Fun find at work

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by bstod, Apr 28, 2015.

1. bstod

bstod Member

This morning I was opening up the coffee shop that I work at. Of course I look through all of the coins when I get there and before I leave. Today something struck me as unusual and I found myself a 1964-D Washington. Pretty relieving finding this coin because it was my first silver find in almost a year at this shop! Thought I'd share some pictures - very happy.

Thanks,
    Ben

Attached Files:

paddyman98, MKent, dwhiz and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks like it might have been a "Social Security" coin. You know, an elderly person ran out of cash until the 3rd of the month.

Chris

Endeavor likes this.
  4. bstod

bstod Member

By "Social Security" coin, what exactly does that mean?

5. cpm9ball

There are lots of elderly folks on fixed incomes, and as hard as they try, they cannot make those funds last for the entire month. Quite often, they raid their small stash of silver just to get a cup of coffee.

Chris

Endeavor, tommyc03 and bstod like this.
  6. theshoegazer

theshoegazer Well-Known Member

Makes sense. I found a LOT more silver halves in December & January (high heating bills, holiday expenses) than I have from February through present.

bstod, Endeavor and tommyc03 like this.
  7. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I would never spend a silver quarter on coffee :woot:

8. cpm9ball

Never say never!

Chris

Hope1275, Hommer and Endeavor like this.
  9. bstod

bstod Member

Never thought about that! Looking forward to holiday season even more now. I have never coin roll hunted quarters but finding silver is addicting so I went and bought 5 rolls.... nothing but some States that I needed for a set.

10. Endeavor

When I got a '63-D in change last year I remember being in shock also. If you'd never read or been told that Washington quarters were minted before 1965, you would never know going by what's in circulation. That's pretty amazing when you consider they started minting 33 years prior to that.

Same thing happened to me. I got bit by the silver bug and started buying rolls.

bstod likes this.
  11. cpm9ball

Face it! You guys just overslept. In a 3-year period from 2004-2007, I accumulated 12 rolls of Kennedy half dollars while searching $500 boxes.......8 - 40% & 4 - 90% silver.

Chris

12. bstod

bstod Member

I wish I had the funds to hunt halfs, 18 year old college students need all they can get. I never drop more than 50 dollars on searching, most of that is cashed in at another bank and recycled towards my next batch of rolls.

13. Endeavor

It took 3 years to only get 12 rolls of circulated halves? Glad I "slept" on that one, lol.

14. cpm9ball

12 rolls cost me $120 and I sold them for about $2,000 when silver was over $40.

Chris

bstod likes this.
  15. Endeavor

Face it! It cost more than $120. Gas (unless you were lugging those boxes to the bank in a wheel barrel) and time. I'm sure many hours over the 3 years. Probably less than minimum wage rate when dividing hours into final profit.

Face it!!! You were sleeping when calculating the returns before you started.

16. cpm9ball

Oops! You forgot to allow for wind shear and animal crossings. Go back to sleep and dream up another nightmare.

Chris

17. Endeavor

Truuueee... Wind shear and animal crossings. I forgot to remind you about those. You were the one that said it was only $120 so you forgot to factor those two also. It's cause you're sleeping!! Wake up!! Face it you're sleeping!!

18. BostonMike

BostonMike Senior Member

Just last month, I got a 1909-O barber quarter and a 1944 Washington in change...3 days apart.

I hate to say it but the tough economy has made it seem easier to find older coins back in circulation. People are digging into those cookie jars that have been on grandma's shelf for decades.

Endeavor likes this.
  19. hippieman556

hippieman556 Member

what a great find

bstod and Endeavor like this.
  20. bstod

bstod Member

Such a nice surprise finding collectables in change.

Endeavor likes this.
  21. bstod

bstod Member

Any help with what the grade might be?

Draft saved Draft deleted