FS Nickel?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by meandyou4ever0, Mar 23, 2023.

1. meandyou4ever0

meandyou4ever0 meandyou4ever0

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Nope.

You can clearly see circulation marks on the steps.
    IMHO

Spark1951 and meandyou4ever0 like this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The FS designation is reserved for Mint State coins, the steps on your coin look real nice, but it is hard to tell if the 4th and 5th steps are seperated in areas.
    Fun find Meandyou.

Mountain Man and meandyou4ever0 like this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm seeing a few marks on the steps as well but the image is a bit out of focus.

Spark1951 and meandyou4ever0 like this.
  6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

To be honest modern FS Jefferson nickels are just about found on every coin. True some may have hits but the design change makes finding nickels with steps easier than without. I believe that now NGC gives a 5 fs and a 6 fs on the slab... but again the term has little to no merit with the Jefferson collector as the FSNC was formed to find Jeffs of the 40,50,and 60's with a great strike making the steps full.
    Find a 1964 or 64 D full steps and your in high cotton. ;)

7. meandyou4ever0

I look for them and I have found a few 64's but there is not a single defined step.

8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Yeah I may have a few left that the total lower porch as well steps arent there look at the mintage on 64 P and D... those dies must of exploded.

9. Pickin and Grinin

64 was the last year of the original Jefferson design. It is much easier but still incredibly hard to find a 64P 5FS nickel, 1-30. 6FS are unknown.
    It is even harder to find a 5FS 64D, 1-2000.
    6FS are unknown.

Infact starting in 1960. Philly kept the best dies and sent the worst dies to Denver. Finding a 5FS nickel from Denver was 1-2-3000. Till the redesign in 65.

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Afraid not as the wear is interfering with the steps.

11. Collecting Nut

Here is the only war nickels with full steps that I have a photo of. Please reference the steps so your can see the differences. 529BC913-A435-4F4B-B66D-F32A69D72A6E.jpeg 5BC2250F-18E4-4FC0-B433-B65E482D5AEE.jpeg

meandyou4ever0 and Spark1951 like this.
  12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Full Steps? I'm waiting for them to install an escalator. LOL

meandyou4ever0 likes this.
  13. meandyou4ever0

In my own defense, there are no marks on the steps at all. My picture quality is not the best. Here is another shot of the steps. 2023-3-24 21-26-54.jpg

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  14. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Can you darken it up some? I forgot my Sunglasses. :jimlad:

15. Collecting Nut

I see a few light marks that are interfering with the steps and the steps themselves are worn. It doesn’t take much to make them non-full steps.

16. Pickin and Grinin

For a coin to be considered FS, all the steps must show breaks in between them. There can be light contact on the points of the steps but they cannot go deeper than the breaks.

17. meandyou4ever0

Thank you all. I see now. Would've been cool to find a FS on a date that has not been discovered yet. Besides the FS boomer, the coin looks very nice to be 22 yrs in circulation.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  18. meandyou4ever0

Bummer*

19. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

What's the best source to identify the Full Steps (FS) on the Jefferson Nickels?

20. Pickin and Grinin

Not sure what you mean Jim. The guide book to Buffalo and Jefferson nickels would be a start.
    It says that the 92D above is 1 in every 2 is 5FS, and common for 6FS.

meandyou4ever0 likes this.
  21. meandyou4ever0

I tried. Not successful, my phone camera and magnifiers settings are blahhhhh

Draft saved Draft deleted