Fugio1 top 10 for 2021

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Fugio1, Dec 30, 2021.

Tags:
?

Which coins are the most appealing? - choose up to 3

1. 1. Coelius Caldus - Denarius, 51 BC

18 vote(s)
    62.1%
  2. 2. Sicinius Coponius Denarius, 49 BC

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  3. 3. Nerva Denarius

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  4. 4. Divo Constantio Follis - Eagle

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  5. 5. Philip II, Tomis AE Pentassarion

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  6. 6. "C" Denarius

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. 7. Sow symbol Denarius

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  8. 8. TAMP series Denarius

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  9. 9. Owl symbol Denarius

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  10. 10 "D" symbol Denarius

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Half of my top 10 are early Roman Republican Denarii, a particular affinity of mine for the last 15 years or so. Over the last few years I had collected most of the common issues of the early denarius system, but the scarce or rare issues in nice condition are offered very infrequently. A couple of years ago, I decided to branch out my collecting discipline to other areas of ancient numismatics. To keep things interesting, I’ll start with five of these deviations from my main theme.

1. Coelius Caldvs IIIVIR Denarius, Crawford 437/1a, c. 51 BC
    437-1a C.Coelius Caldus - mag.jpeg

The weakness on the crown of Sol probably allowed this lot to go for a relatively low hammer price in the Roma XXI sale this year. I watched this coin early on because of its particularly pleasing style in the rendering of Sol (in spite of the weakness). The lovely toning was an added plus. Style conquers all.

2. Sicinius Coponius Denarius, Crawford 444/1a., BMCRR II p. 468, 24 c. 49 BC
    444-1-PSICINIA-Nomisma -2.jpeg
    This coin reached my watch list in a Nomisma sale this year where Inexplicably, it hammered for less than 300 euros. Unheard of in these times for just about any Roman Republican denarius in this condition. The coin also bears a 1991 NAC 4/A pedigree, where it sold for CHF 500. The only flaw is a fine flan crack at 6:00 obverse that is almost invisible.

An imperatorial issue with a neat story. Grueber provides quite a lot of information about the magistrates sharing the stage for this issue. Here is a summarized excerpt: “Early in 49, Sicinius was appointed a triumvir of the mint in Rome by the party of Pompey which was then in power. On the arrival of Caesar, Sicinius left Rome, evidently in the company of C. Coponius, who was one of the praetors at the outbreak of the Civil war, and who, having espoused the side of Pompey, followed him into Greece, where he had command of the Rhodian ships conjointly with C. Marcellus. Sicinius during the same year issued coins in the East in his own name and that of C. Coponius (this issue). On those coins ... Sicinius still styles himself "triumvir."
    This coinage which was evidently intended for the use of the fleet commanded by Coponius in the East, is of very exceptional nature, for we have an ordinary moneyer of the Roman mint still using his official title and striking money for a praetor urbanus who had vacated his office. To justify this action, the formula S.C. (Senatus Consulto) is added, in order that it might appear as if the coins were struck under senatorial authority. This instance is quite unique in the whole series of military coinages of the Roman Republic.”

Acquired: Nomisma SPA Auction 63.
    Ex NAC 4/A, 2/27/1991, lot 1661

3. Nerva Denarius – RIC 30b
    Nerva Denarius RIC 2-wht.jpeg
    I have a small collection of what I consider exceptional Roman Imperial denarii that I haven’t added to in several years. Denarii of Nerva can be found in great condition, but I have not often seen denarii with a realistic portrait of Nerva. This coin appealed to me because of its portrait style, along with the very round, broad flan and lovely old toning.

4. Eagle Reverse Divo Constantio – Follis RIC 202 (Lugdunum)
    Divo Constantio Eagle RIC 202.jpeg
    The coinage (and history) describing the rise and fall of the tetrarchies has been a favorite of mine since I first started collecting ancient coins in the late 70’s. I sold most of these series about a decade ago when I decided to focus on Early Republican silver. When I recently decided to de-focus my emphasis, I naturally gravitated to the coins of this era. They are interesting, and generally inexpensive. My intent was to only acquire issues with unusual reverses – no Genio or Moneta reverses need apply. This resolution lasted about 10 minutes, but that’s another story. The issue with Eagle reverse and undraped/veiled head obverse, is not rare, but somewhat scarce. The simplicity of the reverse is particularly charming to me.

