Full steps?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by maddurfee, Mar 20, 2018.

1. maddurfee

maddurfee Boy Wonder

Why wouldnt these receive full steps designation? TrueView_34716483_Large.jpg TrueView_34716478_Max.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Because they are not full steps.
    The bottom set in this image is full steps.
    [​IMG]
    Can you see the difference?

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Because they aren't full steps.

JCro57 likes this.
  5. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Question for the Jefferson folks...do coins like the one in the OP images have less than full steps due to strike, or due to die wear? In other words, if those coins were fully-struck, would they have full steps? I am not a Jefferson collector so am not sure. The first coin (1966) looks to have very mushy details in the middle of Monticello, more so than just a weak strike would suggest. The 1959 looks to have more detail, but I am just not sure how much is strike and how much is due to the dies.

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Are the steps on the sides part of the grading too and not just the main center steps?

7. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I believe they only look at the center steps.

Insider and JCro57 like this.
  8. Paddy54

Correct the center steps are what is being looked at.
    As far as the question on strike....one must look at nickel mintages.
    Remember the 5 cent coin is the work horse of our coinage.....look at 1964 alone mintages for both P & D mints were the highest. I've had 64 nickels where there was no porch...more less steps. Some dates due to the dies finding a full step nickel would be like having a winnig lottery ticket.
    A member here posted today about a 1939 FS nickel a 1939 FS nickel in 66 was valued at $1500. And a ms 67. Was $100.
    One will learn quickly when becoming a serous Nickel collector how prices are all over the map...
    Now a days the modern strikes are all full steps as so proof strikes thats why proofs are not given a full step recognition.
    What a lot of collectors don't know is the full story of the Jefferson nickel.
    As the nickel that won the design was never minted.....well not by the U.S. mint.
    I will post an image tomorrow.....but if this tweaks your interest google Felix Schlag and then you'll know the rest of the story......:woot:

gronnh20 likes this.
  9. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Both of those coins are showing die wear/fatigue. But, to your question, a lot of it depends on the year the nickel was struck. Not only does the mint try to get more out of their working dies, that also holds true to their master dies. There are years the master die was transferring mushy details because it was overused. Other years the mint tried to get more out of the working dies, so they open the gap up a small fraction between die faces. AKA, weak strike. Then those years the mint makes so many nickels they just abuse the dies until they look like a mushroom. Well, not that exaggerated but they overuse the dies. So, when they do that there are more coins with less than full details between new die changes.

To get full steps it needs to be a new die pair and the proper spacing between dies. Or hit that coin twice to bring out the details. Trying to complete a Jefferson set with all full step coins would be a very major undertaking. And take lots of money.

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. JayF

JayF Active Member

Insider likes this.
  11. Paddy54

DSCN4218.jpg DSCN4217.jpg DSCN4215.jpg DSCN4219.jpg DSCN4220.jpg The images used here are mine as all of the items in said images were or are part of my collection.

gronnh20 likes this.
  12. maddurfee

maddurfee Boy Wonder

Now thats awesome! Thanks for sharing those images. Thats really cool..

13. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I'll add that there can't be any "hits" across the steps.

Draft saved Draft deleted