Full Moon of Thunder

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

83B06F01-C3AF-4CFC-BF22-6C5D5C694773.jpeg

Tonight is a special full moon. The full Moon of Thunder takes its name from the fact that it appears in the month of the year when thunderstorms are most frequent in many regions. Clouds form during the day and disperse as thunderstorms in the evening. Flashes of heat could also appear at the same time as the full moon of thunder tonight. July's moon was dubbed the Thunder moon by the early Native Americans after the summer storms that took place around this time. So get your favorite couch and enjoy the show tonight. Now let's find a link with our favorite hobby. Jupiter was the Roman god of thunder and lightning, wasn't he ?

DBDAF4A1-BB39-4D66-B897-18DEA5B9F8EB.jpeg

He is often described holding a thunderbolt on statues but especially on coinage. So if you have coins (Greek or Roman) depicting thunderbolts, please share them with us on this special day, the full Moon of Thunder.

Gordian III

Jupiter holding Thunderbolt
    9429F461-8220-4B0F-A49C-317534629156.jpeg
    Gallienus
    Jupiter ready to strike with his Thunderbolt
    3F6D5055-EC0F-4868-9A00-79DF42556276.jpeg

TIF, singig, Alegandron and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

Eagle on Thunderbolt-both symbols of Zeus
    Athens New Style Tetradrachm c126/5 BC
    Obs : Athena Parthenos right in tri-form helmet
    16.65gm 32mm Thompson issue 39
    Thompson catalogue Obs 450 : Rev b (not in plates)
    Rev : ΑΘΕ ethnic
    Owl standing on overturned panathenaic amphora
    on which month mark Ε control ΗΡ below
    3 magistrates : EPIGENE SOSANDROS ELIODO
    LF symbol : Eagle on Thunderbolt
    All within a surrounding olive wreath
    [​IMG]

TIF, singig, Alegandron and 15 others like this.
  4. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

Fulminating Zeus...
    Athens AE2 Star & 2 Crescents Chalkous 87/6 BC
    Obv: Athena in Corinthian helmet
    Rev: Grounded fulminating Zeus advancing right about to hurl thunderbolt
    ΑΘΕ
    ethnic surrounding Zeus
    Symbol RF: Pontic Star & 2 Crescents
    AE2 (18mm) 9.05gm
    Kroll 97 Mithradatic war issue King Mithradates & Aristion as magistrates

[​IMG]

5. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Nice post...here’s my favorite thunderbolt reverse (with a bonus thunderbolt in the mintmark)

19CE8BA6-4DD6-4A9C-8471-A30189630FDA.jpeg
    Probus, Antoninianus (24 mm, 3.39 g), Rome, 282. Radiate and cuirassed bust of Probus to right./ Rev. Jupiter standing front, head to left, holding thunderbolt in his right hand and scepter in his left. RIC 175

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Probus with Mint Mark R Thunderbolt Z
    Probus R thunderbolt Z Rev.jpg

7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Fun post, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix ! Reminds me of this favorite from my youth!

Here's a roach depicting the god of thunder and his thunderbolt:

[​IMG]
    Gordian III, AD 238-244.
    Roman AR antoninianus, 3.62 g, 21.6 mm, 5 h.
    Rome mint, 2nd officina, 3rd emission, AD 241-243.
    Obv: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: IOVI STATORI, Jupiter standing facing, head right, holding scepter and thunderbolt.

8. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Huh, never heard of the full moon o' thunder - interesting. And so I learn something new everyday.

A couple of recent additions, Greek & Roman thunderbolts:

Ionia Metropolis - Ares & Thunderbolt Diogenes June 2020 (0).jpg Ionia, Metropolis Æ 15
    (c. 100-50 B.C.)
    Diogenes magistrate

Helmeted head of Ares right / ΔIOΓENHΣ, Winged thunderbolt; monogram above.
    SNG Copenhagen 904.
    (4.19 grams / 15 mm)

Antoninus Pius - Sest. Thunderbolt Lot May 2020 (0).jpg
    Antoninus Pius Æ Sestertius
    (c. 140-144 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

[ANTO]NINVS AVG PIVS P P TRP COS I[II], laureate head r. /[PROVI]DENTIAE DE[ORVM] S C, winged thunderbolt vertical.
    RIC III 618a; BMCRE 1267; Cohen 682.
    (20.07 grams / 30 mm)

9. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

Thanks for the timely thread, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix! I'll watch for the special moon this evening! I also appreciated the photo of Jupiter with the thunderbolt clenched in his hand, ready to hurl. It reminded me of my tessera with a thunderbolt on it.

Tessera.jpg

ASIA MINOR. Uncertain. Circa 2nd to 1st centuries BC. Tessera (Lead, 22x10 mm, 3.42 g). Thunderbolt between two stars.

10. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Hey @Roman Collector , I can hardly imagine you with makeup and your tongue sticking out...

Inspector43 likes this.
  11. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Antoninus Pius ae sestertius 142 A.D. Rv Thunderbolt. RIC 618 23.68 grms 27mm Photo by W. Hansen piuss16.png

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great Thread, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix ! Cool coins, great write-up and PICTURES! Great idea.

HERE IS THE THUNDERBOLT THAT STARTED THE CIVIL WAR THAT BROUGHT DOWN THE JULIO-CLAUDIAN DYNASTY.
    upload_2020-7-4_23-50-52.png
    Roman Empire
    Civil War Revolt of Vindex
    CE 68-69
    AR Denarius
    17mm 3.02g
    OBV: ROMA RESTITVTA (Rome Restored); Bust of Roma helmeted and draped on the right; the helmet is surmounted by a phoenix
    REV: IVPITER LIBERATOR (Jupiter liberator); Jupiter naked to the waist, seated on the left, holding a thunderbolt with his right hand and a scepter along the left.
    REF: RIC I 62 RSC 374-RARE
    EX: Holding History
    Comments: The mint was in Gaul includes a large number of denarii. These coins were struck between March and May 68. The location of the workshop is not certain. Several authors lean for Lyon or Vienne, but other workshops further north are still possible while excluding Germania which remained faithful to Nero.
    History: Caius Julius Vindex, proponent of Lyonnaise entered in rebellion against Néro in March 68. The legions of Germania remained faithful to the Emperor and Verginius Rufus defeated in May the Gallic troops. Before disappearing, Vindex had called on Galba who was in Spain.

13. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Okay, I hear the groaning: "Oh, great, another Constantine from gsimonel. What a surprise." But Jupiter is usually depicted holding Victory standing on a globe on the coins of Constantine and Licinius. That makes this thunderbolt unusual. So there.
    temp.jpg
    Thessalonica mint, A.D. 311-313
    RIC 47b
    Obv: CONSTANTINVS P F AVG
    Rev: IOVI CONSER-VATORI AVGG - Jupiter leaning on scepter and holding thunderbolt; eagle with wreath at feet
    •SM•TS• in exergue; E in right field
    22 mm, 4.7 g.

Draft saved Draft deleted