FUN Show Experience Two Months After The Fact

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by green18, Mar 14, 2019.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Hey guys.......been awhile since I've been seen here, except for bush wacking a thread or two. The weather down here in central Florida has been nothing but grand. Warm sunny days abound. I think we've had only two or three rainy days since I've been here (early January).........sorry to all the folks back home experiencing snow and such.

I started out my sojourn south in early January and planned to arrive by Thursday (Jan. 10) or at least by Friday (11) but I didn't get into town until late on Friday, so Saturday had to suffice for my visit.

Saturday dawned warm and sunny and I got to the show at around 11:30. The first thing I did was to check out the major TPG services for sample slabs. ICG had nada. ANACs had nada. NGC (you guessed it) had nada. PCGS? Yuppers........those guys always come through for me. One for myself and two extra for some friends back home. Those guys are always friendly and accommodating.

After that, I walked the floor for awhile, looking for classic commems, but most were over-priced, so I passed on a lot of material. One guy (dealer) had a Grant in MS 62 that he had cracked out of an NGC holder hoping for an upgrade at PCGS. The original NGC grade was 63. Way overpriced and you want me to pay for your mistake in crossing?

More ambling about, hob-knobing and such, and I found this fellow selling Philippine coins ........a bit off course from my commems, but the issue has always interested me, and I've never encountered a dealer who had such an abundance of stock. I sat down at the table with him and had a wonderful chat. I wound up buying a few things...

DSC_8101.JPG DSC_8102.JPG DSC_8103.JPG DSC_8104.JPG DSC_8107.JPG DSC_8108.JPG

More to follow.......

robec, longshot, dwhiz and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

4. green18

5. green18

More later.......gots KP duty.......:)

6. BrianS

BrianS Active Member

I found these intriguing, and assumed they were minted in the US. So I did a little reading up on them. Found out they were minted in San Francisco, and thought maybe they used the half dollar blanks. But the Barber half was 30.6mm dia. weighed 12.5g and 0.900 silver. Whereas the Filipinas was 35mm dia. weighed 20g and was 0.800 silver.

When I'm at the NWCC show this weekend I'll have to keep an eye out for one.

dadams likes this.
  7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I include 1 in my us dollar type set.

8. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I have several. I've tried to get mine for about $8 - $10, but sometimes they go a lot higher.

9. green18

Last of the Philippines.........

DSC_8121.JPG DSC_8122.JPG
    DSC_8105.JPG
    DSC_8106.JPG

robec, dwhiz, Hookman and 4 others like this.
  10. green18

I did manage a few classic commems.....

DSC_8123.JPG DSC_8124.JPG DSC_8125.JPG DSC_8126.JPG

More later on some of the exhibits I visited.

robec, Hookman, dadams and 3 others like this.
  11. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Nice thread and pickups.

green18 likes this.
  12. green18

DSC_7913.JPG DSC_7914.JPG Exhibits photogs..........

FUN Memorabilia........

robec, dwhiz, dadams and 1 other person like this.
  13. green18

14. green18

More to follow.......time to eat. :)

15. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Glad you found some Commems because you were more than a little off course with the Pesos. ;)

green18 likes this.
  16. green18

Hobo's are an interest of mine.......

DSC_7936.JPG DSC_7937.JPG DSC_7938.JPG DSC_7939.JPG DSC_7949.JPG DSC_7950.JPG DSC_7951.JPG DSC_7952.JPG

ddddd and robec like this.
  17. green18

18. green18

DSC_7965.JPG DSC_7966.JPG DSC_7967.JPG DSC_7968.JPG DSC_7972.JPG DSC_7969.JPG DSC_7973.JPG DSC_7974.JPG Banknotes........I love the artistry and originality.

19. green18

20. green18

Closer to my home State of New York.......

DSC_8024.JPG DSC_8025.JPG DSC_8026.JPG DSC_8027.JPG DSC_8028.JPG DSC_8031.JPG DSC_8038.JPG DSC_8040.JPG

21. green18

The last two intrigue me, as Patchogue and Ronkonkoma were but scrub pine barrens back at this time. Hard to believe there was a bank out on the east end issuing notes.......:) DSC_8042.JPG DSC_8043.JPG DSC_8065.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted