Fun day at a local show

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by johnmilton, Oct 4, 2026 at 11:56 AM.

  1. johnmilton

    johnmilton Well-Known Member

    I went to a local show yesterday, October 3. I went for an outing, and I also wanted to scope out how it was to get to the place because I'm scheduled to speak to the local club which meets there this month.

    There is a perpetual road construction site which ties up the Interstate highway junction point, between two routes, about six miles from the show. It was there in June of 2024 when I attended the show for the first time and it’s still there now, with no end in sight, 16 months later. I saw six guys wearing hard hats, standing around, doing nothing, talking to each other, which is systematic of road constuction work in Florida. But enough grousing about my frustrations.

    I attend these shows not expecting to find very much unless I’m looking for some fairly common material. I was surprised to find that one dealer had a 1796 half dollar. It only graded Good-4, but finding one at any show is quite unusual.

    I finally bought five very common late date Lincoln cents. Three of them finished off Album Two of a Library of Coins set, which ends with the 1974 coins. For those who don’t what the Library of Coins albums were, they were very popular from the late 1950s to the ‘70s. The other two were a 2025-P and 2025-D. The whole thing came to $12, retail.

    The collector in me had fun pushing the cents into the last three holes of the album. The desire to complete something is one of the hallmarks of a collector, regardless of his or her level. The two 2025 cents represented the last of their kind, Lincoln cents which were made for circulation.

    All in all, it was a fun day, except dealing with the traffic around the perpetual construction site.

    Here is the cover to the Library of Coins album.

    Lincoln Part 2.jpg
     
  2. Avatar

    Guest User Guest



    to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

    -jeffB Greshams LEO Moderator

    I'm picturing you (or anyone) talking to the dealer while finishing up the transaction.

    Dealer: Okay, that'll be $12. Sure there isn't anything else you're looking for?

    You: Well, that 1796 half across the way did catch my eye, I rarely see those at shows! But I'd be looking for something higher than G4.

    Dealer: (laughs) I know, right?

    You: (pulls up photo) Yeah, it'd have to be better than my F15...
     
    AdamL and Randy Abercrombie like this.

Share This Page