FSR: Ancient Coin Bargain List

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Apr 8, 2020.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I think I screwed myself by getting those last two coins :(

Ryro likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Your wording couldn’t be funnier.
    I was just talking to my wife about all the poor folks that are sheltering in place without a lover. She said pretty soon it won’t be hand sanitizer they are hoarding, it’ll be “hand“ lotion!
    Ps, your package will arrive and it’ll be glorious

4. furryfrog02

Lol. *self edited just in case* :)

I'm hoping for Monday. I have to go back to work for my "essential personnel" week. It'd be nice to come home to some coins in the mailbox :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Justin Lee, Orielensis and Ryro like this.
  5. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

They have arrived. Apparently the Neptune reverse went to somebody else, but I still got the other Postumus I wanted as well as a Herennia Etruscilla. Both have attractive portraits but are struck from somewhat struck reverse dies. Yet, for $30 shipped, that's a splendid deal in my opinion.

Here are some quick iPhone pictures that don't do these coins justice. It's already to dark to take proper photographs today.

IMG_2981.jpg

IMG_2982.jpg

I hope all of your FSR coins will arrive soon!

DonnaML, ominus1, Paul M. and 9 others like this.
  6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I excitedly open my package from Frank this morning.
    The 3 coins I’d won went in this order:
    Good:), really good:wideyed: and then TRAGEDY:jawdrop::inpain::hurting::sorry:
    First, a fun coin from Locri with a beefy Athena and a big batch of grapes:
    ECE9F5D5-A1CF-4C56-A245-D95FEAE20CC8.jpeg 3670BECF-D5C9-4B4A-9E24-526D908F0F3E.jpeg

I was very excited with this one (my first of it’s kind). Pan’s has some good detail and the reverse is great. But ooooeeee! That patina is a beauty:
    774CB7FA-9BF5-4286-B4D7-0DE7334A12B2.jpeg E4C36AC9-71E0-4DBF-B104-8D93C125E24C.jpeg

It is described as having a hole. Amazingly, it still does. All the damage it endured from travel has broken it into many tiny shards, how the hole in the middle didn’t cause it to break in half is beyond me. Oh well. Overall, I’m still happy with the coins. Maybe just a sign that I need to give up on Sassanians. This one followed by a fake i had acquired a time ago (not from Frank) make me leery, weary or just dreary of them:confused:
    308F35B8-9822-4A49-9804-265D1D5689E5.jpeg E1B815EB-E31D-4E72-80DF-58BFC58E790A.jpeg

Does anyone have the list Frank originally sent out? I’d like to read his descriptions of these. When he puts in a good wise crack I always like to include that with my coins description.

Anyway, Happy Easter my CT pals:
    59ED52EF-B464-4F5C-BEFE-03840FB34DFE.jpeg

DonnaML, ominus1, Paul M. and 7 others like this.
  7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Mine didn't show up have to wait til Monday I suppose.

8. furryfrog02

Bummer on that Sassanian @Ryro :( that Pan is a beauty though!

Ryro likes this.
  9. furryfrog02

My Julia Domna and Severus Alexander came today. These were add-ons to my original email to Frank so I'm wondering if perhaps I didn't get any of the others? I emailed him just to check. Either way, I like em. Shame about the chip on the reverse of the Severus.

Julia Domna,
    Odessos, Thrace
    AE18
    193-217 AD
    Obverse: IOYLIA DOMNA C, draped bust right
    Reverse: ODECCEITWN, Herakles standing front, looking right, leaning on club, holding bow and lionskin
    IMG-6742-removebg-preview.png

I can't find this Severus Alexander on wildwinds or rpc. All their examples have three standards. Mine has four. Can anyone help me out here?

It has an old tag that says:
    Severus
    Alexandar
    Nikaia AE20
    Bythinia
    222-235
    Aristos Ancients
    IMG-6744-removebg-preview.png

EDIT: Looks like it was misattributed!
    I did some google-fu and found this old thread here on CT where @Romancollector nailed it:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/2-mysterys-for-me-in-one-coin.317487/
    Then I hopped over to wildwinds and badda-bing-badda-boom!

Gordian III
    Nicaea, Bithynia
    AE19
    AD 238-244
    Obverse: M ANT ΓOΡΔIANOC AVG, radiate, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: N-I-K-A-I-EΩN between and beneath two legionary eagles between two standards
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Parthicus, DonnaML, Clavdivs and 5 others like this.
  10. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I just sent Frank an email about a couple of the mystery lots from his bargain list:

305. -- Lot of 35 ALL DIFFERENT varieties, all strictly VF 64.75
    306. — Lot of 10 different varieties, VF-EF very nice 19.95

Not only am I very interested to see what shows up for under $2/coin, it should give me something to do for at least one weekend afternoon.

