FS: MS64 Bronze Anti-Slavery “AM I NOT A WOMAN & SISTER”

Discussion in 'Auction Listings' started by conderluva, Mar 30, 2019.

1. conderluva

conderluva Junior Member

I’m selling a few choice and very rare pieces in the upcoming Heritage Central States auction.

[​IMG]

This medal is one of my all-time favorite acquisitions. It is a near-gem BHM-1669 which bears the same motto and general theme as Hardtimes token Low-54. BHM-1669 is a larger and much more refined production by expert English engraver and manufacture Thomas Halliday.

The obverse features a shackled female slave on bended knee, before a standing personification of Justice. Above, AM I NOT A WOMAN AND A SISTER. Below, LET US BREAK THEIR HANDS ASUNDER AND CAST AWAY THEIR CORDS. PSALM II:3. On the reverse is a wreath laced with a ribbon that bears the names of prominent British abolitionists.

Examples of this medal appear on occasion. They are virtually always in white metal and with hairlines, rim bruising and at least a few tiny spots of corrosion. So naturally I wanted to beat the odds and find an excellent problem-free unc. I was elated when the presently offered specimen crossed my path. I consider this extremely rare as it is not only finer than any other BHM-1669 that I could trace, but is far rarer to begin with, having been stuck in bronze.

I thought the grade given by NGC to be a bit conservative. It’s stunning in hand; the surfaces are lustrous and essentially free of the type of distractions and hairlines that can often be inclusive of an MS64. I was pleasantly surprised to see the cataloger at Heritage had picked up on the same and noted such in the lot description. He/She arrived at that conclusion independently of my own thoughts as I had not communicated this to HA.

Lot 33065: https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-brit...065.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Chris B likes this.