5. Philip II, Tomis AE Pentassarion. RPC VIII, — (unassigned; ID 28158)
    Philip II Moesia Inf. Tomis AMNG 3613-blk.jpeg
    Obv: Μ ΙΟΥΛΙΟⳞ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟⳞ ΚΑΙⳞΑΡ; [M JULIVS PHILIPVS CAESAR] Confronted busts of Philip II, bare-headed, draped and cuirassed, r., seen from rear, and Sarapis, draped, l.
    Rev: ΜΗΤΡΟΠ ΠΟΝΤΟΥ ΤΟΜΕΩϹ [CITY <of the, by the?> SEA TOMIS]; Tyche standing facing, holding sceptre and cornucopia; at feet, r., Pontus Euxinus swimming r., crab claws on head.

Occasionally, I’ll see a coin that catches my eye but doesn’t fit into any of my collecting themes. The fascinating reverse of this coin of Tomis was one of these. This is the only Greek Imperial coin in my cabinet. It led me to a lot of reading and learning in places I hadn’t been before and now I look more closely and I am placing more serious bids on Roman Provincials (although after a year, still have not won any more.)

-------------------------
    The second five of my 2021 top 10 are some additions to my early Roman Republican silver focus.
    -------------------------
    6. "C" Denarius, c. 211-208 BC, Crawford 107/1(d?), BMCRR Italy 186 – “C” mintmark (Canusium?)
    107-1?-Wht.jpeg

In the RRC plates, Crawford depicts 3 very different stylistic variations (107/1a, b, and c) of these coins with a C above the Dioscuri. This is not one of them. Grueber does illustrate this variety on plate LXXXIV, #8. The meaning of the “C” symbol is lost and the subject of many speculations that it is likely a mint identity. Grueber suggests Canusium. Although no one would call these “fine style”, I’m intrigued by their unique style, and have examples of 107/1a and 1b. I now need only RRC 107/1c to hold all major variations of this enigmatic issue.

Acquired from NAC 125.

There is another, somewhat better example of this variety being offered in an upcoming auction.

7. Sow symbol Denarius, Crawford 121/2, 206-195 BC
    121-2-NAC-25-blk.jpeg
    This was a bit of a fortunate mistake for me. In my initial walk through of the lots in the NAC 125 sale, I looked once at this rare, high grade (and expensive) coin and excluded it from my watch list. I just didn’t think I had a chance with my budget. I didn’t look at it again until I was sitting in the live sale and the bidding stopped well below my expectations. Amazed, I clicked the bid button and got it. My earlier quick, myopic view of the coin overlooked the off-center reverse. This really bothered me at first as centering is one of the highest criteria in my condition standards. When the coin came, I loved it. The off-centering on this coin brings the symbol to center stage. Furthermore, the coin is otherwise about as struck and with excellent reflective surfaces.

Acquired from NAC 125.

8. TAMP series Denarius, c. 194-190 BC, Crawford, Crawford 133/2b, BMCRR Rome 557.
    133-2b-wht.jpeg
    The TAMP monogram series one of the exceptions to the usual anonymous or symbolled types found in the early years of the denarius. The monogram represents the name of a magistrate but it is uncertain who it represents. Crawford attributes this to Gnaeus Baebius Tamphilus, Praetor 168 BC, or possibly one of his cousins.

Acquired from Bertolami Auction 87, December 15, 2020

9. Denarius, Crawford 135/1, c. 194-190 BC – Owl symbol
    135-1-NAC-125-mag.jpeg

Another anonymous issue with an interesting Owl symbol. I particularly liked the round flan and that both sides were nicely centered. A nicer example has not emerged in major sales in more than a decade, and this fits with my major collecting theme so I watched this lot closely and prevailed. Crawford suggests the mint of Rome for this but the workmanship seems crude for a Roman mint issue.

Acquired from NAC 125.

10. D symbol Denarius, c. 199-170 BC, Crawford 171/1, C. 199-170 BCE.
    171-1-mag.jpg

This scarce issue comes with two style variations, which are described as the big D and little D varieties. This is an example of the slightly more plentiful little D variety, which I believe was executed with a more pleasing style. I bid aggressively on this as I had not seen a finer example of either variation.

Acquired from Soler y Llach auction May 6, 2021

Please show any related items in your collections.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I don't know much about Republican coinage, but I've scrolled through enough auction listings out of curiosity to know that you have some nice examples there.

Without having them shown and described back to back, I would not have noticed or realized the significance of the C, D, Owl, Tamp, and Sow symbols. Learn something new everyday!

4. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Lovely coins, Fugio1. I've got the TAMP denarius (and the other variety with the monogram under the horses) and the owl (a very miserable owl!), but not the D, sow or C yet.

This is is my rather worn example of Cr. 133/2a:
    [​IMG]

I hope you find more early rare types to add in 2022.

ATB,
    Aidan.

TIF, Curtisimo, ominus1 and 3 others like this.
  5. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Thank you @Cherd. These are tiny details, which originally had some important meaning to be placed on the coinage but we can only speculate what that meaning might be. The mystery has captured me, but not many others.

6. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Aidan, Thanks for sharing this. Cool. This is a significant variation which is substantially more scarce with the monogram below the horses. Congratulations.

7. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Fugio1, You scored some gems this year :happy:! My favorites are #1, 4, & 7, in that order. The R.R. denarius, #1 has finely engraved dies :cool:.

8. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Beautiful denarii @Fugio1. My favorites:
    #1: a lively Coelius Caldus and a beautiful Sol
    #2: historically interesting Sicinius Coponius denarius
    #10: Beautiful!

9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice coins, Fugio! I love the style of the D symbol Crawford 171/1. The other two I voted for were #1 and #3.

Fugio1 likes this.
  10. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Wonderful! 2, 5, and 7 are my favorites, with 1 close behind.

Fugio1 likes this.
  11. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

You have a good eye, and 2 was a real bargain - here is my version.
    I think its difficult to distinguish between Cr. 444/1a and 1b

upload_2021-12-31_8-12-22.png

Q. Sicinius and C. Coponius AR Denarius. Military mint moving with Pompey, 49 BC.

Diademed head of Apollo right, XVI monogram below, III VIR behind, Q. SICINIVS before
    Club of Hercules surmounted by lion’s skin between arrow and bow, PR. S. C on left, C. COPONIVS on right.

Crawford 444/1b; RSC Sicinia 2. 3.39g, 17mm, 5h.

TIF, Curtisimo, Fugio1 and 5 others like this.
  12. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Your #1 and #2 caught my eyes, beautiful !

Q

Fugio1 likes this.
  13. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

Very nice selection. I have to say the
    Sicinius Coponius Denarius is my favorite of the lot.

Fugio1 likes this.
  14. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Eye-popping additions to your collection, @Fugio1!

[​IMG]

The Sicinius/Coponius denarius is stunner! I, too, can't believe the hammer price. I really like the Philip II provincial with the personification of the Black Sea and Tyche; I find these personifications of geographical features fascinating.

Here's something relevant but not particularly noteworthy -- my Dioscuri and ROMA denarius.

[​IMG]
    L. Cupiennius, 147 BC.
    Roman Republican AR denarius, 3.89 g, 17.7 mm, 3 h.
    Rome, 147 BC.
    Obv: Helmeted head of Roma, right; cornucopiae behind; denominational mark X before.
    Rev: Dioscuri galloping right; L·CVP (VP ligatured) below; ROMA in exergue.
    Refs: Crawford (RRC) 218/1; RSC Cupiennia 1; Sydenham (CRR) 404; RCV 94.

rrdenarius, TIF, Curtisimo and 3 others like this.
  15. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

These are all great @Fugio1 . My favorites are your 1, 3 and 10. The style on your 1 and 10 really set them apart. The Nerva is a good type that is on my list.

Here is my Nerva denarius.
    E4E62155-6565-4257-9605-6C53ED628DD1.jpeg

16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What a surprising list from you, @Fugio1! Wasn't expecting those deviations :D.

Faves: the Coponius, the Caldus, and (for the fantastic reverse) the Tomis Philip II.

Wish I had some related coins to share.

Fugio1 likes this.
  17. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

@Curtisimo, Fantastic Nerva, lovely toning and great style portrait.

Draft saved Draft deleted