Justin Lee and Clavdivs like this.
  11. furryfrog02

My other package came today and I was both pleasantly surprised and disappointed at the same time. Of the 16 coins I was interested, 4 arrived. I was really hoping for one of the Egyptian Ptolomeys since I have been wanting one for a while now. Looks like I will keep on wanting haha. There were a couple denari that I was interested in and missed out on as well.

Complaining over...the 4 that came today are all pretty cool in their own right. Without further ado here they are:

Alexandreia Troas
    AE13
    3rd-2nd BC.
    Obverse: Laureate head of Apollo left Reverse: ALEX above horse grazing left, ΠΡ monogram below, thunderbolt in exergue

I like everything about this coin
    Troas Alexandria AE13.png

Abydos, Troas
    Civic Coinage
    AE 24mm
    320-200 BC
    Obverse: Turreted head of Artemis right
    Reverse: ABY, eagle standing right on thunderbolt, head turned left; kantharos to right

I don't like the obverse of this coin. Looks like it was lacquered or something before. But the reverse is beautiful
    Troas, Abydos AE20.png

This one has an old tag from "The Fountain Head of Fine Coins, Coram NY"
    It is listed as a bust of Valerian II but I was unable to find it on wildwinds or rpc.
    Here is what the tag says:

Pisidia Sagalassus CA 256AD
    AE18
    Diad bust of Valerian II r. Rv Nike Adv l, holding wreath and palm
    IMG-6750-removebg-preview.png

The closest I could find on RP that looks similar is this one from Trebonianus Gallus with Volusian on the obverse. What do you think?
    https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/9/959

Lastly, my favorite coin of the 4. And the cheapest, at a princely sum of $7.95.

Julia Domna
    Stobi, Macedonia
    AE23
    Obverse: IVLIA AVGVSTA, draped bust right
    Reverse: MVNICI-P STOBE, Nike walking left, holding wreath and palm
    IMG-6752-removebg-preview.png

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

All in all, I believe you did well.
    There are several side hobbies available to those who collect ancient coins. I take photos, others study history in depth but one that is fun is catching ID errors made by the professionals. OK, calling an 'old tag' professional may be pushing the matter but eventually you will find one in the British Museum or the biggest of big name dealers and will feel good about it. It is fun at shows asking dealers to look again at their ID of a coin and seeing which ones say thanks and which ones get mad. As a, let's say, non-rich guy you will never have the kind of collection that makes the dealers fight over your bones when you are gone but that doesn't mean you can't have more fun out of this than the Hunt Brothers.

13. furryfrog02

Now that I have a Septimius Severus and Julia Domna provincial with Victory on the reverse, I fee the need to finish the family with a Caracalla and Geta.

Theodosius, Justin Lee and DonnaML like this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have neither Provincial. I have not researched it but it could be interesting to see what there are before you go searching for what does not exist. Here is a Geta Imperial.
    rm6970bb1117.jpg

Ryro, Johndakerftw, Bing and 4 others like this.
  15. furryfrog02

I looked on wildwinds and also vcoins. I think it is doable if not a bit pricey (for me) There is one on vcoins now for $65 from Pisidia.

16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I donate to several of these afflictions, due to their annual impacts on our lives:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

CDC Death Rates for the US Year 2017

Number of deaths for leading causes of death: (Daily and Weekly are ROUNDED)
    • Heart disease: 647,457 or 1770/day; or 12,440/week
    • Cancer: 599,108 or 1,640/day; or 11,480/week
    • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936 or 465/day; or 3,255/week
    • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201 or 435/day; or 3,070/week
    • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383 or 400/day; or 2,800/week
    • Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404 or 330/day; or 2,325/week
    • Diabetes: 83,564 or 225/day; 1,600/week
    • Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,672 or 150/day; 1,065/week
    • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 50,633 or 135/day; 970/week
    • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173 or 125/day; 900/week

https://carsurance.net/blog/car-accident-statistics/
    Car Accident Statistics – Highlights
    • Over 40,000 fatal car accidents per year in the U.S.
    • Each day, more than 90 Americans die in car accidents.
    • On average, 2 million drivers experience a permanent injury every year.

Bing likes this.
  17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Puts things in perspective doesn't it? But, other than influenza, none of the above are transmitted person-to-person like the Covid-19

Paul M. and Alegandron like this.
  18. Alegandron

I read some interesting articles on Influenza death reporting. Many death certs are supposedly recorded under other afflictions instead of the Flu... Basically, it is being stated that actual Flu deaths are disproportionately UNDERSTATED. I am skeptical, but Flu deaths may be recorded as "respiratory complications", and other complications, etc. vs. dying of Flu. The various articles' concerns were that CDC was not consistently recording Flus vs. Covid...

19. furryfrog02

Same thing is being done with Covid.

Alegandron likes this.
  20. Alegandron

Agreed.

21. furryfrog02

My favorite one is the Chilean health minister who said they are counting those who died of Covid as “recovered” since they no longer have Covid...

Paul M. and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted