FUN Show (Florida United Numismatics)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Duke Kavanaugh, Dec 7, 2009.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The show promoters will tell you that one is better for this reason or that reason, or that this show is bigger than another.

The truth is, for the average collector, they are all pretty much the same size and quality. You go, spend two or three days, see as much as you can, buy what you like, and leave tired.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that only 5% will have bills. At the local shows, I'd say its 25-50% of the dealers/tables have currency.

4. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Regarding National shows, is this one THE one to attend? Is it better than the ANA show in Chicago?

5. GoldFinger1969

Guess that depends...if you live in the Chicago suburbs, the ANA show is best...if you live on the East Coast and want to escape the Winter weather...FUN. :D

6. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

Ok, let me repeat the question again: where and when is this show?

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You bet. One does a lot of hiking at one of these events......

9. GoldFinger1969

Good, my FitBit streak of 10,000 daily steps should continue unabated. :D

10. Libby007

Libby007 Active Member

Hi all - I'm an ancient guy - both in coins & in age. My question to you all is - What large national shows have a large participation from ancient coin dealers? I'm on the east coast ... but "have coin will travel". Thank you all - in advance - for some direction here. -

11. GoldFinger1969

The NY International Show seems to be the biggie concentrating on foreign and ancients. Mid-January I think.

green18 likes this.
  12. Libby007

Libby007 Active Member

Thanks for the reply. What about shows in Baltimore?

13. GoldFinger1969

Never been to anything other than the local monthly and quarterly shows in the NY area (which had a decent level of foreign/ancient coins, considering only 20-30 dealers).

Others will have to weigh in about Baltimore, Bay State, ANA, and Long Beach.

14. GoldFinger1969

Paying For Stuff @ FUN..... Hey, do most of the dealers accept credit cards or do they want cash ?

15. physics-fan3.14

In my experience, very few will take credit cards. Some will accept checks if you have a couple of dealers references. Most of the transactions are in cash.

That may be different when we're talking about very expensive stuff, but I stick to the ~$1k stuff.

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't see many using credit cards at the show. Most dealers are not able to process cards there and it cost them 2 to 5% in fees if they do.

Like Jason said, good dealer references may help with checks. This type of payment takes a lot of trust from both sides.

I made a large deal once with a dealer that had no reason to trust me. I made an offer to give him a check and he could ship the coins a few weeks later, after he knew the funds were good. This built a trust between us that has lasted for many years.

Cash and carry is by far the best way to go. Some hotels offer SDBs that you can store cash and coins in. That's better than the small room safes. You can also ship your coins home from the show and not worry about having to travel with them.

The Fun show also has a security room that you can use for storage. You just have to plan around when the security room in open.

17. GoldFinger1969

Thanks guys...the real problem security-wise seems to be with the dealers getting robbed, from the past headlines. :D

I figure to bring cash, but charging and getting points for what will probably be 4-figures of spending wasn't something I was averse to. No matter.

18. physics-fan3.14

If you are going to be buying from the Heritage auction, they do accept credit cards up to $2500.

19. GoldFinger1969

Yes, I already am signed up with HA. Won a few things in the last year or so. Mostly low-priced stuff.

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I try to catch parts of HA at the show. It's fun to just kick back and watch coins being sold.

21. GoldFinger1969

So they are auctioning off a 1927-D Saint-Gaudens at the show I understand. From Dr. Steve Duckor's collection.

I guess just like they have physical auctions somewhere in Texas or California that I sometimes bid on Monday or Tuesday nights, anybody with Big $$$ will be able to bid on that 1927-D Saint from home even if they are not at FUN.

Draft saved Draft deleted