Fun 1927 Peace Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bradgator2, Nov 6, 2021.

1. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

After I completed my full Morgan set earlier this year, I decided to tackle Peace Dollars. I already had a handful of nice raw ones from years ago. I am on the last couple of coins, so the process is slowing down. I am very used to researching VAMs for the Morgans, so I decided to give it a shot last night with the Peace Dollars. Holy Cow it is a million times harder for the Peace Dollars. I basically gave up, although I did discover I had a “Top 50” VAM 2 1927 with lots of obverse doubling on the right side. Was fun to find:

F7D6AAD0-B307-4EC3-9BF7-3C448A68F3B7.jpeg
    6A63E7A0-3F16-4126-8A63-3CE7744433EE.jpeg
    8A765517-BB66-476E-8270-ACA4D4716BAE.jpeg
    10B6219C-C021-44F1-A53B-3B51D401E286.jpeg
    B72377CB-F0C1-4E9B-B8B4-0D6A310EDEF8.jpeg

Skyman, Mr.Q, TradingGreen and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

They're putting strike doubling in the Top 50 now?

4. bradgator2

No clue on how that list is made. I am very new to Peace Dollars, but there doesn’t appear to be as much “variety of anomalies” as there are on Morgans. It’s all basically die breaks, die gouges, a few nice clashes. Practically no doubling in the series, so maybe that is why.

5. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Look's good to me, it's definitely a keeper. Thanks for sharing.

bradgator2 likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I think the strike doubling was just used to establish the VAM...although I admit I don't know squat about VAM's

7. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Yabba Dana dooo. Lots a likes. Does the 2 count as dd ?

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Strike doubling doesn't repeat because it doesn't come from the die, it comes from a movement when the coin is struck, that's all it is. These are idiots who write these guides.

9. bradgator2

More than likely, those “idiots” are 100% correct, and I am the real idiot on trying to determine the VAM. Based on the comments, looks I mistook strike doubling for a doubled die. I have found the Vamworld website an incredible resource. Maybe @messydesk could comment?

10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Do you have a link to their "DDO?"

11. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The coin pictured above has machine doubling, not a doubled die. The 1927 VAM 2 DDO has doubling that's most easily seen on the designer's initials. Peace dollar doubled dies are usually very hard to see because the design is softer than the Morgan dollar The initials on the obverse and the olive branch on the reverse are the easiest places to pick it up.

Kentucky and bradgator2 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted