Full Bell Lines on Franklin Halves.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Insider, Jul 24, 2016.

?

Which "standard" do you favor for a FBL coin?

1. Both sets of bell lines.

17 vote(s)
    81.0%
  2. Just the bottom set.

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

One of our members posted this FACT:

cpm9ball said:
    Yes, there is a difference between the PCGS and NGC attributions. To get the "FBL" from PCGS requires only the bottom set to be intact. NGC is tougher, requiring both sets to be intact. Chris

I'm very interested in what members think about this situation? AFAIK, for the FBL designation in the past, both sets of lines were necessary on the bell and some Franklin "purists" even insisted that the wisp of hair on the obverse be distinct. While that would indicate a truly well struck Franklin, I could never understand what that had to do with the lines on the coin's reverse. I believe the "purists" have lost this battle.

When things seemed settled on just the strike on the reverse, PCGS decided to screw with this long held standard in order to be able to grade more FBL coins. What say you?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Endeavor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

At the.moment, I am a Franklin collector, and will be untill I pass or am satisfied with the completed set. Do I care what either NGC or PCGS think about the bell lines on my coins or anyone's for that matter? No, in fact, I only care about what I think about the bell lines on my coins. As of now, I have resisted the OCD tendencies to count them, but who knows, that may change, it has before.

Endeavor, dwhiz and CoinZone like this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I have heard that before, and the PCGS website does state the lower lines.

I'm fine with the lower line standard. That is almost always the one missing

Insider and dwhiz like this.
  5. Onofrio Bacigalupo

Onofrio Bacigalupo Well-Known Member

6. Insider

Here is something to consider. As a new collector, I had the same attitude. No one is going to influence what I collect/like/or the criteria I use to grade my coins. After all, it's my hobby. I still feel this way; however, I've matured :)oops::facepalm::hilarious::hilarious::yuck::yuck:) - no my thoughts on what I purchase and collect have matured. I've learned that what I think DOES make a difference when I buy or sell. So, if two sets of lines is one type of condition for FBL that's going to be what I want.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

A question for you, and you might actually know the answer - can you define "the past" for us ? I guess I want to ask 2 questions really: 1 - your comment seems to imply that at some point in the past that PCGS required both sets of bell lines to be clear, distinct, and unbroken. Is that correct, and if so when did PCGS change their requirement ?

I'm asking that particular question because for as long as I can remember the PCGS requirements have always been the same. I cannot recall there ever being a change. But if you can, I'd honestly like to know about it.

Second question, can you recall when, in what year, the TPGs first started using the special designations ? And not just for Frankies, but all of them ? Nobody I've ever asked has ever been able to answer that for me. As far as I can recall they have always used them. I can remember when they started with Rosies, but that's the only one.

8. sensehunter

sensehunter Member

Why not FBL on 1976 bicentennial ikes???? IKE lives matter too!!!

rp3989 and coinguy-matthew like this.
  9. Insider

question for you, and you might actually know the answer - can you define "the past" for us ? I guess I want to ask 2 questions really: 1 - your comment seems to imply that at some point in the past that PCGS required both sets of bell lines to be clear, distinct, and unbroken. Is that correct, yesand if so when did PCGS change their requirement ? sometime between the printing of their grading guide books.

I'm asking that particular question because for as long as I can remember the PCGS requirements have always been the same. I cannot recall there ever being a change. But if you can, I'd honestly like to know about it.

Second question, can you recall when, in what year, the TPGs first started using the special designations ? And not just for Frankies, but all of them ? Nobody I've ever asked has ever been able to answer that for me. As far as I can recall they have always used them. That's what I think. I know the step designations were changed during this period. I can remember when they started with Rosies, but that's the only one. I'll find out.

10. GDJMSP

I can't remember for certain of the top of my head but if memory serves NGC changed step designations from 6 to 5 in 2003, maybe even later. PCGS was always 5, best I can recall.

11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

For what it's worth: When I was purchasing Franklins, I would look for completeness in both sets of lines. I did look at both PCGS and NGC coins when making decisions about a purchase.

12. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I just love my proof accented hair Ikes with full bell lines!

longshot and Onofrio Bacigalupo like this.
  13. Onofrio Bacigalupo

Onofrio Bacigalupo Well-Known Member

Ike will forever be this country's best post World War II President. I like Ike!

14. Insider

In the early 1990's PCI added fractions of steps: 5 1/2, etc!
    ICG used FS, then 5S, and now has moved to 6S. I think all this is driven by the collectors who want the best + a little extra $$$ for the TPGS's.

There was a time when Semi-PL was used. It is gone now. Split Bands has also disappeared.

15. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

Everyone has their own standards, there's a Franklin collector in our club that if a bag mark crosses the bell lines he doesn't consider them full bell lines. Now that's really being strict.

I really believe the TPGs have lightened up on their standards. Try sending in a cracked opened green label PCGS and I'll bet it grades higher.

16. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Same as NGC:
    https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/549/

"The Full Bell Line designation is a designation that NGC applies when both the top and bottom bell lines are struck fully and without interruption. Less stringent guidelines are used by other services."

Here's one of my FBL Franklins from my last submission:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  17. Insider

No that is not being strict. That is the correct criteria for NOT FBL!

MitchBailey likes this.
  18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's like anything else, some will go higher some will go lower but most will come back exactly the same.

19. sensehunter

sensehunter Member

I have both and pcgs. traded Franklin's labeled FBL and FL and some are so chewed up on lower lines I cannot make heads nor tails of standards. The worst at best need refunds. Sad ebay buys I did just buying the label.
    For a perfect personal set only way is buy in hand. Lesson learned(again, for the umpteenth time).
    FBL should be as true as it says....FULL

20. GDJMSP

I think the first part of your comment is how the special designations came to be in the first place, back before the NGC and PCGS even existed. But once they did exist - after that, it was just a gimmick. And a meaningless gimmick at that.

Think about it. What is it, exactly, that the special designations are supposed to mean ? They are supposed to define the quality of strike of the coin in order to set apart exemplary coins - special coins - that are at the least well if not very well struck.

Quality of strike is one of the criteria that is supposed to be used, but is usually ignored by the TPGs, in grading. And there are 4 basic categories covering quality of strike - weak strike, average strike, good strike (sometimes referred to as well struck) and full strike. And if you read actual grading standards quality of strike is a limiting factor, but again it is usually ignored by the TPGs. For example, according to the standards a coin cannot be graded MS65 unless that coin is, at the least, well struck, meaning it can grade no higher than 64. Or, a coin cannot be graded MS67, (and in some cases 66), unless it is fully struck.

Then we have the special designations, a way to take an average coin and make it special, something more than it actually is. The coin may only grade 63, or 64, but if you slap a special designation on the slab - well, it becomes special. Not only increasing the desirability of the coin in the eyes of the public, but increasing its value as well.

But what do you actually have when you have a coin with one of the special designations ? We've got FS or Full Steps for Jeffs, FB or Full Bands for Mercs, FH or Full Head for SLQ's, and FBL or Full Bell Lines for Frankies - all of them among the most popular coins for collectors.

But here's the thing, a Jeff is labeled FS - but you can't even see the windows of Monticello. Or maybe only 5 steps are visible instead of the 6 that are supposed to be there. So how in the world can anyone label that coin as being well, or very well struck ?

A Merc is labeled FB (used to be FSB but was shortened) but other details of the fasces and or the details of the obv are weak, so how can you label that coin as well or very well struck ?

An SLQ is labeled as FH but yet there are rivets on the shield that are not even visible and other details that are weak, so how can you label that coin as well or very well struck ?

A Frankie is labeled as FBL but you can't read Pass and Stow on the bell, the wisp of hair in front of the ear on the obv is non existent and other details are weak, so how can label that coin as well or very well struck ?

The answer to all of these questions is simple - you cannot ! But yet they do. And to add insult to injury PCGS has weaker criteria for all of them than NGC does.

And the worst part of it is - the public buys into it. They fall all over themselves to buy these coins, and pay more for them, just because they have these meaningless, and I mean truly meaningless, "special designations" on the slabs. When there is nothing special about them !

21. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Buy the coin...not the holder!

Draft saved Draft deleted