"frosted" cameo proof

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Johnc, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Johnc

Johnc New Member

Can someone define a "frosted" cameo proof to me?
    (In reference to lincoln cents)
    I thought the def. of "cameo proof" (stand alone) indicated a frosted raised surface.
    Is the term frosted redundent? :confused:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

I believe that "frosted" indicates the white devices in a proof (I have actually also seen it on some BU coins); "cameo" technically means a higher relief design. I think it is possible to have a cameo that is not frosted but a higher relief coin in contrast to the field than other proof coins.

I have seen frosted proof cents and high, sharp relief proof cents with no frosting. Therefore, I think the description "frosted cameo proof" would indicate a frosted, high relief design in contrast with the field - the same as a deep cameo.

Anyone who disagrees, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

4. Metalman

Metalman New Member

I have heard the terms Deep cameo and frosted used as the same thing, but just because a coin is designated as cameo does not of necessity mean that it is a frosted cameo,, Here is a pic of a frosted cameo cent and a quarter which is deep cameo but in my opinion would not reach the frosted degree.

By the way my photography is not the best, Im saving up for some new stuff but not quite there yet dollar wise.

Attached Files:

5. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Now both of those look frosted to me (it may be the pictures; heck, it may be my eyes. I'm getting very tired :D ). As far as I can remember, I have never seen a TPG graded deep cameo that was not frosted. I have seen cameo proofs that were not frosted however.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Frosted and cameo, when speaking of coins, can mean the same thing, but they don't always. Both terms apply to the devices of a coin appearing as if it had been left outside on a cold night and had a layer of frost (just like you see on the grass or your windshield) deposited on the devices of the coin.

The devices of many business strike Morgan dollars are often spoken of as frosted - but they are not cameo. Typically, only Proof coins are spoken of as cameo or deep cameo. This is because the devices of the Proof dies were sandblasted to provide the cameo or frosted effect. Today the dies are etched with lasers to provide the same effect.

But the term cameo is not used, when speaking of coins, in the same manner as when you are talking of say a cameo ring or piece of jewelry. So you cannot have a cameo coin that is not frosted.

7. Metalman

Metalman New Member

to me the frosted effect which is present on the lincoln cent is such due to appearance of it actually standing away from the surface of the coin for lack of a better descriptive term, while that of the washington quarter actually has the appearance of a smooth layer,, I agree that they both look similar but in person the cent has demension to the frosted portions.

this appearance decreases as the dies are used which in my mind as this occures they become cameo, and lose the stand up frosted appearance.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Some basic definitions as taken from a numismatic dictionary.

frost
    A crystallized-metal effect seen in the recessed areas of a die, thus the raised parts of a coin struck with that die. This is imparted to dies by various techniques, such as sandblasting them or pickling them in acid, then polishing the fields, leaving the recessed areas with frost.

frosted devices
    Raised elements on coins struck with treated dies that have frost in their recessed areas. Such coins have crystalline surfaces that resemble frost on a lawn.

Cameo
    The term applied to coins, usually Proofs and prooflike coins, that have frosted devices and lettering that contrast with the fields. When this is deep the coins are said to be “black and white” cameos. Occasionally frosty coins have “cameo” devices though they obviously do not contrast as dramatically with the fields as the cameo devices of Proofs do.

Deep Cameo
    The term applied to coins, usually Proofs and prooflike coins, that have deeply frosted devices and lettering that contrast with the fields - often called “black and white” cameos.

Bottom line folks - a coin cannot be termed as cameo without frosted devices.

Draft saved Draft deleted