FUN 2019 Questions

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Gilbert, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

I have never been to a FUN show and have a few questions for members who regularly attend.
    First, the FUN web site will have motel rooms in the area at a special "show rate." Would it be advisable, cost wise, to search for less expensive accommodations further out?
    Second, my wife is not interested in coins one bit. Keeping that in mind, is there anything at the show that might interest her? Or should I just tell her to check out the local attractions?

ma-shops likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

There are some events for the less than numismatically involved. What kind of hotel do you want/need? If your needs are not luxurious, you can do better with any of the travel sites. If you need posh accommodations, the official hotels offer pretty good deals. I usually go with the Choice that just east of the southern end of the convention center. A place to rest my bones.

ma-shops and Gilbert like this.
  4. Gilbert

Thanks, Kurt.

5. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Most hotels attached to the show give
    "special " rates. I usually call said hotel
    and I get a better rate thru AARP, AAA
    or some others. The mid grade hotels
    such as Days Inn might be cheaper but
    figure in parking cost if any and if you have
    issues walking in from the lot due to health
    concerns then the convention hotel will
    be your best bet.

Gilbert likes this.
  6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

There are literally too many choices for lodging. Decide first what your needs are.

Will there be just 2 of you, or will you bring or meet family / friends there?

What will your wife want to do while you're at the show? Go to theme parks with others, go shopping at the outlets, wrestle an alligator?

Will you rent a car or will you need to use public transportation or hotel shuttles?

Once you've determined those things, then it will be easier to figure out if you want to be in a rented timeshare, a rented house, a nice hotel room, or a budget motel room.

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Like others have said, in Orlando the FUN show is not even a big thing. Tons of options for lodging.

When I went I would just go to the show myself since my wife also has no interest. However, there are vendors selling jewelry in the show as well, so if you are willing to bear the expense its a way to get her to go with you.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

There's a trolley that runs up and down International Dr. so there is no need to 'camp out' close to the convention. I'm pretty sure Seniors ride for free, but I don't know if that includes you, Gilbert. :)

Gilbert likes this.
  9. Gilbert

Maybe free for resident Florida seniors, which we are not. But the trolley information is good to know. Thanks!

green18 likes this.
  10. Gilbert

And thanks to everyone for the information!

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I always stay at the Rosen Centre when the show is in Orlando. It's right next to the west hall where the show is. I fly in and take a taxi. No need for a car or the worry of parking. I won't eat the food at the show. I walk back to the hotel and have a nice lunch and a couple of drinks and research coins I took notes on, back in my room. I make mistakes when I don't take the time to research.

My lady won't come because there is little for her to do that would keep her busy. She loves just getting rid of me for a few days.

Gilbert likes this.
  12. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

My wife could care less about coins, but she does like jewelry. Several years ago, she discovered that coin dealers often buy jewelry for the bullion value. Since then, she has gotten some incredible bargains on jewelry. At one show, ANA in Rosemont I think, she told me she wanted to buy a coin bracelet that had 5 gold coins on it, some US and some foreign. When she brought it to me I saw that one of the gold quarter eagles had a counterstamp on it. She bought the bracelet, and I began to research the counterstamp. I eventually learned that the particular counterstamp was unknown on gold pieces. I sold it for way more than I had in it, bought another couple of gold pieces for the bracelet, and she and I were both happy. If your wife likes jewelry, FUN will be a good place for her to look for it.

Gilbert likes this.
  13. V. Kurt Bellman

I can confirm both Rosens are very nice; one at each end of the convention hall.

Gilbert likes this.
  14. ma-shops

ma-shops Well-Known Member

:greedy: :)

15. ma-shops

ma-shops Well-Known Member

@Gilbert how about something like airBnB? Mostly real recommendations and fair prices. When I travel, it is a very nice option to travel. My experiences were always good...

Gilbert likes this.
  16. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

When I go, I always get a hotel that is attached to the convention center. The convenience is absolutely worth the price. If you get a room at a motel off-site, driving to the convention is a pain - and parking is ludicrous. The cost of parking will pay for an on-site hotel.

If she enjoys jewelry, as others have mentioned, there will be a few dealers who dabble in a bit of that. But really, its probably not enough to occupy a whole day. I don't know what your particular significant other enjoys, but there is a lot of stuff to do in Orlando.

17. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I wouldn't do AirBnB. That tourist that went missing in Costa Rica was found dead near the one she was staying in. Security guard there is the prime suspect.

Gilbert likes this.
  18. V. Kurt Bellman

Two words. "Costa" and "Rica". Like right next to where thousands want to WALK thousands of miles to get outta there. Sheesh!

"No, ma. We're Americans. It'll be totally safe." :rolleyes:o_O I wouldn't willingly travel to anywhere between San Antonio, TX and the Atacama Desert of Chile unless someone paid ME several thousands of dollars, AND let me take my arsenal.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Gilbert likes this.
  19. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Ohh but you're missing out on so much of life! :)

20. V. Kurt Bellman

Like expecting everyone I meet to be seeking to kill me? Yup, I am, and glad of it.

So you could ask, "How is that different from any night in Harrisburg", and you wouldn't be totally wrong.

21. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Each to his own but that would be debilitating to think like that. IMO

Draft saved Draft deleted