FUN Show Finds

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Brian Bucklan, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

Spent the day at the FUN show. Saw some very interesting and rare ancients, none of which I could afford, but I did come away with some nice coins. Here's a few of them:

Gordian Antioch.jpg Antioch Pisidia : Gordian III : 32mm

Ox: Laureate head right
    Rx: CAES AN-TIOC-H COL, S R in exergue; Gordian standing right on low basis, holding Genius, clasping hands with Antiochia standing left on low basis, holding sceptre; lighted altar between

Balbinus Heracleia Pontica.jpg
    Heraclea Pontica : Balbinus : 20mm

Ox: AYTO K Δ BAΛBINOC AYΓ Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust rt
    Rx: HPAK – Λ – EΩTAN ΠONTΩ Goddess wearing long robe, polos and veil, standing facing and holding two corn ears in left hand and apple in right

Anastasius Pentanummium Constantinople.jpg
    Anastasius Ae Pentanummium : Constantinople Mint

An interesting type. Never saw one without an officina to the right of the reverse epsilon.

And finally this one which I'm not 100% sure of. Maybe a coin of Seleukos the something. It's a larger 25mm bronze. Any ideas?

Unknown Seleucis.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Great buys! Some of those look familiar. :D

4. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

I have an image of some of the neat ancients I saw. The dealer’s wife was a very nice lady. 4096CE79-02A8-46E3-89B2-2842E3A22D9A.jpeg

5. Brian Bucklan

Saw those. More coins I couldn't afford.

Milesofwho and Kentucky like this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I think I saw some of those a few years ago. James Beach's table? Pretty sure that was the first aes grave I've ever touched :D

Brian Bucklan and Milesofwho like this.
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice, Brian. I like the Anastasius best.

8. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Same here.
    Same here. Very chunky!

9. Brian Bucklan

Yep. The only one that went directly to my collection.

10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Nice coin mix! Those two big provincial are especially cool! I posted my big provincial quite a bit recently, so here is an "E" pentanummium with the more standard mark to the right.

Capture.JPG

JUSTINIAN I, 527-565, Pentanummium, Theoupolis (Antioch)

Obv: D N IVSTINIANVS P P AVG. DIademed, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev: Large E with central cross; star to right. Sear 244. 16 mm 2.4 g

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice haul! I like the Gordie and Balbinus best.

12. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

I was bummed I missed it this year, so when I went shopping today with my fiancé I stopped into a local coin store that I had never visited before. I asked the normal do you have any ancients? They produced a binder with mostly mis attributed coins but yes ancient, This caught my attention right away, they said Roman coin but I knew it was more than likely Islamic. This portrait made me smile right away and I bought this worn bargain. za3.jpg

13. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Nice haul Brian.... I'm pretty sure the Seleukid is Demetrios II based on the date of 171.

14. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Geez Brian making me jealous with all these rare Seleucid bronzes. How many do I have to buy from you :p
    Antiochus VII
    Quasi municipal Seleukeia in Pieria
    Year 174 139/8 BC
    Antiochus VII right
    ZEUS enthroned holding Nike and scepter
    Date below
    SC 2074
    Rated R2 - 2 to 10 examples known

Once my Seleucid identification site is up, it will be a breeze to find out this info.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Ajax likes this.
  15. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Ohh it's a delta not an A... my bad.

David@PCC likes this.
  16. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Very impressive you know your dates! Actually that date is also know to the first reign of Demetrios II. He was captured in 138 after reclaiming Seleukeia.

Ajax likes this.
  17. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

18. Brian Bucklan

Quick question: I know the Greek system of dating is based on the following:
    Greek Coin Dating Chart.jpg
    The Seleucid coin I showed has a three letter date of ΔOP (shown below the seated figure) which equated to Δ=4 + O=70 + P=100 for a total of 174. Using this number it appears that the Seleucid dating system started in 313BC, so when you add -313 (year 0) + 174 (date on this coin) you get 139BC.

I know that the coins from Ascalon use the same Greek dating system as above but their year 0 was 104BC so the same "174" date would equate to -104 + 174 = 70AD + 1 (for year 0 adjustment) gives you 71AD.

Is this correct? And if so, is this dating system used on other Greek issues using a different year 0?

19. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Yes that is how the Seleucid era is calculated. This coin uses the Aradian ΔΞP (164) date 96/95 BC.
    g070.jpg

Bing, Johndakerftw and Brian Bucklan like this.
  20. Brian Bucklan

Thanks. It appears the Aradian year zero is 260BC. One thing about ancients, you are always learning something new.

Draft saved Draft deleted