Fugio1 2020 top 10

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Fugio1, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

This is my first top 10 posting. For me, 2020 was a good year for numismatics. Historically I may buy 5-6 coins a year, so narrowing to my favorite 10 coins in a year would be easy. This year, I acquired a few more, so I actually have a problem deciding my favorite 10. This is a good problem to have.

For those of you who don’t know me, I’m a retired software engineer for Kodak where I worked for 45 years. I developed and supported manufacturing applications. I’ve collected coins relatively continuously since I was 10 years old with a short break for a few years of teenage insanity. I’ve actively collected and disposed of small collections of high grade US and British coins and I love all numismatics but my budget and my brain are not big enough to actively collect everything. In 1978, I bought my first ancient coin, a Roman Republican denarius from Tom McKenna, along with a copy of Seaby’s Roman Silver Coins volume 1, both of which I still own. I’ve always been fascinated by older stuff and became very interested in the origins of the denarius. These early coins of the denarius system form my principle collecting focus. About 10 years ago, I collaborated with Pierluigi Debernardi to create a website guide to the attribution of the fully anonymous denarii which can be found at this link:
    http://stevebrinkman.ancients.info/anonymous/index.html

Here are my favorite 10 of 2020, and some reasons why I chose to acquire these specific coins. I have shared most of these, if not all before, but putting this list together was fun. These are listed in order of their acquisition this year.

#1. Quinarius, “H” series, RRC 85/1; 2.24 gms.
    85-1-GandM-2.24g-2.jpg
    Acquired from Gorney & Mosch , January 17, 2020
    Ex Gerhard Hirsch Sept 25, 2019 lot 2555

I was actually an underbidder on this coin in the Hirsch sale the previous September, and ended up buying it for nearly double the hammer price (but without buyer’s fee) when I found it at the G&M table at the NYI. This quinarius issue comes in two flavors: one with the H under the horses, and one with the H behind the horse’s legs, an example of which I do not have. The meaning of the “H”, whether it is a moneyer’s mark or a mint mark, is unknown. The H quinarius is common, though early coins of the denarius system in high grade are generally uncommon. The H denarius on the other hand, is a great rarity, apparently unknown to Crawford, but a few have come up in recent years. My hopes of ever owning a denarius of this type are slim to none.

#2 Corinthian Stater – Calciati 455/1, Pegasi 457, 8.55 gm.
    Corinth Stater Calciati 455 8.55g Blk.jpg
    Acquired from Gorney & Mosch, January 2020
    Ex Gerhard Hirsch May 8, 2019, lot 368

I’m a casual collector of Greek coins. I have very few examples in my collection. On the first day of the New York International, I saw this coin at the G&M table where I bought the H quinarius (#1 above). Later in the evening, it appeared to me when I closed my eyes – It really spoke to me. The next morning first in the door, I walked directly to the G&M table and acquired it after minimal negotiation.

Though these staters of Corinth are among the most common and available issues in ancient Greek coinage today, finding one with good style, in high grade, and at the right price can be challenging. Two out of three isn’t bad in this case.

#3 Q. Pomponius Musa, Urania - RRC 410/8, 4.09 g.
    410-8-MVSA-Urania-4.09g-blk.jpg
    Acquired from Herb Kreindler at NYI, 2020
    Ex Roma Auction 18, 9/29/2019
    Ex CNG Triton XXII January 2019 lot 882
    Ex Alan J Harlan Collection, privately purchased from A.H. Baldwin & Sons LTD.

Herb Kreindler had relatively few coins at his table at the NYI, but I was struck by the remarkably high quality and beautiful examples that were in his display case. The beauty of this coin jumped out at me, but the price was more than I had ever spent on a coin. My decision to buy was one of the best decisions I made all year.

#4 Anonymous denarius, Crawford 53/2, Group 9 (RRC plate X.20)
    53-2-E1-Lucerne-4.15g-blk.jpg

Acquired from Lucernae, Feb 26, 2020
    Ex Leu Numismatik Auction 2, May 11, 2018,
    Ex CNG Triton XXII, January 8, 2019
    Ex Roma Numismatics, Auction 18, September 29, 2019

This is an example of the latest sub-group of the early fully anonymous peaked visor denarii classified by Crawford as 53/2. This sub-group is probably dated to the end of, or shortly after the close of the 2nd Punic War. This variety has eluded me in spite of it being perhaps the 2nd most common sub-group (following group 4 with flag capes). This appeared to me to be one of the finest examples I had seen, plus, the style is prototypical of most examples seen of this variety, so I thought it appropriate for my principal collecting theme of early Roman Denarii.

#5 Maximianus Follis – QVIES Reverse. RIC 788 (Trier)
    Maximianus QVIES 2nd Reign 5.85g hd rauch-blk lighter.jpg

Ex HD Rauch auction 29-Feb-2020
    Ex Numismatik Lanz Auction 100, Nov 20, 2000, lot 464

A couple of years ago, I decided to expand my relatively narrow Early Roman Republican silver focus to include later Roman Republican coins and also, Roman Imperial coins of the post reform tetrarchy up to the sole reign of Constantine in 313 AD. Specifically, I look for interesting and scarcer types. I like the folles of Trier. They are generally of excellent style and this example is no exception. The QVIES type is explicitly a retirement type. Although there is no "S[enior] AVG" in the legend, it is believed this coin was probably struck after the Carnuntum conference in 308 when Maximian was retired for the second time. The image suggests substantial remaining silvering but in fact there is only a trace, mostly on the obverse, but the dies were so fresh that the fields on both sides are highly reflective.

#6 Maxentius Follis, Wolf and Twins reverse RIC 52 (Ostia)
    Maxentius Ostia Wolf&Twins RIC52-blk2.jpg

CNG eSale 465, Lot 529

Another interesting type, one of the scarcer of the many scarce and rare types of Maxentius. The plates in RIC VI are generally reserved for the types not often seen. This is one of those types pictured in plate VII.

#7. L Manlivs Torquatus and Lucius Cornelius Sulla. Denarius, 82 BC, 4.00 gm.
    367:5 L Sulla- L Manius.jpg
    Nomisma Spa, eLive Sale 16, June 3, 2020

Earlier this year, I read Colleen McCullough’s “First man in Rome” on the recommendation of a friend. Though it is a work of historical fiction, the actual events and characters are laid out in a way that re-introduced the story of the rise of Sulla. I was sufficiently sensitized when this coin emerged in the Nomisma sale. This issue is by far the most common of Sulla’s issues but the early die state, Interesting atypical obverse style, and stunning natural toning on this coin drew me to bid strongly in this Nomisma Sale.

#8. L. Farsuleius Mensor. Denarius 76 BC, RRC 392/1b
    392-1b-FARSVLE-MENSOR-blk-3.86g.jpg
    Bertolami Auction 92, lot 871

Mensor is not known in History except for some speculation, so not a historically significant issue, but the obverse has an attractively rendered bust of Libertas, with SC behind indicating the issue was struck for a specific purpose directed by the senate. This issue is often found in nice condition. Though not a perfect example, the striking weakness on the shoulder of Libertas was hardly noticeable to me and the hammer price was reasonable.

#9. L. Furius Cn. F. Brocchus, Denarius, RRC 414/1
    414-1-3.97g-blk2.jpg
    From the collection of Andrew McCabe, Roma Numismatics Auction XX, Lot 433, Oct. 29, 2020
    Ex NAC auction 106, lot 438

I had a half dozen coins on my watch list for the Roma Auction XX, but decided this was the one I wanted. The obverse head of Ceres is of charming style, and near perfect natural toning made my decision easy. The detail on the reverse curule chair and fasces is very unusual. The hammer price was well below my maximum for this so for me it was a bargain. Brocchus is unknown in history but his coins are plentiful. I venture that they are not plentiful in this condition.

#10. TAMP series denarius, RRC 133/2b, 194-190 BC. 3.70 gms.
    133-2b-Bertolami-photo.jpeg
    Bertolami Auction 87, lot 224

Wrapping up the year I returned to the area of my truest passions, the origins and development of the denarius system in the late 3rd/early 2nd Century. Bertolami 87 was a remarkable sale of RR coins with several early Roman rarities, many smashing hammer price records for their types. The TAMP series, (as well as the closely related LPLH and AV series) has eluded me. These coins are not rare, but they are very scarce in high grade. I know I paid the right price because I pre-bid my maximum and live bidding went to that level and no further.

A dreadful year for almost everything else has turned out great for my collection. Share any context you can add or mistakes that I have made.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Great coins Fugio.
    2, 3 And 7 are my favorites.

4. otlichnik

otlichnik Well-Known Member

Very nice stuff. While I totally respect people who have only a single collecting focus, they often create unparalleled collections in their niche, I am glad there are others who, like me, have a number of interests that are not directly linked.
    Beautiful Corinthian, Republican and early Late Roman!

SC

DonnaML likes this.
  5. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Beautiful coins! #2,3,4 and 8 are my favorites. :)
    The Corinth stater has such great obverse portrait.

6. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Beautiful coins! Your Muse and Sulla are my favorites (3 and 7). The Sulla has incredible eye appeal.

And, that sounds like a fascinating era to have worked at Kodak!

DonnaML likes this.
  7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

As for myself, I'll choose #1, 2, 3, 4 and 9

Q

8. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Excellent coins Steve! It's tough for me to choose a favorite because they're all wonderful but that Muse really is an amazing example, as is the Sulla denarius.

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Gorgeous coins, @Fugio1 ! Thank you!!! My areas of collecting.

Small world. Back in the 90's my Team collaborated on a Memories / Scrapbooking project with Kodak (photo kiosks).

11. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Wonderful group, Steve! The Muse is my favorite, but all are terrific.

12. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

A truly beautiful group, @Fugio1. The Corinth stater is gorgeous (like you, I collect Greek coins casually, but that was a type I made sure to acquire). You may have noticed that I'm rather fond of Roman Republican coins myself -- even though I don't have any of the early anonymous ones at this point -- and I love all the examples you've posted here. My two favorites are probably the L. Farsuleius Mensor, and the Pomponius Musa. (I think that some of the Muse coins are artistically overrated, but not this one!)

Fugio1 likes this.
  13. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Congrats!!! You have an incredible top 10! The Republican denarii all have great eye appeal, but my favourites would have to be the anonymous denarius, Pomponius Musa and Sulla. The Maxentius is also fantastic!

14. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Hi Steve. I noticed the Bertolami TAMP during the sale. I thought it hammered very reasonably for quite a nice example. The H quinarius I already admired in NY. Congratulations!

Phil Davis

red_spork likes this.
  15. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

I have failed to pick a favorite - all exceptional coins. Thanks for sharing your top 10 & for the site on anonymous denarii.

16. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I would pick 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10

I like them all the same, very appealing to the eye/ fantastic top ten:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    John

spirityoda likes this.
  17. Spargrodan

Spargrodan Well-Known Member

I like the Corinthian and the Sulla the bes,. those two have very nice toning.

18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'll take one of each

19. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Yes indeed Donna, You are building a fine collection.

DonnaML likes this.
  20. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Phil, Going into the live auction, I was high bidder on 4 lots including this one. The other three hammered for 3-4 times my maximum so when the TAMP stopped at my maximum bid, I was very surprised.

Volodya likes this.
  21. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Fugio1, You posted 10 jaw droppers :jawdrop:! All of these are exquisite :D. My favorite is #5, the Maximian follis. This piece looks to good to be just a coin, it must have been a special issue to be handed out to special people ;). The engraving on both sides is sensational. My 2nd favorite is #3, what a sensational portrait on that coin, & no distracting inscriptions on the obverse too :). My 3rd favorite is #8, both sides of this coin showcase great design & engraving.

Draft saved Draft deleted