FUN Purchases

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Milesofwho, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

I went to the Summer FUN show again. For ancients, there really wasn’t much to show physically. I met three forum members in person though! That was something. @Theodosius even gave me a bunch of ancients! D863C342-1C93-4D9E-A6AE-AD9BE5B7809C.jpeg The highlights include a coin of the Thessalian League, a very nice deified Constantine, and of course the Byzantine.
    I did purchase one medieval coin, even though this coin can in many ways be considered the end of it. 3A5F40DD-28DE-49FE-B93C-8FD67C713E69.jpeg 8EB0BBF0-68DB-41A1-8D2F-2B9D332930D7.jpeg It is a groat of Henry VII, made from 1505-1509. With the launch of this coin, England went from a traditional stylized front facing portrait to a realistic profile portrait, following the lead of some Italian states such as Naples, which did so in the 1460s. I particularly like how the wear makes this portrait look almost like a silhouette. I was very happy to find this, as I find it is logically much harder to get profile Henry VII groats than those of his son, Henry VIII. The rest of my purchases can be found here.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

That group looks like fun! It's always nice meeting other CT folk. And congrats on your great new Henry VII!!

Milesofwho likes this.
  4. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

And great photography!

Milesofwho and Justin Lee like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice group. I want a Henry vii portrait coin eventually.

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I think that profile bust of Henry VII was the first departure from the stylized, interchangeable, almost cartoonish king portraits from the medieval era. That right there is the Renaissance coming to roost.

I could be wrong, but that could be the first realistic portrait on an English coin since Roman times.

1827jim and Theodosius like this.
  7. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Nice groat! Who did you buy that from?

It was great meeting you in person.

:)

John

Milesofwho likes this.
  8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice haul of coins there!

Milesofwho likes this.