Full bell lines?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Rachel Perez, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Rachel Perez

Rachel Perez Just a very wishful thinker!

1962 Franklin half dollar. ..Full bell lines? IMG_20190918_130924478.jpg IMG_20190918_130957630.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

I can see a slight dent in the bottom bell lines, and some of the top ones are slightly worn off. In order to be FBL, a Franklin half would need to be in better condition.

Islander80-83, Hookman and PlanoSteve like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

PCGS - I don't think so.

NGC - Definitely not!

Chris

Islander80-83, Hookman and PlanoSteve like this.
  5. Rachel Perez

Rachel Perez Just a very wishful thinker!

Thank you.. was just curious.. No need for the exclamation point.. my goodness some folks are so dramatic. .lol

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The exclamation point was to emphasize the difference between PCGS & NGC. NGC requires that both sets of bell lines be full, but PCGS only requires that the bottom set be full.

Chris

PS. I'd be a terrible actor!

Rachel Perez, Hookman and Kentucky like this.
  7. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I saw the steps on a five cent piece (in another thread here) with the same kind of thing that were considered full steps. I must admit I don't understand the distinction between one not full versus being okay for steps to be missing yet still be considered full steps. Different coin and different standards I guess.

8. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Actually, different person.
    Some people know their stuff.
    Some do not.

9. Hookman

You ain't seen nuthin' yet !!

jk

10. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

No it's not. Too worn down.

Hookman likes this.
  11. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Not even close. Even for PCGS.

12. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

I wasn't representing that it was the same person. Broken lines are broken lines, on a bell or on steps. Either they are broken or they are not. Anyway, it shows the inconsistency of the process.

13. Hookman

Hi Prez, My post was a response to your post above " Different coin and different standards I guess. " meaning that it's not caused by " Different coin and different standards " but that it's actually caused by a different grader (different person ).

Not all coins at all TPGs are graded by the same person each time. Each different grader, at each different TPG could have/will have a different opinion at any given time on the same coin.
    I think we all agree on the "inconsistency of the process".
    I know I have seen numerous threads, comments and complaints on that very subject : " the inconsistency of the process " , here at Coin Talk !!
    Personally, I chalk it up to the human factor part of the grading equation, as in
    Actually, different person.

Good Luck with everything you do.

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

15. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. I'm just a bit baffled how two different folks can not see the same thing given the correct magnification. I was referring to FB lines on a Franklin constituting complete lines versus full steps on a Jefferson five cent piece. My amazement was how quickly one is determined over the other when both pieces the lines (or steps) were incomplete or not. This other post I am referring to was representing full steps when steps were clearly missing yet on the half dollar there was such instant declarations that this particular was not full bell lines. Don't know where we got crossed but again thanks for taking the time to respond.

Hookman likes this.
  16. Hookman

I agree about that inconsistency, but it's really just about one person's opinion versus another person's opinion.
    As I understand it, at least two graders look at every coin, and if they don't exactly agree, then the coin goes to a third grader who tries to reconcile the differences between the first two.
    There are other members here who know much more about the grading process than I do.

As for opinions of bell lines or full steps here on Coin Talk !! , remember, those are just opinions also.
    Some people like to study a coin for some time before they give an opinion. Others are so confident in their ability to "see the facts" that they give their opinion rather rapidly.
    Again, it's all opinions.
    That's why the Supreme Court has 9 judges. It's all just opinions.

My personal opinion is that those are not full bell lines on either the top or bottom.

17. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

That's the thing though. Opinions shouldn't really come into play when ample evidence as to a coin's state is presented. Hence my arrgivation with the slab versus non slab argument. It either is a particular grade or it is not. Opinions shouldn't be that varied when it comes to assessing value via an ample amount of evidence. If it's that wishy washy then perhaps NGC or PCGS or whomever need to run it past no less than a hundred different graders before assigning a value. Just sayin. Shouldn't have to relyon an opinion and opinions souldn't vary that much.

Draft saved Draft deleted