Fun Final Five Buys of 2021

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Dec 14, 2021.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

My last two purchases came in the mail today and I managed to round out a few more for a "Final Five". All of them are budget coins but some of them I think I did pretty well on. Let me know what you think!

These 2 were sold in a lot as "Roman Coins Late Empire". I could tell that they weren't. Unfortunately, so could a few other people. I ended up paying $32 for the pair, so $16 per coin. I don't think that was terribly bad all things considered.

Hadrian, Alexandria, Tetradrachm, Serapis & Cerberus Year 12.png
    Hadrian
    EGYPT, Alexandria
    127/128 AD (Yr12)
    Billon Tetradrachm Obverse:Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind
    Reverse: Sarapis enthroned left, holding sceptre, Cerberus at his feet left
    24mm/12.58g

Maximinus II, Follis, GENIO CAESARIS, ALE.png
    Maximinus II
    Follis
    308- 310 AD
    Obverse: GAL VAL MAXIMINVS NOB CAES; laureate head right.
    Reverse: GENIO CAESARIS; Genius standing left, modius on head, naked except for chlamys over left shoulder, holding patera from which liquid flows & cornucopiae; K in left, A over P in right.
    In ex. ALE

Number 3 was a type that I've wanted for awhile. Something with a big serpent on it. This provincial Septimius Severus fit the bill. And for $10.50, I couldn't say "no". I had a bit of a tough time attributing it since it seemed to be an obverse die match for one coin (Varbanov 4803) but a reverse match for another (Ruzicka 397). I finally managed to find a match on acsearch from a Roma Numismatics sale back in 2017. I believe this to be Varbanov 8404 var.
    Septimius Severus, AE30, Pautalia Thrace, Serpent.png
    Septimius Severus
    Æ30
    Pautalia, Thrace
    193-211 AD
    Obverse: AVT Λ CEΠTI CEVHPOC ΠEP, laureate head right
    Reverse: OVΛΠIAC ΠAVTAΛIAC, Agathodaimon serpent, with forked tail to left and head radiate and erect to right

That brings me to the last two, and one of the ones I'm most proud of for the year. These two were listed as "Lot of 2 Small Roman Bronze Coins". I started out by noticing the camp gate reverses which I like but I realized that one of them wasn't a normal looking camp gate. A bit of sleuthing discovered that the reverse was used by only 2 people: Magnus Maximus and his son, Flavius Victor. The obverse legend is a bit hard to read but if you know what you are looking for, you can make out DN FL V(IC)-TOR PF AVG. That coupled with the young portrait, lead me to it belonging to the young, though not sure how young Flavius Victor. You can read @savitale 's great post about Flavius Victor here.

Flavius Victor, AE4, SPES RO-MA-NORVM, SMAQS.png
    Flavius Victor
    AE4
    Aquileia
    387-388 AD
    Obverse: DN FL VIC-TOR PF AVG, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: SPES RO-MA-NORVM, campgate, six layers, two beacons, star above, no doors. Mintmark SMAQS

The other coin was easily identifiable as Valentinian II. It has a pretty good portrait and the camp gate isn't bad either. Unfortunately, I had a hard time taking a picture of such a small coin.

Valentinian II, AE4, GLORIA REIPVBLICAE, TES.png
    Valentinian II
    AE12
    Obverse: DN VALENTINIANVS PF AVG, diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: GLORIA REIPVBLICAE, campgate with two turrets; A in left field
    Mintmark TES

I thought I was going to get these for a steal at the 0.99c opening bid but at the last bit before auction ended, I got bid up a bit. I still only paid $14.50 for the two coins which I consider a win.

Thanks for looking! The tadpoles and I have had a great year collecting and sharing with you all. We are still working on some uncleaned coins and attributing some others but these are the last purchases for the year. Now it's time to work on a "Top 10"!

Nvb, Valentinian, cmezner and 27 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Always a treat when coins arrive at the door/ esp. this time of year.
    I had a book come today/ coins of the "Ionian Islands" minus Crete/ Cyprus.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  4. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

I really like that Hadrian tet!

furryfrog02 likes this.
  5. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice December purchases, @furryfrog02. :)

I like your Hadrian Alexandria coin. Your big serpent coin is another of my favorite.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  6. furryfrog02

The Hadrian is nice and chunky. I only have one other earlier Egyptian tetradrachm, a rough A. Pius. Not nearly as chunky or nice.

7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Great Hadrian, and who would disregard a Flavius Victor ?

Q

furryfrog02 and panzerman like this.
  8. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Just a heads up about checking those blue-ish spots on this coin. They look to be bronze disease from the photos.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    furryfrog02 likes this.
  9. furryfrog02

I checked when it came in. Tried dislodging with a toothpick but they didn't move. I will keep an eye on it though. Thanks.

You think a distilled water bath would hurt?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  10. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

f.f., I like both of the Roman-Egyptian coins, & for $32 that was a steal :smuggrin:. The Hadrian Tet looks like it has more silver than usually seen in his coins ;). I have only one Hadrian Tet that shows only a faint trace of silver.
    NGC 2420229-011, A. Kowsky Collection.jpg
    In regards to the Alexandrian nummus, if you haven't tried this already, try scratching the green deposits with a wooden toothpick. If nothing comes off, I wouldn't do anything else. I did the toothpick routine on a Justinian I bronze I got this year, & nothing came off :). The coin will stay as is :p.
    CNG 490, Lot 339_2, $460, AK.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted