FUGIO Coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Gmacsmiles, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Gmacsmiles

Gmacsmiles New Member

Any information on estimates of how many Fugio coins survived from the estimated 400,000 that were minted ? Pcgs has around 2000 on file NGC didn’t count exact number but guessing under 4,000 that are know about? Looks like MS grades are readily available on most current auction sites. This coin seems to be down in value last decade guess I am wondering with such low population numbers why prices aren’t moving upwards on these ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT. Prices on coins will move up when there is demand. Demand would be stimulated by an increase in coin collectors who WANT the coin type or an event calls it to people's attention. Popularity is a fickle mistress.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. Gmacsmiles

Gmacsmiles New Member

I am noticing a lot of problems with these coins in the MS grades as well. Quite a difference on a anacs coin and NGC , pcgs ms coin price

5. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Tough to say how many are still around. I wouldn't put much stock in how many have been graded, many, maybe most, colonial collectors prefer their coins raw.

6. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

You could look at Bowers' book on Colonials, he assigns each variety a URS # that corresponds to a rough estimate of the numbers extant for each variety. If you took the time to add up the high and low estimates you could make a rough guess, I suppose. I'm too lazy though. fugio cent 1787 clash obv.jpg fugio cent 1787 clash rev.jpg fugio cent 1787 15-Y obv.jpg fugio cent 1787 15-Y rev.jpg

Eduard and longshot like this.
  7. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Here is a cool site if you haven't checked it out yet:
    https://coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/Fugio.intro.html
    Not sure if anyone knows a more exact number than 400,000. As to value, its the supply and demand game. Early American Coppers are in buyers market cycle; great time to shop for Fugio coppers if they are to you liking. Many are available right now. Bowers' book on Colonials is fantastic!
    Here is some interesting info on the Fugio die maker Abel Buell:
    http://www.newenglandhistoricalsoci...ts-first-map-the-mapmaker-gains-back-his-ear/

Also, one might note that us half cents are quite rare but not popular. Where as an Lincoln S VDB is not really that rare but is popular. Makes no sense to me.

8. Gmacsmiles

Gmacsmiles New Member

TJC that’s very good info, thanks! I am curious why such a large price gap on some F15 and VF coins . $500- $2200 ? A lot of bad coins bringing more money than I would pay

9. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Great die clash variety Ksparrow! Nice eye appeal!

@ Gmacsmiles: Supply and demand, variety, eye appeal, grade, die cracks, cuds, clips, cleaned uncleaned, environmental damage, slabbed, not slabbed etc... all play a role in pricing. I highly suggest Bowers book on colonials. Follow closed auctions, handle as many coins as you can, follow CT threads and you will get to know the series.
    Here is an eight star variety with die cracks, a planchet flaw, & a clip. Does any of this affect desirability/value? For me, yes:) This is my favorite Fugio.

1787Fugio8Star339xO.jpg 1787Fugio8Star339xR.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted