Frosty toned mirrors Morgan $

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by heavycam.monstervam, Mar 29, 2015.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

What does she grade? Fresh new pickup from a show in cincy driving home now so thought id snap a few before the 1-1/2 hour trip home...
    What say you? CAM02097.jpg CAM02092.jpg

Attached Files:

swamp yankee and spirityoda like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I hope you had both hands on the wheel when you snapped that pic. :)

Sweet coin.

4. heavycam.monstervam

Notice i said BEFORE, kids, don't coin talk and drive!:astronaut::beaver:

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

6. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

Nice coin. Hard to tell if it's PL or Semi PL with the pics. I'll go with 64.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Altered surfaces.

8. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

MS-64 Semi Prooflike. I love the toning on that coin!

aside-horz.jpg

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  9. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Where?

10. Coin-Dude

Coin-Dude Active Member

I hope he is not checking his phone while driving.
    You drop a bomb like that and he might have a wreck!
    His pictures are taken thru the plastic and its hard to get super images.
    What is it that causes you to suspect this coins surface is altered?
    Educate us please.

11. coinman1234

It looks fine to me, I do not see anything that screams, "Altered Surfaces"

12. heavycam.monstervam

Please elaborate dear kind sir! It WAS hard to refrain from replying to this whilst driving!

13. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

14. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

15. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Can't tell from the photos. Eagles chest seems to have some rub, as well as the top of Miss Liberties hair. I wish I could see the obverse in focus.

AU or MS62.

16. heavycam.monstervam

17. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Several places, but most noticeable on rev. Look at the pic and the areas I have circled.

AS Morgan (2).jpg

The area of the fields I have circled in red are not toned, but more importantly they are undisturbed, unaltered as well. The area of the fields I have circled in green are toned, but undisturbed, unaltered. And any other area of the coin's fields should look like one or the other of those.

Now look at the area of the fields I have circled in yellow on the right. See the horizontal lines running through that area ? And if you look at the top, the area of the fields I have circled in blue, it's pretty easy to see a vertical orientation to what I can only describe as scrape marks. And that area of the coin's fields (surfaces) are distinctly different from any other area of the field, including those that are toned and not toned. Look immediately below that area, look at the red, the green, even the yellow, and compare them.

I can draw no other conclusion but that the surfaces of this coin have been altered.

19. heavycam.monstervam

I guess my rebuttal would be #1 that the photo was done in direct sunlight on my car trunk. From my experience mirrored surface OR proof coins come with splotchy toning such as this, depending series and storage. Think brown box ikes.This particular coin is actually a late die state that has been agressively worked over by a mint employee. Its probably the worst early S mint ive seen, Its pitted and the letters are mushy, not even close to sharp 90° angles that are usually. seen. There is die polish/adjustment over 90% of the coin w heavy striations in the fields and polishing lines thru the hair cheek, ear, eye, eagles wings, breast, feathers, void behind neck, wreath,and denticles. In my experience w these types of coins. The key is to find lines that run THRU or UNDERNEATH the letters and continue out the other side. This coin has picked up quite a few bag marks/rub along its journey. I believe that is what you were seeing in the photo:areas with rub, but from other coins, not from a coin doctor. And my images made it an optical contusion. Heres another: CAM02131.jpg

Attached Files:

20. coinman1234

That looks to be prooflike based on that photo.

21. heavycam.monstervam

Its amazing how much different a coin looks
    in different lighting

coinman1234 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted