FUN in Orlando

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by thejaxcollector, Dec 29, 2012.

1. thejaxcollector

thejaxcollector Active Member

I'm going to the FUN show in Orlando on January 12th. I'm in the market for certified Morgans. Should I take a combination of cash and trading silver (eg proof 2012 ASEs and extra Morgans) for working deals? Also, given the number of dealers, I don't see how I'm going to get to every Morgan dealer. Any ideas on the most efficient way to cover as many booths as possible? Should I narrow my search to some maximum number of coins? Any guidance would be appreciated.:confused:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

If it were me, I'd decide on a budget before going. I suggest you sell your silver locally to raise cash to meet that budget. This has the advantage of focusing your mind on what you can afford while also saving you time when you do arrive at FUN by simplifying your mission and making transactions uncomplicated. Additionally, I would then determine what dates and condition level I wanted and do some research as to a purchase range for each coin targeted.

Once this preparation is done, you're ready for the bourse. You are correct that there will be hundreds of dealers there who will have Morgans for sale. What I like to do is start from the left and go up and down each side of each row to first quickly scan inventory, taking note of which dealers I want to return to. This probably would take you a couple of hours. Since you'll be there on a Saturday, several dealers will have already departed, and several more will leave that afternoon. Of course, since nearly everyone sells Morgans, you might want to just dive in right away and not worry about trying to see it all unless you are seeking something unusual in a Morgan dollar (key date, special toning, etc.).

You're going to have a blast! FUN is a tremendous show.

4. thejaxcollector

thejaxcollector Active Member

Your tips are just what I was looking for, and all sound like great ideas! I'll have about 5 hours to play, so my plan will be to at least glance at each booth and take good notes on the fly. I think there is a vendor map online, so I will preplan my route. Thanks for your help.:)

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It is indeed. I attended last year and it was an exciting experience. I had planned on attending this year but I don't think the plan is going to come together. Enjoy yourself (OP) you lucky dog.........:)

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm lucky this year and have three full days to wonder around the show. My plan is to carry as little as possible with me. Can't hardly wait.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You were there, and I didn't even know it. I would have enjoyed getting together no matter how brief it may have been. Maybe some other year.

Chris

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Looking forward to it, Chris. :)

9. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

Larry - I think you're absolutely right to "wonder" around vs. "wander" around! That is what a large show will do to ya! ;)

10. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I plan to be there for the entire show.(Arrive Wednesday evening, leave Monday morning.) I'm staying at the Rosen Plaza across from the convention facility. Does anyone want to get together at the show? We would need a time and place.

11. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I am staying over at the Rosen Centre, across the street. I shall be at the show for Friday and Saturday. :)

12. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

I'd be "wandering" around "wondering" why I didn't bring more money....:D

13. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

I have 9 lots on consignment there this year...lol
    All Small Size Notes but hey.. what a great show... go if you can.

14. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Cash is and always be king at a coin show. Trades are just another variable that a dealer is likely to outsmart you at. If you want to buy and sell coins, I've had much better success unlinking the transactions (and shopping around the sell-side) rather than trying to pull off a trade.

If you are looking for certified Morgans, FUN certainly is the right place and there will likely be more than you could ever hope to see in one day there.

IMO, of course. :)

15. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

Cash is definitely king as mentioned. I am ready for the show, I will be at table 933 for the duration.

16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm looking forward to seeing both you and Charmy again, Todd.

Chris

17. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

RickieB;

I"m looking for some specific National Bank Notes, primarily Batavia and Peoria Illinois, and a 1928 $1000 note as well. The charter number is not as important as the condition. PM me your lot numbers, regardless, and I'll take a look. I could also use a large size National Bank Note for Batavia. I have a large for Peoria already. Are you going to attend?

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I will be there as well, but only on Saturday. Anybody that wants to meet up and say Howdy, I'm easy to recognize - just look at my profile pic. That black hat, big dark glasses, and white hair are pretty easy to see ;)

Or if anybody wants, just send me a PM and I'll give my cell phone number so you can always find me.

19. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I've attended Summer FUN in Orlando for the past two years, combining it with our annual vacation trip to the U.S.
    My wife visited EPCOT, Harry Potter and whatever else for a couple of days, while I got to look at coins to my hearts content, including attending a Heritage auction. I found it very interesting, specially being able to look at lots of early coppers at some of the EAC dealers present. I understand that Winter FUN has an even larger dealer attendance (?), so this show is certainly recommendable.

20. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

I've been to FUN twice and wish I could afford to go again. There is really nothing like it to be awash in thousands of different coins on the bourse, attending club meetings, viewing lots and live bidding at Heritage, seeing friends, and bringing home a few carefully selected new pieces. For those who've never attended, you really need to put it on your numismatic "bucket" list. Here's a shot of HALF of the bourse floor from 2009:

[​IMG]

21. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

Catbert, that is amazing!

Draft saved Draft deleted