From type set album to pcgs registry

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Whipps, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Whipps

Whipps Well-Known Member

I recently started a pcgs registry set and I really enjoy the competitive aspects of it. My main focus was on my type set album. So now I'm trying to decide if it would be easier or more cost effective to get some of my raw coins graded, trade them towards certified examples or just sell them outright and start looking to buy new certified coins. Has anyone found them selves at this point or have any input?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

I suspect you will need to take a piece by piece approach. Some of your pieces will probably be worthwhile to slab, and the others will be worthwhile to sell. I somewhat doubt you'll be able to make many trades with dealers, unless you're willing to take a fairly significant hit.

4. Whipps

Whipps Well-Known Member

I do plan to send in my gold coins. Do you happen to know if it would be cheaper at the Baltimore Whitman show?

5. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Haven't a clue.

6. gibsport

gibsport Active Member

I did the same thing. I only sent coins in that I figured were worth upwards of $200 dollars. I got a couple real pleasant surprises and nothing given a details grade. Some of the lower cost stuff you can practically buy for the cost of sending a coin in to be graded depending on how high a grade you want.

7. gibsport

gibsport Active Member

I did the same thing. I only sent coins in that I figured were worth upwards of $200 dollars. I got a couple real pleasant surprises and nothing given a details grade. Some of the lower cost stuff you can practically buy for the cost of sending a coin in to be graded depending on how high a grade you want.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You save postage mailing the coins to them. The other advantage is the show grading option which is more expensive but the coins will be done before the show ends which is a much faster turn around time.

Like mentioned above in terms of cost effectiveness all three options will probably be the most effective. Some you could probably trade to someone, others will be better to sell and rebuy already slabbed and others will be worth sending in. There's really no way to know without knowing what's in it, though more than likely at least the modern page of the type set will be cheaper to buy already slabbed

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Don't get caught up in the competitive aspect, unless you want to expend numerous dollars getting a top tier set. Is that what this is all about?

I've got three registry sets listed at PCGS, and I could give a whim or a care at where I stand in the ratings........oh, it's fun indeed to see yourself move up a point or two, but no way in hell am I ever gonna achieve that storied #1 rating.........my freakin' pockets ain't deep enough.........and that's what rates there. Ya got the bucks, you're gonna make others schmucks. I don't get caught up in pissing contests.......prostrate problems.........

C-B-D and micbraun like this.
  10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Find an obscure set or brand new one get to number one real quick and take advantage of the free pedigree option before the big money floods in :p

green18 likes this.
  11. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

If you're going to do a bunch of coins, get a platinum membership. It includes 8 coin gradings (only for coins worth $3000 or less, and not at show speed). All you save on submitting at a show (assuming you're not in a hurry) is the postage of mailing the coins to PCGS. If you want show speed, it costs about 2X. I've never considered it worth it.

You might consider adding "Secure" service, which is only $5 more per coin. In addition to making and storing laser scans of your coins, lately they have been taking hi res photos which you can access online. Saves paying $10 for TrueView photos.

Cal

12. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I like my coins raw, so my opinion would not be worth anything.

okbustchaser likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted