From the same die?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Seattlite86, May 20, 2016.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Okay, I'll start by saying these are the worst photos I think I've ever posted on CoinTalk. I apologize; I just moved and have not unpacked all of the lamps yet. I was looking through a couple of tubes of IHCs that I was thinking of bringing to the show tomorrow and sell. I wanted to give one last look to make sure I didn't overlook something. I didn't find anything too crazy, just some die cracks. I did, however, find two 1903 cents that have the same die crack on the on the 6 o'clock of the reverse going from south east to north west. I was wondering if these were possibly struck from the same die and if anyone else has one similar or with a later die state?

IMG_6234.JPG IMG_6231.JPG IMG_6232.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

From your images they look more like clashes then a die crack.

4. Seattlite86

They're terrible. I'll take better ones when the sun comes up.

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Sun coming up tomorrow . ....ha ha better get the life Jacks out and report to the mustered station. That big yellow thing you saw today in the sky was a tease..... :)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Just a crazy thought here, but you could always try those new-fangled thingies called light bulbs....

Seattlite86 and Paul M. like this.
  7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Have you checked the Snow listings for 1903? You might be able to attribute both coins as the same variety. Or, maybe not, since 1903 was a high mintage year. That's what I'd do, in any case.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Looks like the same reverse die. It won't be in the Snow book for the die crack. Those are almost all repunched or misplaced dates.

Seattlite86 and Paul M. like this.
  9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Looks like it to me; it overlays nicely from the limited amount of photographic detail in these images.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. Seattlite86

Okay, I deserved all the jokes I got. Here are better photos of the coins:

IMG_6245.JPG IMG_6248.JPG IMG_6250-horz.jpg IMG_6251-horz.jpg

11. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Looks good to me. I'd call it a match.

Draft saved Draft deleted