FS: PCGS64 - Finest Liberte Francoise medal -(A la Libertas Americana) flowing hair / liberty cap

Discussion in 'Auction Listings' started by conderluva, Apr 11, 2019.

1. conderluva

conderluva Junior Member

[​IMG]

This medal is another of my favorite pieces. It too is up for sale in Heritage Central States world auction. It is PCGS-64 tied for the finest (although it really is the FINEST certified of it’s variety - read below for more on that) https://coins.ha.com/itm/france/fra...ge-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyConsignment-112816

Commonly referred to as the “Liberte Francoise” medal, this cast medal was made by French engraver Andre Galle in 1792. The obverse design clearly inspired by Dupre’s Libertas Americana medal. I’ve read (though sources were not noted) that this piece was Galle’s first significant work after his arrival in Paris. Allegedly, it was used in part to either help him secure a coining contract for the Paris Mint or help him gain employment with the Paris Mint.

For the grade hound:
    As to why it’s technically the finest certified...This variety is Maz-318a (the slightly harder-to-come-by ‘double weight’ test variety). However, PCGS made an error labeling it calling it only Maz-318. The Heritage cataloger noted this in the lot description as well. They should have graded this as an SP-64, Maz-318a.

In my experience, the majority of both maz-318 or 318a come in XF-AU, fewer MS60-62, 63 is rare, and 64’s almost never, and there are zero 65s. They can suffer from unsightly porosity in all grades including 64. In fact, HA sold one such porous 64 back in 2010. The piece presently offered has superior surfaces.

longshot and cpm9ball like this.