my part to figure out. I am OK, though....it just took a little old guy extra time.

masterswimmer and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  19. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Uh oh, something an old guy would be running short on :jawdrop:

GoldFinger1969 and charley like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted