Fun low end lot arrived today

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very nice capture! Lots there to like.

Welcome! Hopefully you'll stick around!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Congratulations on a nice haul! Those coins will provide you with much inspiration - and fun!

Clavdivs likes this.
  4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Should probably contribute a coin...

[​IMG]
    Nero AD 54-68
    Ae as, 28mm, 8.2g, 6h; Rome mint
    Obv.: IMP NERO CAESAR AVG P MAX TR P P P with small globe at point of bust
    Rev.: Victory flying left, holding shield inscribed SPQR

Ajax, Alegandron, Clavdivs and 4 others like this.
  5. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Well Orielensis - that was a very, very helpful first post!
    I had spent a couple of hours tonight trying to attribute that coin - and it certainly looks like you are correct. THANK YOU!

I only see one on VCoins.. going for $115.00

AEOLIS, Grynion. Circa 3rd Century BC. Æ 16mm (3.42 gm). Three-quarter
    facing head of Apollo, turned slightly left, wearing laurel wreath /
    upload_2018-7-19_23-3-18.png , mussel shell. BMC 1

Looks better in hand.. my photo set up isn't great..

Grynion.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  6. RomanGreekCoin3

RomanGreekCoin3 Active Member

you spend over 100 bucks on that? Can I borrow 50 bucks? LOL

7. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

No - my lot of 18 coins was $101 total - including shipping.
    But that small Greek coin in the lot seems to be fairly rare and is selling on VCoins for $115.. so that is nice to know.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Curtisimo, TIF and Justin Lee like this.
  8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

9. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

I’m glad you found my post helpful, Clavdivs. And thanks to everyone for the nice and welcoming words!

To complement your coin, I am posting my specimens of the two other types from Gryneion:

IMG_7057.jpg

IMG_7060.jpg
    The coins on the left and in the middle are the most common type with Apollo facing on the obverse and a mussel shell with the legend GURNH or similar on the reverse (BMC 3–5, SNG Copenhagen 206–6; SNG von Aulock 1619). It would be possible to distinguish several varieties based on the size and shape of the shell and the position (or existence) of the letters. Yet, I don’t think that this is normally done, and also wonder whether it would be useful at all. The coin on the right is the third type, showing on the obverse the head of Apollo right on the obverse, and on the reverse a mussel shell and a club below (not in BMC, SNG Copenhagen 207, SNG von Aulock 1620). Together with Clavdivs’ coin, this is, as far as I know, a complete set of all known coin types from Gryneion!

All of these often survive in a rather battered condition, which might partly be due to the facing portrait being particularly susceptible to wear. Yet, they are among the Greek bronzes that I particularly love due to their historical background, literary significance, and the open questions they raise. Below is a little write-up for those who might be interested:

Gryneion, a port town in Asia Minor located about 20 miles from Pergamon, is mentioned in Herodotus Histories (1.149.1) as one of the twelve great cities of Aeolis. After the battle of Salamis in 480 BC, the Persian king Xerxes gave Gryneion to an ally, the Greek aristocrat Gongylos of Eretria. Gongylos’ heirs might have still held the town in the late 5th c. BC, yet Gryneion was at that time also a tribute-paying member of the anti-Persian Delian League – the political situation in Aeolis was muddled and apparently resulted in some degree of autonomy for the city, as is indicated by the epicraphic use of the word polis for Gryneion. In 336/5 BC, in the context of the unsuccessful Macedonian invasion of Asia Minor, Parmenion sacked the he town and sold its inhabitants into slavery. Gryneion was rebuilt afterwards, and in the Hellenistic period belonged to the territory of the Pergamene Attalids. It was politically merged with the neighboring Myrina before the region was annexed by Rome in 129 BC. (On this note, it is interesting that Clavdivs also has a coin of Myrina in his lot: the one next to the Gryneian coin, showing the head of Apollo and an amphora with a lyra to the right, is from Myrina, BMC 27–31, SNG Copenhagen 225, SNG von Aulock 1666.)

The Gryneian coins are tentatively dated to the 4th or 3rd century BC, and to my knowledge it is not fully clear whether they were minted before or after the Macedonian invasion. In any case, they visually refer to two important factors of the city’s economy and culture. First, the fishing port of Gryneion was famous for its mussels, depicted on the reverse. In fact, its mussel banks are even mentioned by Pliny the Elder in his Natural History (lib. 32, cap. 21).

Secondly, there was a sanctuary of Apollo and oracle at Gryneion, which arguably served as the cultic center of Aeolis. The head Apollo on the obverse of all coins almost certainly is a reference to this religious site and its deity, which features prominently in a key passage of Vergil’s Aeneid. When Aeneas decides to leave Dido and go to Italy, he declares in his farewell speech: sed nunc Italiam magnam Gryneus Apollo, Italiam Lyciae iussere capessere sortes; hic amor, haec patria est! (“But now Grynean Apollo, the oracle of Lycia, bids me to seek Italy, great Italy; there is my love, there is my nation!”). So, if you always wanted to see a coin depicting the deity of the prophetic seat which according to Vergil caused the founding of Rome and triggered the Punic Wars, here are some!

There are some additional things I like about these coins: Gryneion never minted any silver, and the question is why. An educated guess I read about recently is that the Gryneians did a bit of outsourcing and used the silver coinage of bigger neighboring cities while only producing small copper change for local use themselves. Secondly, it’s not fully clear whether the three coin types were minted at different times or are different denominations. I suspect the latter due to their weight, but that is just me guessing. Finally, careful readers of Greek legends will notice that the coins give the name of the city as “Gyrneion” although it is always referred to as “Gryneion” in modern literature – this is a wonderful instance of a linguistic phenomenon called metathesis which causes sounds in a word to change place over time, so that the word might be pronounced more easily. Likely the city’s name was Gyrneion when the coins were minted, but had slowly morphed into Gryneion (or, in Latin, Grynium) by the time of Pliny the Elder. Fascinating, isn’t it?!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Curtisimo, Johndakerftw, Bing and 5 others like this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wow, that is far more than I knew about Gryneion-- thanks! Great explanation for the shift in spelling of the city. I love the smaller denomination with head of Apollo right and don't think I've seen one before. The Apollo facing/mussel type caught my eye here on CoinTalk and a few years ago I found an nice one at a good price languishing in some dealer's tray. I have no idea why someone hadn't already bought it :) The surfaces are rough but for the type it is very well preserved.

[​IMG]
    AEOLIS, Grynion (alt. spellings: Gryneion, Gyrnion, Grynium, others)
    4th century BC
    Æ 17 mm, 3.7 gm
    Obi: laureate head of Apollo facing slightly left
    Rev: ΓΥΡΝΗΙΩΝ; mussel shell
    Ref: SNG Ashmolean 1445-6; SNG Copenhagen 202-4

Curtisimo, Johndakerftw, Bing and 4 others like this.
  11. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

cooked mussels , yammy yummy

Aeolis - Lesbos - Apollo facing mussel 2.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted